• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 3 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 3 Position for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie mac

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
He may think it is a bit of a travesty if Walcott goes vote-less.

Yes that is it, any man who can score 5 tons in one series against Miller, Lindwall and Johnston is a fair player, and does not deserve to go voteless.

And as my vote would have had no bearing on the final result I would have given one to the greatest batsman/wk

bagapath

International Captain
i've gone for viv. it is probably because i grew up watching him as the all-conquering champion batter. ponting's numbers (and walcott's) are better than his. but still richards deserved to be pencilled down in this team as early as possible for earning the respect of great fast bowlers and spinners alike. punter still has a point to prove against quality spin. walcott's record looks fabulous but the other two guys were lucky enough to play longer and prove their longevity by maintaining a 50 + average over 100 tests. very very tough call. but it had to be viv for me.

and i hope we select sobers at 6 and allow two more great champions in the middle order. if we select four bowlers of the highest quality then sobers is more than enough as the fifth bowler.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
This polls a bit harsh on Clyde Walcott actually as if you remove the 15 tests that he played as wicket-keeper, his record is as follows:

Walcott: 29 tests, 2910 runs @ 64.66, (12/11), HS 220

So this means he scored over 100 runs per test, plus his average would be the 2nd best in history (for > 40 innings)......only Bradman beats him on this record I think...

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
All three are all-time greats.

I'll vote for Ponting, because, to be honest, I never got to watch Richards in him pomp and Ponting is an amazing batsman to watch.

Also, Weekes > Walcott, IMO.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Beleg said:
All three are all-time greats.

I'll vote for Ponting, because, to be honest, I never got to watch Richards in him pomp and Ponting is an amazing batsman to watch.

Also, Weekes > Walcott, IMO.
Richards was better to watch, trust me.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
You've watched Richards play live? :shocking:
I wish :laugh:

Well, not straight for me, but my dear old father has, and heard from many credible sources, that he was one of, if not the, best player to watch.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No one touches Richards as a batsman to watch. His Test average of 50 doesn't do his talent justice, it probably shows up the slight flaws in his character in that especially in the later years he wasn't prepared to play himself in. Some say he got bored or had lapses in concentration, which again is a flaw in his character. When he was still not established in the West Indies side he looked capable of batting forever especially against England in 1976 when he made over 800 runs in 4 Tests. I enjoy watching Ponting bat but he's not in the same league as Richards.