Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pakistan pace battery

U19 Captain

Pakistan pace battery

suddenly pakistan finds at its disposable a pool of very capable fast bowlers, ofcourse there is still time left before the world cup, but what would ur pick be, ignoring ur biased or un biased views after what asif and shoaib have been through.

so this is what they have right now

umar gul
    rana
    mohammad sami
    shoaib akhrar
    asif
    iftikhar anjum
    shahid nazir
    and possibly shabbir ahmad

im pretty sure asif is a given choice, some would argue akhtar is too including myself
    for the rest of the spots there is stiff competition

what would be ur pick

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I would not select Asif and Akthar for the duration of their original ban.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I'm sure if PCB had any spirit of the game, they wouldn't. But they probably will select them

-Dravid

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    That's a bit strange coming from you to be honest. You always have the attitude of "do whatever it takes to win as long as its within the law, screw sportsmanship" yet you don't think PCB should include the best two seamers in Pakistan for their World Cup campaign? Since the ban has been over turned, it is obviously within the law to pick them in their squad, so why shouldn't they? Wouldn't that be stupid of them?

For the record I would've been happier if they both were banned like they were supposed to be, but one has to wonder the logic behind not selcting them.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    That's a bit strange coming from you to be honest. You always have the attitude of "do whatever it takes to win as long as its within the law, screw sportsmanship" yet you don't think PCB should include the best two seamers in Pakistan for their World Cup campaign?
    Yea, thats a good point. However, they did do something illegal, not merely unsportsmanlike. The fact that they got off does not mean they didn't do something that was against the rules of the game.

Doing whatever you can to win the game is perfectly OK in my book, but it has to be within the laws of the game..otherwise you just have chaos. Sportsmanlike rules are the so called 'unwritten' rules of the game, which are IMO BS. Write them down and make them law, or shut up and stop standing in the way of teams trying to win.

Steroids don't fall into that category. Its the same with match fixing - if India could match fix every game and thus win every game...it wouldn't mean anything.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    But that's exactly my point though. If you go by the law, which would obviously mean that Akhtar and Asif didn't do anything wrong since the PCB guidelines did not state nandrolone to be an illegal substance (lets pretend for a second the pacers didn't know better), then it should by your definition mean that it is okay for the PCB to pick Akhtar and Asif for the World Cup, since they would not be voilating any laws and it would without a doubt better Pakistan's chances of winning the World Cup.

Keep in mind that they are technically cleared of the steroid charges.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Only a couple of that list are actually fast bowlers. Seamers, yes, but I'm not sure how many of those would prosper on West Indian pitches. I think Asif and Gul would be the most effective, with Rana Naved playing a holding role in the attack.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    I'm sure if PCB had any spirit of the game, they wouldn't.
    If they had any, the appeals wouldn't have succeeded.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Captain
    First of all drugs, now batteries. Just pick the best players on the merit of natural human resources.

The drains are on fire, that's not Dickie Bird's fault.
    What the hell does your sig mean?

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    It means that he can post on this forum whilst being wasted pretty badly.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    I'd be suspicious of any "pace battery" that includes the likes of Mohammad Sami. What the hell he was doing in yesterdays match against the Windies I'm not sure.

Anyway, its probably going to be Akhtar, Asif, Gul for Tests and Akhtar, Asif, Naved for ODIs. Shabbir Ahmed to be the wild card.

It would be ridiculous for the PCB not to select Akhtar and Asif at this point in order to make some moral stand. If they influenced the decision of the appeals committee then it would just be stupid. If they didn't then it would just be wrong to disregard their verdict.
    Last edited by shortpitched713; 13-12-2006 at 10:29 AM.

U19 Debutant

sour grapes. my my. indian or australian?

Quote Originally Posted by jack_sparrow
    sour grapes. my my. indian or australian?
    Heh. Just a cricket fan, mate. I have nothing against Pakistani cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16
    suddenly pakistan finds at its disposable a pool of very capable fast bowlers, ofcourse there is still time left before the world cup, but what would ur pick be, ignoring ur biased or un biased views after what asif and shoaib have been through.

so this is what they have right now

umar gul
    rana
    mohammad sami
    shoaib akhrar
    asif
    iftikhar anjum
    shahid nazir
    and possibly shabbir ahmad

im pretty sure asif is a given choice, some would argue akhtar is too including myself
    for the rest of the spots there is stiff competition

what would be ur pick
    diffinitly both shoiab and asif would be not only in Sa tour but world cup also. these two guys would be the main bowlers.
    the third option would be between shabbir and gul for the world cup. gul has more chances. as far as rana goes performing in one or two matches doesn't prove his abality for that spot if he perfom well in Sa tour just like this then he might be considered for the team in place of shabbir. Iftikhar Anjum shouldn't be in the team. i think if they wana give some one else a chance it wold be nazir. pakistan has given anjum alot of chancess and he hasn't prove himself but he is still in the team while nazir who performed really well in the test matches including England tour is out of the team. if u see anjum's record he has played 25 one day matches and manage to take only 19 wickets with average of 47. one test against Sir Lanka and got no wicket. i think he should be droped and his place should be givin to nazir or rana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information