• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan pace battery

mohammad16

U19 Captain
suddenly pakistan finds at its disposable a pool of very capable fast bowlers, ofcourse there is still time left before the world cup, but what would ur pick be, ignoring ur biased or un biased views after what asif and shoaib have been through.

so this is what they have right now

umar gul
rana
mohammad sami
shoaib akhrar
asif
iftikhar anjum
shahid nazir
and possibly shabbir ahmad

im pretty sure asif is a given choice, some would argue akhtar is too including myself
for the rest of the spots there is stiff competition

what would be ur pick

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I would not select Asif and Akthar for the duration of their original ban.
I'm sure if PCB had any spirit of the game, they wouldn't. But they probably will select them

-Dravid
:smartass:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
I would not select Asif and Akthar for the duration of their original ban.
That's a bit strange coming from you to be honest. You always have the attitude of "do whatever it takes to win as long as its within the law, screw sportsmanship" yet you don't think PCB should include the best two seamers in Pakistan for their World Cup campaign? Since the ban has been over turned, it is obviously within the law to pick them in their squad, so why shouldn't they? Wouldn't that be stupid of them?

For the record I would've been happier if they both were banned like they were supposed to be, but one has to wonder the logic behind not selcting them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
That's a bit strange coming from you to be honest. You always have the attitude of "do whatever it takes to win as long as its within the law, screw sportsmanship" yet you don't think PCB should include the best two seamers in Pakistan for their World Cup campaign?
Yea, thats a good point. However, they did do something illegal, not merely unsportsmanlike. The fact that they got off does not mean they didn't do something that was against the rules of the game.

Doing whatever you can to win the game is perfectly OK in my book, but it has to be within the laws of the game..otherwise you just have chaos. Sportsmanlike rules are the so called 'unwritten' rules of the game, which are IMO BS. Write them down and make them law, or shut up and stop standing in the way of teams trying to win.

Steroids don't fall into that category. Its the same with match fixing - if India could match fix every game and thus win every game...it wouldn't mean anything.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
But that's exactly my point though. If you go by the law, which would obviously mean that Akhtar and Asif didn't do anything wrong since the PCB guidelines did not state nandrolone to be an illegal substance (lets pretend for a second the pacers didn't know better), then it should by your definition mean that it is okay for the PCB to pick Akhtar and Asif for the World Cup, since they would not be voilating any laws and it would without a doubt better Pakistan's chances of winning the World Cup.

Keep in mind that they are technically cleared of the steroid charges.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only a couple of that list are actually fast bowlers. Seamers, yes, but I'm not sure how many of those would prosper on West Indian pitches. I think Asif and Gul would be the most effective, with Rana Naved playing a holding role in the attack.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'd be suspicious of any "pace battery" that includes the likes of Mohammad Sami. What the hell he was doing in yesterdays match against the Windies I'm not sure.

Anyway, its probably going to be Akhtar, Asif, Gul for Tests and Akhtar, Asif, Naved for ODIs. Shabbir Ahmed to be the wild card.

It would be ridiculous for the PCB not to select Akhtar and Asif at this point in order to make some moral stand. If they influenced the decision of the appeals committee then it would just be stupid. If they didn't then it would just be wrong to disregard their verdict.

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
mohammad16 said:
suddenly pakistan finds at its disposable a pool of very capable fast bowlers, ofcourse there is still time left before the world cup, but what would ur pick be, ignoring ur biased or un biased views after what asif and shoaib have been through.

so this is what they have right now

umar gul
rana
mohammad sami
shoaib akhrar
asif
iftikhar anjum
shahid nazir
and possibly shabbir ahmad

im pretty sure asif is a given choice, some would argue akhtar is too including myself
for the rest of the spots there is stiff competition

what would be ur pick
diffinitly both shoiab and asif would be not only in Sa tour but world cup also. these two guys would be the main bowlers.
the third option would be between shabbir and gul for the world cup. gul has more chances. as far as rana goes performing in one or two matches doesn't prove his abality for that spot if he perfom well in Sa tour just like this then he might be considered for the team in place of shabbir. Iftikhar Anjum shouldn't be in the team. i think if they wana give some one else a chance it wold be nazir. pakistan has given anjum alot of chancess and he hasn't prove himself but he is still in the team while nazir who performed really well in the test matches including England tour is out of the team. if u see anjum's record he has played 25 one day matches and manage to take only 19 wickets with average of 47. one test against Sir Lanka and got no wicket. i think he should be droped and his place should be givin to nazir or rana.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Anil said:
maybe but that still doesn't make the result any less ridiculous, does it?
I didn't make any comment on the result though...I'm just saying some of the criticism of the PCB is misplaced.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd hardly call it a battery. A battery was what the WI of the late 70s-late 90s had. Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh, Ambrose, Croft, Roberts, Daniel, Holder and so on.