• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa v Sri Lanka Tests & ODI's

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Shaun Pollock - Captain, Mark Boucher - Vice-captain, Steve Elworthy, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Hall, Mornantau Hayward, Claude Henderson, Jacques Kallis, Gary Kirsten, Neil McKenzie, Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Graeme Smith.

So Neil McKenzie is back...but Martin Van Jaarsvelt is dropped without any explanation...or anyone noticing really...

[Edited on 6/11/02 by Neil Pickup]

[Edited on 28/11/2002 by Andre]

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Rik
Shaun Pollock - Captain, Mark Boucher - Vice-captain, Steve Elworthy, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Hall, Mornantau Hayward, Claude Henderson, Jacques Kallis, Gary Kirsten, Neil McKenzie, Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Graeme Smith.

So Neil McKenzie is back...but Martin Van Jaarsvelt is dropped without any explanation...or anyone noticing really...
It's good to see Neil McKenzie back, he looked a very promising player and also he is in fine form, in his last game he hit 160ish

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From what I saw, I can't understand why van Jaarsveld has been dropped rather than Prince - I mean Ashwell struggled to score heavily against Bangladesh...

loz185

Cricket Spectator
Yeh a bit disappointing that, Van Jaarsveld batted down the order and never really got a chance to shine, now he has been dropped. He is a better batsman than Prince aswell

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwell Prince is definately a coloured player. As far as im aware Van Jaarsveld is not.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Someone told me that SA had abolished Quotas in their Test Squad...knew it wouldn't last:rolleyes:What did Van Jaarsfelt do wrong? 43 not out on his debut then ditched?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever team they put on the field, SA will start as firm favourites. SL are enjoying some great one day form, but test cricket is a different ball game altogether.

Legglancer

State Regular
I agree with anilverma, Sri Lanka will find it
pretty tough especially in the absence of De Silva
to cope on SA wickets. SL bowling also looks
quite amturish.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If I was Martin van Jaarsveld, I'd be feeling very hard done by...

SA should win the series with some to spare, but I think that it will be the closest Test Series we've had since England-India. (OK, that's not much of an achievement!)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately, there is some kind of bias in the selections of most teams: regional bias, racial bias, nepotism....you name it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
According to Cricinfo Van Jaarsveld is playing, along with Steve Elworthy (great future he's got!)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Batting was always going to be trouble for Sri Lanka up there. Although they would get a leg up along with Pakistan before the world cup for those conditions.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
51/0 off 12 overs, CRD (Dilhara) Fernando with 14 no balls in 3-0-28-0...

Teams are:
GC Smith, G Kirsten, M van Jaarsveld, JH Kallis, AG Prince, ND McKenzie, +MV Boucher, AJ Hall, *SM Pollock, S Elworthy, M Ntini
and
MS Atapattu, RP Arnold, +KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, *ST Jayasuriya, HP Tillakaratne, KHRK Fernando, WPUJC Vaas, CRD Fernando, M Muralitharan, PDRL Perera

So van Jaarsveld isn't dropped, and the last few posts were totally pointless.. looks like I was up the wall about this being a close series. And SL's bowling is not looking good for the WC...