• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa v Sri Lanka Tests & ODI's

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a fantastic batsman. He doesn't always have to attack to be a fanatstic batsman but today he showed that if he has to, he can!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yeah well when you consider it's about the 12th fastest ODI 50 of all time that ain't bad. Youhana's recent 68 ball 100 against Zimbabwe put him 6= on that list.

Also today Graeme Smith became the 11th man to be dismissed on 99, and the third this season to make that score (Laxman, Sarwan), he was cruelly run out against Sri Lanka.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
i think its becoming clear now that Sri Lanka will struggle in South Africa.

In 1999, they struggled in England and didn't make the Super Six..earlier in the year once again in England they struggled in the tests & ODI series. And now in South Africa they are struggling..so it all adds up that Sri Lanka are going to have to be in mighty form to beat the odds & win the World Cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The way things are looking currently, Sri Lanka's odds are lengthening by the day - they need helpful pitches and Muralitharan!

This puts SA, WI and NZ in a strong position from Group B.

Rik, you should realise that if we slag someone off for something long enough, he'll do the opposite. Unless he's called Alex Tudor.

Anyway... how long till Jayasuriya loses the captaincy?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
The way things are looking currently, Sri Lanka's odds are lengthening by the day - they need helpful pitches and Muralitharan!

This puts SA, WI and NZ in a strong position from Group B.

Rik, you should realise that if we slag someone off for something long enough, he'll do the opposite. Unless he's called Alex Tudor.

Anyway... how long till Jayasuriya loses the captaincy?
Sooo...Kallis still got out :lol::lol::lol::D:P:P

bigvince

Cricket Spectator
Sri Lanka, without Murli, are a disgrace.
They should cancel their Aussie visit and avoid further embrassment and disgrace to their country, supporters and cricket in general.

They are being toyed with by the SAfricans. Their bowling attack lacks penetration, the captain seems the only one prepared to take on the bowlers.

Ntini came back in his second spell and bounced the middle order out.... THEY SUCK BIG TIME.

Will Pakistan make the SAficans shake like the Aussies did last year this time??

Mr Mxyzptlk

I doubt Pakistan will make much of an impact on South Africa. Regarding the suggested cancellation of the Australian tour...it's just a game.:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by bigvince
Sri Lanka, without Murli, are a disgrace.
They should cancel their Aussie visit and avoid further embrassment and disgrace to their country, supporters and cricket in general.
Saying things like this helps no-one.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Again SRL started off very well with the bowling. Hope they finish it off this time.

South Africa 82/5 (19.5 ov)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Useful 87 off 117 from that useless slow batsman again. Good to see Klusener (60 off 57) back in form again.

Lak****ha and Nissanka don't seem to out of their depth, and Dilhara Fernando and Vaas could make up a reasonable pace attack. Don't write them off yet...

Especially with the batting going like that! 123 off 121 for Atapattu, 258-3 off 41.4 - not bad @ 6.19 an over. Series is still open!

Donald 7-1-45-1
Klusener 7-0-38-0
Boje 3.4-0-35-0
Kallis 4-0-34-0

That's where it went wrong.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Quite an impressive performance. It was a pity that they couldn't dismiss South Africa when they had them on the ropes, they let them get away a bit.
Well batted Attapatu

V Reddy

International Debutant
I have SRL have a very good chance as they will play all their matches on Bouncy wickets till the WC. They will get used to it by that time

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SA still the favourites, but this win is a sign that the Lankans are at last coming to terms with the bouncy tracks over there and that is a good sign for them with the WC looming ahead.

basil

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
I doubt Pakistan will make much of an impact on South Africa. Regarding the suggested cancellation of the Australian tour...it's just a game.:)
Well last time SA were lucky to get away with a 1-1 draw. I still think Pak has a chance in this series if the batsmen fires, if the batsmen struggle then Pak will be in trouble!

Samin

Cricket Spectator
I think that it was actualy Pakistan who were lucky to escape with draw. IMO they were extremely lucky to win the second match by a very narrow margin but were convincingly thrashed in the third. Their batting on the whole tour was poor with the exception Azhar Mahmood and only good performances with the ball gave them a chance.

basil

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Originally posted by Samin
I think that it was actualy Pakistan who were lucky to escape with draw. IMO they were extremely lucky to win the second match by a very narrow margin but were convincingly thrashed in the third. Their batting on the whole tour was poor with the exception Azhar Mahmood and only good performances with the ball gave them a chance.
LOL, how were the Pak lucky in the drawn series? It was SA that came from behind to drew the series.
The first match ended in a dull draw, in the second match, Pak was the team that was more likely to win the match (a victory is a victory regardless of the margin).In the third match SA defeated the Pak team and drew the series. The poor performance in the third match had a lot to do with the return of Waseem Akram in the team that was captained by Rashid Lateef!!

AS for Pak batting, it was/is their weak point, however as far as that series was concerned, it was a low scoring series, and if Azhar scored in the first match for Pak, then it was only Pat Symcox that batted well for SA!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Atapattu did well again but got out to the debutant's first ball, Zondeki. Anyone know who he is and how good he is?

SL in trouble again though. 84/4

Bazza

International 12th Man
http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/RSA/Z/ZONDEKI_M_03015625/

A good record for a 20 year old! Listed as RA Fast. Interested in seeing him...

Sri Lanka have partly recovered to at least post a competitive 229 target for South Africa, largely thanks to Sangakkara's uncharacteristically steady 77. He received good support from Arnold and Samaraweera.

Pollock bowled brilliantly again (listen to these figures 10-4-23-2!) and got his 250th ODI wicket today. Donald did what he does best also (at 36 he could still go 300/300), opening the attack again (presumably so they can try this lad).

Actually I just noticed something looking at Donald's profile. He has 742 runs and 595 wickets in international cricket. I wonder if anyone with say 500+ wickets has more wickets than runs.

Yes indeed, McGrath 519 runs, 673 wickets. I thought Walsh would be the most likely, but he has 1257 runs to go with his 746 wickets. Oh well that kept me entertained for 5 mins! :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Walsh looks like a veritable all-rounder in that case!
Well, an all-rounder in the sense AA is one...