• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa v Sri Lanka Tests & ODI's

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Apparently Gibbs pulled out a few minues before the game with a bad back, and Martin was in the area so got called up.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
van Jaarsveld, Prince and MacKenzie all fail, Kallis anchors the innings and the others contribute well.

SA win barring one of the best comebacks ever...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka crash to an innings defeat. Well they weren't on top of their game. Conceding 62 extras, Pererra got banned for continually running onto the pitch (murali factor ofcourse ;)) quite a few things gong wrong for Sri Lanka, two batting collapses.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SL just doesn't have the weapons to combat SA on a fast bowlers' pitch. They will lose this series comprehensively. SA is one of the most formidable sides at home after Australia and India.

anzac

International Debutant
yep - done by the pace, bounce & movement of the pitch....

and I have a sneaking suspicion that something similar happened to England in the latter stages of their 1st innings, and all of their 2nd (amongst other things)!!!!!

:D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by anzac

and I have a sneaking suspicion that something similar happened to England in the latter stages of their 1st innings, and all of their 2nd (amongst other things)!!!!!

:D
Why do you call it a "sneaking suspicion"? I would call it an absolute certainty.

Bazza

International 12th Man
WHich is what will happen to all the subcontinental teams in the world cup and why South Africa are probably the only side capable of stopping the Australian juggernaut from retaining the title. They were so close last time... hopefully they can go one better.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
WHich is what will happen to all the subcontinental teams in the world cup and why South Africa are probably the only side capable of stopping the Australian juggernaut from retaining the title. They were so close last time... hopefully they can go one better.
The Indians played very well in their last one day series in SA with SA and Kenya. In fact, other than choking in the final, they batted well against SA in all the league games. Extreme pace is not as big a factor in one dayers as in tests because of restrictions on the short stuff, low margin of error on wides, no balls etc.

Bazza

International 12th Man
True. There's no need to remind everyone of the Natwest series, but don't India have a reputation for choking in triangular finals...?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
True. There's no need to remind everyone of the Natwest series, but don't India have a reputation for choking in triangular finals...?
Yes, they do, but that's hardly the point, is it? You were saying that the subcontinent teams(Ind, Pak & SL) will struggle to cope with the pace and movement offered by the pitches and I was pointing out to you that the Indians acquitted themselves reasonably well in one dayers on the last tour of SA and that pace is not as big a factor in one dayers as in tests. Got that?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes I got it, and I agreed with you, but I still feel those three sides will struggle more than any other competitive side in what are supposed to be neutral conditions (but of course in reality never will be as each time the conditions will vary so different sides are favoured - guess that's all part of the game, last time it was green and overcast, before that dry, hot and humid).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I got it, and I agreed with you, but I still feel those three sides will struggle more than any other competitive side in what are supposed to be neutral conditions (but of course in reality never will be as each time the conditions will vary so different sides are favoured - guess that's all part of the game, last time it was green and overcast, before that dry, hot and humid).
It's possible in the case of SL and India who really don't have attacks suited to those conditions. Pakistan, however has an excellent pace attack which potentially could offset most of their batting weaknesses.

Personally, I think the Indian batsmen will fare well while the bowlers will get tonked as usual.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Good battling effort from SA today - Gibbs and Kallis seem to e in very nice touch at the moment...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
Good battling effort from SA today - Gibbs and Kallis seem to e in very nice touch at the moment...
Although Kallis is still scoring slowly...:rolleyes: he's got his average up to 50 at last though :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Although Kallis is still scoring slowly...:rolleyes: he's got his average up to 50 at last though :D
So what if he's scoring slowly - players do not have to score at run a ball all the time.

Also I'd like to point out that he's scoring at a faster rate than Gibbs is.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
So what if he's scoring slowly - players do not have to score at run a ball all the time.

Also I'd like to point out that he's scoring at a faster rate than Gibbs is.
The problem is I've never seen him bat quickly...:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmmm Ashwell Prince was impressive against the Australians but since has not been very impressive, his series average at the moment is 11.50 too :( He's been in good form in the South African FC competition but he has been dissapointing in the Tests and I'm also wondering why he is batting ahead of McKenzie who you could say already has a prooven record in Tests. It will take a bit of time for McKenzie to get back into playing in Tests and I hope the selectors stick with him as he's a very good player and I wouldn't mind seeing him in England next year. I'm still not sure why they won't play him in the ODI team too...anyway Pollock and Boucher batting well :)