Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to retire?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

When to retire?

Tendulkar has batted for 48,000 minutes in international cricket, which is 5,000 more than Steve Waugh, and probably more than anybody ever, though Geoff Boycott would have done it in one innings if he had only lived a little earlier and played in the Timeless Test

Anyway, this is a good article.
    http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/colu...ry/272194.html

I don't have a right to tell a man when he should stop doing what he loves, but I'd rather seem a player retire a year early than a year late.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Sachin will bat atleast another 5-6,000 before he retires. He still has something left in him for ODI Cricket, I don't know how long he will go if he cant produce anything in Saf.

U19 Captain
    you should retire when u loose the desire to proove something, either that or when u feel theres someone who could use ur place to better effect.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16
    either that or when u feel theres someone who could use ur place to better effect.
    Oftentimes thats a pretty hard call though. Rarely will a new player be able to perform a the same level as the vet he is replacing, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be blooded so he can perform better in the future.

i say sachin should score about 10 more odi centuries to make a half century of centuries and atleast make 5 or 6 more centuries in tests so ricky pointing doesnt break his record cause i hate that guy with passion dont ask me why......as for the ? goes you should decide if you are ready for retirement then when you are you retire on a match you won or on a match that you played awesome so always retire on a winning note never fix on the match you are going to retire only retire on a winning note

I'm pretty confident Sachin will play through the Australia tour at least. He may leave one-day cricket sometime after the World Cup.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    When somebody no longer has the passion thats when it's time to call it quits.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    I'm pretty confident Sachin will play through the Australia tour at least. He may leave one-day cricket sometime after the World Cup.
    I doubt that 1) considering he is only 33, and will be only 34 by the end of the World Cup, so he can play 2-4 more years. 2) He's doing good in ODI Cricket so why would he retire from that. But I do believe Sachin will get atleast 50 100's before he retires no matter what

Was it Sunil Gavaskar who said ' you should go when others want you to stay rather than stay when others want you to go ' .

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713
    Oftentimes thats a pretty hard call though. Rarely will a new player be able to perform a the same level as the vet he is replacing, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be blooded so he can perform better in the future.
    thats what i mean, if u see a player with alot of potential who deserves some time in the middle, give ur spot away.

right now, for example the indian team and tendulkar, even tohugh he is struggling, theres no one who can take his spot, he is very valuable to the team even today, itll be interesting when he retires

thats what i mean, if u see a player with alot of potential who deserves some time in the middle, give ur spot away.

right now, for example the indian team and tendulkar, even tohugh he is struggling, theres no one who can take his spot, he is very valuable to the team even today, itll be interesting when he retires
    He's only not scoring runs in Tests, so I don't know why people never mention that. You say he is struggling as if he is struggling in both forms. And plus there is still a test series only a couple of days away for him to show us that those 11 bad innings were because of the injury, or because of bad form

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    Was it Sunil Gavaskar who said ' you should go when others want you to stay rather than stay when others want you to go ' .

thats personal, thats not always benificial to the team, if ur doing that ur just thinking about ur personal respect, ur personal stature, thats weak IMO

a great player shouldnt be afraid to retire when others want him to leave, i think a great player should retire when he is simply not needed anymore

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    He's only not scoring runs in Tests, so I don't know why people never mention that. You say he is struggling as if he is struggling in both forms. And plus there is still a test series only a couple of days away for him to show us that those 11 bad innings were because of the injury, or because of bad form

well I just tend to compare tendulkar to what he was 4 years ago, which is wrong, i mean he is easily still the MVP of the team but u tend to compare him to lara and inzi who have been performing better over the last 2 yaers

still nowhere near retirement though

well I just tend to compare tendulkar to what he was 4 years ago, which is wrong, i mean he is easily still the MVP of the team but u tend to compare him to lara and inzi who have been performing better over the last 2 yaers

still nowhere near retirement though
    Sachin in ODIs on form > Inzi, Lara in ODIs on form.

Inzi isn't in like the form of his life either, but still better than Sachin in tests, but Sachin has again only played 8 innings in 2006, and only 11 since his last 100...so lets see what he can do in Saf.

Lara ofcourse better than both of them atm in tests.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Inzi isn't in like the form of his life either
    He was recently, and definitely has been in better form over the last two years then Tendulkar.

On current form Tendulkar barely makes it in to the Indian Test side. I don't think he can continue this bad patch indefinitely. Like Ganguly, you can't ride on your past performances forever. This South Africa series will be crucial for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information