• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When to retire?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendulkar has batted for 48,000 minutes in international cricket, which is 5,000 more than Steve Waugh, and probably more than anybody ever, though Geoff Boycott would have done it in one innings if he had only lived a little earlier and played in the Timeless Test
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, this is a good article.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/272194.html

I don't have a right to tell a man when he should stop doing what he loves, but I'd rather seem a player retire a year early than a year late.

Dravid

International Captain
Sachin will bat atleast another 5-6,000 before he retires. He still has something left in him for ODI Cricket, I don't know how long he will go if he cant produce anything in Saf.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
you should retire when u loose the desire to proove something, either that or when u feel theres someone who could use ur place to better effect.

shortpitched713

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
either that or when u feel theres someone who could use ur place to better effect.
Oftentimes thats a pretty hard call though. Rarely will a new player be able to perform a the same level as the vet he is replacing, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be blooded so he can perform better in the future.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i say sachin should score about 10 more odi centuries to make a half century of centuries and atleast make 5 or 6 more centuries in tests so ricky pointing doesnt break his record cause i hate that guy with passion dont ask me why......as for the ? goes you should decide if you are ready for retirement then when you are you retire on a match you won or on a match that you played awesome so always retire on a winning note never fix on the match you are going to retire only retire on a winning note

adharcric

International Coach
I'm pretty confident Sachin will play through the Australia tour at least. He may leave one-day cricket sometime after the World Cup.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When somebody no longer has the passion thats when it's time to call it quits.

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:
I'm pretty confident Sachin will play through the Australia tour at least. He may leave one-day cricket sometime after the World Cup.
I doubt that 1) considering he is only 33, and will be only 34 by the end of the World Cup, so he can play 2-4 more years. 2) He's doing good in ODI Cricket so why would he retire from that. But I do believe Sachin will get atleast 50 100's before he retires no matter what

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it Sunil Gavaskar who said ' you should go when others want you to stay rather than stay when others want you to go ':) .

mohammad16

U19 Captain
shortpitched713 said:
Oftentimes thats a pretty hard call though. Rarely will a new player be able to perform a the same level as the vet he is replacing, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be blooded so he can perform better in the future.
thats what i mean, if u see a player with alot of potential who deserves some time in the middle, give ur spot away.

right now, for example the indian team and tendulkar, even tohugh he is struggling, theres no one who can take his spot, he is very valuable to the team even today, itll be interesting when he retires

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
thats what i mean, if u see a player with alot of potential who deserves some time in the middle, give ur spot away.

right now, for example the indian team and tendulkar, even tohugh he is struggling, theres no one who can take his spot, he is very valuable to the team even today, itll be interesting when he retires
He's only not scoring runs in Tests, so I don't know why people never mention that. You say he is struggling as if he is struggling in both forms. And plus there is still a test series only a couple of days away for him to show us that those 11 bad innings were because of the injury, or because of bad form

mohammad16

U19 Captain
JASON said:
Was it Sunil Gavaskar who said ' you should go when others want you to stay rather than stay when others want you to go ':) .

thats personal, thats not always benificial to the team, if ur doing that ur just thinking about ur personal respect, ur personal stature, thats weak IMO

a great player shouldnt be afraid to retire when others want him to leave, i think a great player should retire when he is simply not needed anymore

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Dravid said:
He's only not scoring runs in Tests, so I don't know why people never mention that. You say he is struggling as if he is struggling in both forms. And plus there is still a test series only a couple of days away for him to show us that those 11 bad innings were because of the injury, or because of bad form

well I just tend to compare tendulkar to what he was 4 years ago, which is wrong, i mean he is easily still the MVP of the team but u tend to compare him to lara and inzi who have been performing better over the last 2 yaers

still nowhere near retirement though

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
well I just tend to compare tendulkar to what he was 4 years ago, which is wrong, i mean he is easily still the MVP of the team but u tend to compare him to lara and inzi who have been performing better over the last 2 yaers

still nowhere near retirement though
Sachin in ODIs on form > Inzi, Lara in ODIs on form.

Inzi isn't in like the form of his life either, but still better than Sachin in tests, but Sachin has again only played 8 innings in 2006, and only 11 since his last 100...so lets see what he can do in Saf.

Lara ofcourse better than both of them atm in tests.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Dravid said:
Inzi isn't in like the form of his life either
He was recently, and definitely has been in better form over the last two years then Tendulkar.

On current form Tendulkar barely makes it in to the Indian Test side. I don't think he can continue this bad patch indefinitely. Like Ganguly, you can't ride on your past performances forever. This South Africa series will be crucial for him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dravid said:
I doubt that 1) considering he is only 33, and will be only 34 by the end of the World Cup, so he can play 2-4 more years.
He may be 33, but 16-17 years of constant International Cricket is a more valid "age" than his birth date...

Dravid

International Captain
marc71178 said:
He may be 33, but 16-17 years of constant International Cricket is a more valid "age" than his birth date...
Sachin is still a pretty fit guy

I doubt he will retire before summer of 2008. With Australia coming to India late next year, the India going to Pakistan followed by India going to Australia, then two series against Saf in 2008. With all those series close together, don't think he will retire anytime soon, and he will probably be tempted to play. He might think about giving up test Cricket after Saf series since no tour will take place against a really good team until winter then.

ODI Cricket I believe he will probably go into 2009.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Sachin is really confusing, he has the best technique in world cricket, yet he has had a bad time over the last 2 yaers, something i dont understand, his adjustment factor has also been probably the best in world cricket and he is not what he used to be

i remember back in the old days, i used to think tendulkar is one player, who could well play at age 40 because his technique wsa so simple and correct, it would make up for the deteriotin hand eye cordination and speed

i personally feel that the reason sachin hasnt been on par with lara and inzamam has to do with the lack of flourish in his batting

he has a low backlift, and he just seems to be playing very compact, while on the other hand lara is playing with alot of flourish, freeing his arms alot, inzamam on the other hand is still using the power he posseses to play big shots from time to time

even some of his knocks againts the west indies in the champions trophy and others, although they were amazing innings, tendulkar just didnt seem that free flowing player that he once was, he is sitll technically very sound, but i wonder what it is thats left him to be a shade of himself

luffy

International Captain
When he gets axed, the Indian selctors wouldn't dare sack him for at least 3 years.