• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Two Openers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

Pick two openers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Now it's time to pick the 1946-2006 XI from the three selected era teams.

First the openers:

Saeed Anwar (Pak): 55 tests, 4052 runs @ 45.52, HS 188*, (11/25), 18 catches
Sunil Gavaskar (Ind): 125 tests, 10,122 runs @ 51.12, HS 236*, (34/45), 108 catches
Gordon Greenidge (WI): 108 tests, 7558 runs @ 44.72, HS 226, (19/34), 96 catches
Matthew Hayden (Aus): 86 tests, 7414 runs @ 52.21, HS 380, (26/26), 114 catches
Len Hutton (Eng): 66 tests, 5626 runs @ 54.62, HS 206, (14/30), 48 catches
Arthur Morris (Aus): 46 tests, 3533 runs @ 46.48, HS 206, (12/12), 15 catches

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
Should we include second XI players as well, or would that be utterly pointless.
I thought about putting the 2nd XI in as well, and then I realised that if they couldn't get into one Era XI, how could they get into a combined three Era XI team?

So I think it's best to go with the 3 selected teams, however maybe a couple of wild cards should be issued to players where the era's split their careers (although I can only think of Border as Imran, Sobers and Marshall are already in).

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
I thought about putting the 2nd XI in as well, and then I realised that if they couldn't get into one Era XI, how could they get into a combined three Era XI team?

So I think it's best to go with the 3 selected teams, however maybe a couple of wild cards should be issued to players where the era's split their careers (although I can only think of Border as Imran, Sobers and Marshall are already in).
Didn't Akram just narrowly miss out though?

aussie tragic

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
Didn't Akram just narrowly miss out though?
Actually, I don't think he was close even though baga some how got him in as 12th man by not running a poll 8-)

Who I feel sorry for is Sehwag, who tied with Anwar twice, but I still don't think he'd get a look in here so it's no problem IMO.

btw, do you think Akram would have a shot against with the selected pacers being Ambrose, Davidson, Hadlee, Lillee, Lindwall, McGrath, Marshall, Trueman, Miller, Imran and Botham... I think not :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
btw, do you think Akram would have a shot against with the selected pacers being Ambrose, Davidson, Hadlee, Lillee, Lindwall, McGrath, Marshall, Trueman, Miller, Imran and Botham... I think not :)
If I could vote multiple times, yes ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Actually, I don't think he was close even though baga some how got him in as 12th man by not running a poll 8-)

Who I feel sorry for is Sehwag, who tied with Anwar twice, but I still don't think he'd get a look in here so it's no problem IMO.

He might, if you want a left armer in the attack. Ignoring that, he wouldn't make the top four, but he's better than some of them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Though to be fair, neither would make my XI. But if I absolutely wanted a left armer, I would go with Wasim, not Davidson.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I did, I would still go Akram > Davidson.
Yeah but that's because you're obviously biased towards current players since you rate GM # 1 :wacko:

btw, what are your best three players that played before 1960?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Yeah but that's because you're obviously biased towards current players since you rate GM # 1 :wacko:

Players or bowlers?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:

Even ignoring the modern vs. older bias, I would prefer my left armer to be the wicket taker with a good strike rate. They are both all timers so they both have great stats, but Akram's superior S/R clinches it for me. Davidson was more an economical wicket taker type. WIth a very good, but not phenomenal SR in the mid sixties.