• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Two Openers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

Pick two openers for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beleg

International Regular
He is not.

Hayden and Anwar are about equal in my eyes. Hutton is better but it'll be a cold day in hell before I'd vote for an English opener apart from Boycott. Greenidge might have been better than Anwar but I wanted two subcontinent openers.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Beleg said:
Hayden and Anwar are about equal in my eyes. Hutton is better but it'll be a cold day in hell before I'd vote for an English opener apart from Boycott. Greenidge might have been better than Anwar but I wanted two subcontinent openers.

You don't rate Hobbs?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Beleg said:
Greenidge might have been better than Anwar but I wanted two subcontinent openers.
It's a World XI not and subcontinent XI :-O

.... that'd be like Aussies voting for Hayden & Morris (which we haven't)

shortpitched713

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
It's a World XI not and subcontinent XI :-O

.... that'd be like Aussies voting for Hayden & Morris (which we haven't)
Hey, at least he's freely admitting his bias. Unlike some people. Not naming any names. :dry:

Anyone who voted Lillee.

adharcric

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
Yeah, you gotta give me that one, I am seeking admission into the Church of GM-OLAS.
Father silentstriker is currently performing a GM-OLAS sacrifice. You'll have to wait.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So with only a few hours to go, it looks like Gavaskar is No 1 & Hutton is a very close No. 2....

...Greenidge and Anwar for the 2nd XI, although I think Greenidge & Boycott would be a much better pairing (Boycs is not here because he was beaten by Gavaskar & Greenidge in the 1966-85 XI)

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Guys like PhoenixFire couldn't keep me awake at night, in fact he put me to sleep during the day. I figured that if he got 150 posts he took so long that it made my chances of getting more posts much better. Another reason why I don't classify PhoenixFire as great was that he was a selfish bastard; he never posted for the team, he always posted for himself. I heard silentstriker call him a great poster one day, and I said to SS as he got off his computer, "that's rubbish SS, he wasn't a great poster". He hemmed and hawed and I said, "SS, aussie tragic averaged bloody 58 and he posted every second for the game of cricket and not for himself. PhoenixFire posted every single second of his career as a poster for himself and he averaged only 47. What are you talking?

My thanks to Ian Chappell.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shortpitched713 said:
Guys like PhoenixFire couldn't keep me awake at night, in fact he put me to sleep during the day. I figured that if he got 150 posts he took so long that it made my chances of getting more posts much better. Another reason why I don't classify PhoenixFire as great was that he was a selfish bastard; he never posted for the team, he always posted for himself. I heard silentstriker call him a great poster one day, and I said to SS as he got off his computer, "that's rubbish SS, he wasn't a great poster". He hemmed and hawed and I said, "SS, aussie tragic averaged bloody 58 and he posted every second for the game of cricket and not for himself. PhoenixFire posted every single second of his career as a poster for himself and he averaged only 47. What are you talking?

Dude, thats a lock on the inzy.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:

I have to admit I found that hilarious, and in a good way too.

bagapath

International Captain
shortpitched713 said:

sounds funny and even makes sense if you had read chappell's remarks on boycott. guess it is an explanation to why anwar got more votes than boycs. good try!