• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 WC final to be hosted in Mumbai

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SL and Pak get the semi-finals.

Mumbai to host 2011 World Cup final

Cricinfo staff

December 12, 2006

Mumbai has been chosen as the venue for the 2011 World Cup final after a joint decision taken by the four subcontinental boards. The semi-finals will be played at the Premadasa Stadium in Colombo and the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, while Dhaka will host the opening ceremony.

The meeting took place in the residence of Sharad Pawar, the Indian board president, and was attended by Nasim Ashraf, the Pakistan board chairman, Mehboob Rehman, the chief executive of the Bangladesh board, Duleep Mendis, the Sri Lankan board chief executive, and other Indian board officials.

"It was a collective decision," Pawar told reporters. "Most of the decisions were taken unanimously." Ashraf was confident that the World Cup in 2011 would be the best ever. "All the member countries are acting like a family and every decision was taken amicably and unanimously," he said. In July this year the BCCI had announced that Delhi would host the final in new stadium fully owned by the BCCI. Obviously things have changed from then to now.

A central organising committee has been set up to overlook the preparations for the event. While Sharad Pawar will be the chairman of the committee, a convenor will be appointed from Pakistan and the treasurer from Sri Lanka.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
A nice sharing of the baubles among the host nations there. What's the capacity of Mumbai's stadium?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid said:
I'm going to it for sure.

TBH, I was planning to go too, but think... we're gonna be in University at that time...will we really get the time to go?

Other than that, I would go for sure!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
with India hosting the final in 87 & Pakistan in 96, shouldn't Sri Lanka have gotten it this time?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hey whats wrong with Bangladesh host it?:laugh: look it would be the best because host most times dont go to the finals any way so which country have the most spectators for other teams? thats right Bangladesh as the people need a second team because their team right now suck:laugh: why aren't they hosting the finals in Kolkata they have Capacity 90,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so if they market right look at how sick that would be 90,000 people at the FINAL!!!!

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
LA ICE-E said:
how sick that would be 90,000 people at the FINAL!!!!
It would look like this:

The capacity of the ground isn't really important these days. As long as it's a reasonable size, the TV audience is all that matters.

adharcric

International Coach
Turbinator said:
TBH, I was planning to go too, but think... we're gonna be in University at that time...will we really get the time to go?

Young ones. :laugh:
I should be working by then. I'll be there for sure. :cool:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
16 tins of Spam said:
It would look like this:

The capacity of the ground isn't really important these days. As long as it's a reasonable size, the TV audience is all that matters.
what stadium is that?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LA ICE-E said:
what stadium is that?
MCG.

16 tins of Spam said:
Tell the people organising the Rugby World Cup in NZ that!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The IRB were worried about our small stadiums so we used the catchphrase "New Zealand is a stadium of 4 million people".

Dravid

International Captain
Turbinator said:

Who gives a **** about university when you can go see the biggest event in Cricket. I'll miss college for as long as I have to and just make it up but I can't miss the World Cup final and make it up anytime soon.