• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 WC final to be hosted in Mumbai

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
I guess, but even if you can call yourself the best one day cricket team in the world...so what? I dunno, I see ODI's as fun little things on the side, I am not sure if I would take that much pride in winning a WC, that I would from beating SA in their home.
what? you are taking tests too high...yes it great than odi but saying a test series is better that the world cup? uh no not even ashes is beter than the world cup because you play a whole much of teams to win it all? how many teams you have to beat to win a series one no matter how many games you play...you focus on that one team in the world cup you have different plans for different teams it takes a different skill to win the world cup....so saying a test series is better is taking it way too far....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
LA ICE-E said:
what? you are taking tests too high...yes it great than odi but saying a test series is better that the world cup?
Easily.

LA ICE-E said:
uh no not even ashes is beter than the world cup because you play a whole much of teams to win it all? how many teams you have to beat to win a series one no matter how many games you play...you focus on that one team in the world cup you have different plans for different teams it takes a different skill to win the world cup....so saying a test series is better is taking it way too far....
Eh? Taking it too far? I think winning a test series in South Africa would be a greater test of skill than winning a WC. If you disagree, more power to you. For me, its not even close. Winning a series in South Africa, England or Australia would easily be better than winning the word cup, by a huge margin. It wouldn't even be close.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
Easily.

Eh? Taking it too far? I think winning a test series in South Africa would be a greater test of skill than winning a WC. If you disagree, more power to you. For me, its not even close. Winning a series in South Africa, England or Australia would easily be better than winning the word cup, by a huge margin. It wouldn't even be close.
so you care more about skill than performing? ok ashrafuls quick hundred agaisnt australia and his maiden test century against sri lanka shows great skill but that didn get him on the team ....he had to show he could perform....world cup you have to perform game after game and try to win in test you try to win and then when you in deep hole you try to draw.....and think about performing in the next test to win it....whatever you have you own opinion and the majority has theirs but just because you hold test the highest doesn make you a true cricket fan doesnt matter what kind you like or if you like all of them you just have to be a true fan to be one you could like odi's and be a true cricket fan doesn't matter...any way not questioning you fanability but i just think world cup is the most important thing

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
LA ICE-E said:
so you care more about skill than performing? ok ashrafuls quick hundred agaisnt australia and his maiden test century against sri lanka shows great skill but that didn get him on the team ....he had to show he could perform....world cup you have to perform game after game and try to win in test you try to win and then when you in deep hole you try to draw.
I'm sorry but winning a test against Australia in Australia is a hell of a lot harder than winning an ODI against anyone. I mean its not even close. Hell if you manage to win a test series in Australia, you've just done something that no other side has done in what? 15 years? It is ridiculously hard to do so. WC wins are not even remotely close to the skill, commitment and consistent excellence thats required.

And no, its not easy to draw tests against teams like Australia.

LA ICE-E said:
but just because you hold test the highest doesn make you a true cricket fan doesnt matter what kind you like or if you like all of them you just have to be a true fan to be one you could like odi's and be a true cricket fan doesn't matter...any way not questioning you fanability but i just think world cup is the most important thing
When did I say anything about true fan? I said, personally, I wouldn't give a toss who won the WC if we win the series in South Africa. If you disagree, I never said you shouldn't.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyway, I'm watching the best series in cricket (Ashes) and watching Harmison make crap of England plans again, so you'll find me in the Ashes thread.

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:
The World Cup is not simply "winning a bunch of ODI games". Winning a World Cup means that you can call yourself the best one-day team in the world.
I would take a series victory in South Africa over a victory in the Champions Trophy, Asia Cup or any other one-day series for sure.

World Cup > Away Victory vs. Aus > Away Victory vs. Eng/SA/NZ/WI > Home Victory vs. AUS > Victory vs. PAK > Away ODI Victory vs. AUS > Away ODI Victory vs. SA >
All Other Test Victories > All Other ODI Victories IMO :)

By the way, by Victory I mean a positive series result, not a one-off.
Well said.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I guess, but even if you can call yourself the best one day cricket team in the world...so what? I dunno, I see ODI's as fun little things on the side, I am not sure if I would take that much pride in winning a WC, that I would from beating SA in their home.
That's just you. ODI is competitive and not useless.

Dravid

International Captain
aussie said:
I know Sri Lankan crowds are usually pretty small, but thats only test, they usually go to ODI's mostly.
India would still end up drawing more neutral crowd than Sri Lanka.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Of course, its just me. And I know I'm in the minority because I can see how much more money the one dayers make.
Well, that's mainly because the common masses (ignorant fans) can only appreciate ODIs. The thing is, even serious fans rate the World Cup very highly in terms of significance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Well, that's mainly because the common masses (ignorant fans) can only appreciate ODIs. The thing is, even serious fans rate the World Cup very highly in terms of significance.
Sure, and it is. But winning a test series in SA? Thats huge too, isn't it? I am not saying WC is insignificant (only ODI series that isn't), but winning in SA with the conditions that they have would be a bigger deal IMO.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always rated Tests > ODIs and always will, but I still enjoy the limited overs game and while I can take or leave the Champions Trophy or the plethora of ODI series that seem to go on endlessly, I love the World Cup and agree that most real cricket fans do too. You can't go wrong seeing all the world's best cricketers together in one place for a month-long extravaganza like that, and the chance to see the minnows that you don't usually get to see over the course of a normal series adds to the appeal. And when they play out of their skins and spring a shock, or a Kenyan/Canadian/Dutchman steps up and takes Lee to the cleaners or dismisses Tendulkar, that just increases the charm even more for me.

I would have loved to go to the WC in the Caribbean next year but work and time commitments mean that I can't, so I'm definitely booking ahead to get to 2011. I've never been to either Sth Africa or the Subcontinent, so the WCs of 2010 and 2011 will knock those two destinations off my places-to-go list nicely!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Neil Pickup said:
And maybe, just maybe, you'll have a good Indian team to support by then...

... but don't get your hopes up :p
and maybe, JUST maybe, you might actually have a decent ODI side by then. :p

adharcric

International Coach
honestbharani said:
hopefully, me too. Maybe we could have a big CW get together or something on the sidelines. :)
Just gotta make sure SS shows up. I'd love to beat the crap out of him while he stands there with his stupid rifles. Fool can't even hold a bat properly. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Neil Pickup said:
Difference is I'm not that fussed about it :p
sorry, didn't see that earlier. But still, u gotta admit u at least wish u were better in ODIs sometimes, right. Just like we wish we were better in tests overseas. :p

Dravid

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Difference is I'm not that fussed about it :p
Because it's usually normal for you. We play like this once every four year.

India getting out for 91 is as much of shock as it would be to you if England won an ODI by +100 runs or >7 wickets.