• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 WC final to be hosted in Mumbai

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
Who gives a **** about university when you can go see the biggest event in Cricket. I'll miss college for as long as I have to and just make it up but I can't miss the World Cup final and make it up anytime soon.
I'm as crazy a cricket fan as you'll ever find, but I have two words for you. Bad idea.

Missing lectures for cricket. Yes. Missing labs for cricket. Yes. Missing an extended length of school (midterms, finals, etc) for cricket. You'll die.

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:
I'm as crazy a cricket fan as you'll ever find, but I have two words for you. Bad idea.

Missing lectures for cricket. Yes. Missing labs for cricket. Yes. Missing an extended length of school (midterms, finals, etc) for cricket. You'll die.
Hey, I said I was only going for the finals. That's flying there, watching the game, flying back. It will take what, 4-5 days? I think I would be able to afford that.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
Hey, I said I was only going for the finals. That's flying there, watching the game, flying back. It will take what, 4-5 days? I think I would be able to afford that.
Hmm alright. Tell me that AFTER your parents buy you a thousand-dollar plane ticket for a 3-day stay. Of course, you could get a job and take care of it yourself. :happy:

Dravid

International Captain
Obviously, I work already. Well I do when I'm in US. And my parents have had a week stay before themselves so they won't mind.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid said:
Who gives a **** about university when you can go see the biggest event in Cricket. I'll miss college for as long as I have to and just make it up but I can't miss the World Cup final and make it up anytime soon.
Yup, adharcric is right, bad idea.... Anyways there will be plenty of WCs to watch after we graduate!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And maybe, just maybe, you'll have a good Indian team to support by then...

... but don't get your hopes up :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:

And maybe you'll have won a game in Australia by then.

OK, so I'm just sour because I can't think of a single way to refute your statement. :@

In any case, I would take a Test series in in SA over a world cup anyday. It would certainly take a bigger effort IMO. Not that either is likely, mind you.

adharcric

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
You just lost another fan for the 3rd Test. Let's hope the Aussies demolish you again. :p
silentstriker said:
Not that either is likely, mind you.
True. Have faith you *****! :cool:

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Isn't that what was said before the 2003 WC too... and aren't you English? (when it comes to ODI tournaments like the WC, I suggest you guys make up for the sleep you lost during the Ashes)

EDIT: Was just teasing you btw, don't get offended...

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
16 tins of Spam said:
It would look like this:

The capacity of the ground isn't really important these days. As long as it's a reasonable size, the TV audience is all that matters.
It's always better to have a sell out though. 45k is a bit small though

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
And maybe you'll have won a game in Australia by then.

OK, so I'm just sour because I can't think of a single way to refute your statement. :@

In any case, I would take a Test series in in SA over a world cup anyday. It would certainly take a bigger effort IMO. Not that either is likely, mind you.
8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
Suprised you wouldn't TBH. WC is great and all, but an overseas test victory, especially aganst a very good team under conditions that are absolutely against what the Indian team is good at (i.e good solid cricketing conditions)? It wouldn't be close for me.

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Suprised you wouldn't TBH. WC is great and all, but an overseas test victory, especially aganst a very good team under conditions that are absolutely against what the Indian team is good at (i.e good solid cricketing conditions)? It wouldn't be close for me.
That's interesting. Though I consider Test Cricket to be the better form of the game, I wouldn't trade one away Test series victory over being the WC Champions. Plus, in the case of SA, the victory is not against the best team in the world, so it's not like you're trading being the best in ODI for being the best in Test (or at least beating the best). You get to be anointed the World Champions for 4 freaking years if you win the World Cup. So in my case, I would take a WC finals victory over a series win against the 2nd/3rd/4th best team in Test.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Same reasons as Fusion.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Neither would I. Mind you, test cricket >>>>> one-day cricket.

Still, the World Cup >>> any test series. The only thing that would be on par with a World Cup is utter domination in test cricket (ie what Australia recently managed).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wow, I'm shocked to hear you guys say that. I guess I am in the minority. I always knew I was in the minority compared to the whole population, but on CW I would have thought otherwise.

If it was a win in India vs. SA, I would say not. But in SA, where we just got thumped in ODI, and where the conditions do not suit us at all...to win a test series? That would be beyond amazing for me TBH, much more so than winning a bunch of ODI games.

adharcric

International Coach
The World Cup is not simply "winning a bunch of ODI games". Winning a World Cup means that you can call yourself the best one-day team in the world.
I would take a series victory in South Africa over a victory in the Champions Trophy, Asia Cup or any other one-day series for sure.

World Cup > Away Victory vs. Aus > Away Victory vs. Eng/SA/NZ/WI > Home Victory vs. AUS > Victory vs. PAK > Away ODI Victory vs. AUS > Away ODI Victory vs. SA >
All Other Test Victories > All Other ODI Victories IMO :)

By the way, by Victory I mean a positive series result, not a one-off.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
The World Cup is not simply "winning a bunch of ODI games". Winning a World Cup means that you can call yourself the best one-day team in the world.
I would take a series victory in South Africa over a victory in the Champions Trophy, Asia Cup or any other one-day series for sure.
I guess, but even if you can call yourself the best one day cricket team in the world...so what? I dunno, I see ODI's as fun little things on the side, I am not sure if I would take that much pride in winning a WC, that I would from beating SA in their home.