• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20-20 cricket

andmark

International Captain
Andmarks dad here!!! Just wondering what you all think of the 20-20 game,is it the best thing since sliced bread or has it pushed the one day boundaries too far?
i myself feel a 20-20 world cup is just around the corner and the format does provide tremendous excitement,what worries me though is the thirst for aggressive batting and bowling may start to reduce the input county champship has in the domestic game and cricket may end up like american football or basketball where more importance seems to be on the half time entertainment!!!!
any views always more than welcome t/y

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I would always class myself as a traditionalist but I enjoy 20/20.

It carries no pretentions and I look forward to the 20/20 WC in SA towards the end of 07 (just after I leave :@ )

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah agreed Goughy :)

20/20 is fun to watch, it gets people watching cricket, and maybe take the step to test cricket.
nah im all for it :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Goughy said:
It carries no pretentions and I look forward to the 20/20 WC in SA towards the end of 07 (just after I leave :@ )
September isn't it?

My best mate has suggested we go over for it - I'll go, but more for the country than the Cricket to be honest.

PrincePeiterson

Cricket Spectator
I love my Test matches, nothing can compare to them, however I'm really hanging out for that 20/20 international series, will be brilliant. I would go as far as saying that I find 20/20 cricket more attractive than the one-day game now. The only thing that the ODi game still has going for me is the World Cup.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
test matches test the players skills odi has bit of excitement and do have a bit of what test has but is decided on the 1st half or the begging of 2nd half too many times...while 20/20 has excitment and is rarely decided before the last 5 overs of the match so it provides the most tension which is great....what i fear is that 20/20 championship will lessen the importance of world cup as more people will probably go there than world cup and more people giving attention to something puts more attention to that....or 20/20 could help cricket bring attention thats it not take importance from odi's....although i agree with ss wouldnt mind if 20/20 replaced odi and the world cup changed to this format....because always thought less has more importance than somthing that's abundant... 1 world cup better that 2 world cups lets see what happens...

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Enjoyable to watch but I'd prefer watching Tests or ODI's, but if it gets people watching and playing cricket then that's a good thing.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
pasag said:
One a tour as an exhibition game max, anything more is pushing it.
guess new zealand its pushing it huh cause they have two 20/20 in store for the sri lankan series ..... well this would how my series would look like
1st 2-3 tests
then 3 odis
and to finish of the series with excitement and some relaxement(for the players before new serie) 1-3 20/20(becuase they dont really take times)

....although revese would work but then you finish the series with hard working tests for the players.....more tests added to series like the ashes n ind-pak but not in normal ones

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH i rather watch of 20Twenty Match then in 50 Over One Day Match. ODI are becoming quite boring and predictable IMO.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Twenty20 games should either be in a tournament designed for entertainment or as a warm up for the Test or ODI series between two countries, any more than 1 a tour is ridiculous and yes I think New Zealand are stupid to organise two against Sri Lanka.

Dravid

International Captain
It's good, but it's not Cricket. Cricket is a sport that tests your patience and skills. Even ODI Cricket does that. Twenty20 is like baseball and all you do is just go out there and hit the ball as hard as you can. I don't mind it being played, but not that often.

cover drive man

International Captain
Dravid said:
It's good, but it's not Cricket. Cricket is a sport that tests your patience and skills. Even ODI Cricket does that. Twenty20 is like baseball and all you do is just go out there and hit the ball as hard as you can. I don't mind it being played, but not that often.
You've got a point there.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
Twenty20 games should either be in a tournament designed for entertainment or as a warm up for the Test or ODI series between two countries, any more than 1 a tour is ridiculous and yes I think New Zealand are stupid to organise two against Sri Lanka.
I disagree. Twenty20 brings in the money, and even though I like tests the most, its exciting to watch.

If Twenty20 makes money, then NZ are smart to play two considering I could count the crowd to the first test on my fingers and toes.

Matt79

Global Moderator
don't mind 20/20 as a stunt or for domestic teams, but its no good as a replacement for ODIs.

If 50 over matches are becoming boring, then they should tinker with the rules a bit to make it more interesting, and no dumb stunt rules like powerplays or supersubs. Damien Fleming had some good suggestions in the most recent Inside Cricket, to even the contest between bat and ball a bit and make the contests more interesting to watch. They included allowing more than one bouncer, and allowing a bowler an extra over for every wicket they take - so if Murali takes 3 wickets in his ten overs, he can bowl another 3 overs. Other options he canvassed were retaining the power plays, but making the rule that one of the 5 over spells must be activated in the last 25 overs of the game.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dumbed down cricket that has the danger of taking over the modern game to the extent that Tests and ODI's are played a lot less.. Designed for people who can't concentrate for long periods of time, and cricket is clearly not suitable for them.. Not a fan, as some here might have guessed :laugh: