• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20-20 cricket

cover drive man

International Captain
my opinion is that 20/20 was brought in to bring young people into cricket, and with all the touraments and series coming up a 20/20 world cup sounds mad.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid said:
It's good, but it's not Cricket. Cricket is a sport that tests your patience and skills. Even ODI Cricket does that. Twenty20 is like baseball and all you do is just go out there and hit the ball as hard as you can. I don't mind it being played, but not that often.
Twenty20 is just as much a test of skills as any other format. Fielders are always in the game, bowlers are always in the game, batsmen are always in the game. Everyone can make a difference with good or bad play. Instead of patience it's more pressure orientated, it's a different challenge. ODI cricket tests the patience of the spectators and fans more than anything. As anyone who actually follows Twenty20 cricket properly will know going out there and trying to hit the ball as hard as you can rarely works. Batsmen who can execute a wide range of shots well succeed.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I'm changing coming round to Twenty20 cricket gradually...however, like with any form of cricket I'd like to see it played on non-flat pitches. I prefer ODIs marginally I suppose, and obviously Tests over everything.

Natman20

International Debutant
In summary:

True Cricket fans = Tests
True Cricket Fans - some = ODIs
People that think other (ODIs/Tests) cricket is boring = Twenty20

Some people that have not begun watching cricket properly because a lot of people believe its boring and not worth watching whereas Twenty20 is a scheme that makes the game seem more interesting to those that would otherwise see cricket as boring. For those of us that enjoy test cricket we have to come to terms with the facts that just playing test or ODI cricket would not produce the mass audience that is now attracted to Twenty20 and therefore twenty20 is another way for cricket organisations to make money. Tough cookies on us that would rather watch a 5-day long match but thats the way audiences are attracted now.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Matt79 said:
If 50 over matches are becoming boring, then they should tinker with the rules a bit to make it more interesting
but making the rule that one of the 5 over spells must be activated in the last 25 overs of the game.
i agree with some of it....there's going be the bowl out rule for the cricket world cup for odis!!!! it was active in the champions trophy too but there was no ties.....but then my ? is whats the difference from 20/20 and 0di? just the no ball rule? and time and overs rule? so really it was one rule of its own the no ball rule....it had the bowl out but not any more.....so thats like 40 overs game then what 10 over games? come on 20/20 needs more of its rule to be different from odi like it was different from tests....i am not aware of it so whats the bowl out rule for 20/20 bowl out is it when theres a resulted needed or is it any game that ends up in a tie it happens?....cause bowl out for the world cup/ODi's will be when result is needed(that is if icc decides to keep it).....

i also kind of agree with power play thing but i think that after the 1st ten overs you cant take it for like 5 overs then once you take it you cant take it for another 5 overs.... so it be like 10. 15-20. 25-30. the earliest you could be done with it is 30th over... because run rates slows down at the 20-40 over and then they try to get it up at the last 10 overs

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one who is sick of this 'true cricket fan' stuff? All it is is people who dislike Twenty20s trying to take the high ground by saying that the other stuff is't a game that great connoisseurs of the game such as themselves would ever waste their time on.

It is OK for someone to like all forms of the game, doesn't make them any less of a true cricket fan.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
Am I the only one who is sick of this 'true cricket fan' stuff? All it is is people who dislike Twenty20s trying to take the high ground by saying that the other stuff is't a game that great connoisseurs of the game such as themselves would ever waste their time on.

It is OK for someone to like all forms of the game, doesn't make them any less of a true cricket fan.
agree im tired of that shi* too i like watching odis then test i have to admit but thats ok the whole subcontinents that way but i like 20/20 the most (as i would watch the whole thing wise) now how many of you really watch a test match all the way without watching something else? as for playing its the other way around as i love play as much cricket as i can i like all three forms but like to watch its- 20/20 odi test like to play tests odi (never really played 50 overs but 40) and then 20/20

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Dasa said:
I'm changing coming round to Twenty20 cricket gradually...however, like with any form of cricket I'd like to see it played on non-flat pitches. I prefer ODIs marginally I suppose, and obviously Tests over everything.
That's the thing with Twenty20 more than the other two main formats, you can still get a good game that lasts most of the duration with any sort of pitch. For some reason Durham have gone for really bowler friendly pitches over the last couple of seasons and the games still last most of the 40 overs and a lot have been close. The only pitches that are a bit crap sometimes for Twenty20 are the odd ones in SA ironically, where on some pitches it's difficult to score and difficult to get anyone out and you see scores like 140-5 after a late flurry of wickets and the only bowlers that are expensive are the fast bowlers.

I do think most Twenty20 pitches have a bit in them for bowlers - that's how it should be, tho even on the flattest of wickets bowlers will always have a chance because batsmen have to be so aggressive.

andmark

International Captain
interesting views about 20/20 but what i would like too see is 2 innings a side in a day,which would bring more tactics and thought required rather than the 20 over heave ho.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah I heard about that. I'd much rather watch a 2 innings 20 over match (80 overs), rather than a single innings 50 over match (100 overs).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Yeah I heard about that. I'd much rather watch a 2 innings 20 over match (80 overs), rather than a single innings 50 over match (100 overs).
Or we could have nine innnings where three batsmen are allowed to play per inning per side. And then we could just have the same bowler instead of switching every six balls.

And then remove the run ups and the bowling action laws and make the bats thinner and rounder. That'll do it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Douglas Jardine gave the best description of 20/20 cricket when he said "To compare 20/20 Cricket to Test Cricket is to compare a quick bonk with an old boiler to hours of tender love making with your chosen partner."

Scaly piscine

Lillian Thomson said:
Douglas Jardine gave the best description of 20/20 cricket when he said "To compare 20/20 Cricket to Test Cricket is to compare a quick bonk with an old boiler to hours of tender love making with your chosen partner."
Sounds like someone who's trying to fit their best line into a place where it doesn't even remotely fit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SirBloody Idiot said:

But sometimes I look at the hacking and swiping from ball one and wonder if I'm watching cricket or baseball.. Each to their own I guess..

LA ICE-E

State Captain
andmark said:
interesting views about 20/20 but what i would like too see is 2 innings a side in a day,which would bring more tactics and thought required rather than the 20 over heave ho.
they have something like that its a new zealander who came up with it but its 10 per innings so thats like a mix of odi and test but i im good with 20/20 dont need another form

shortpitched713

International Captain
Except then you'd go back to the same problems you had with one day cricket, namely people don't have time to sit around and watch 80 overs of cricket.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
shortpitched713 said:
Except then you'd go back to the same problems you had with one day cricket, namely people don't have time to sit around and watch 80 overs of cricket.
if you play with 10 per innings for 2 innings thats still 40 overs but its too late for a change and no more forms of cricket are needed if they wanted the mix they should have chosen it earlier but the only thing that needs to be done is they need to differenciate 20/20 from odi