• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series

brockley

International Captain
Whether white bowls well or not does not effect things we have symmo and clarke who can bowl 10 well.First things first can he do the number 7 job and i think he will and his bowling will be more than useful.As i see it in the west indies we will play 4 fast bowlers and symmo and white will fill in for 10,the bounce he gets will be useful in the windies.
Personally i don't see watson getting back in if hayden performs and white performs where is there a door for him.Voges very unlucky but will play for australia one day with distinction.

Josh

International Regular
White should bat higher than 7, imo. Perhaps 4 to fill in for Martyn, keeping the rest of the order as it was??

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
howardj said:
Mate, I don't think the next few months is about looking to the future. Rather, the selectors will just be hell bent on picking a combination to win the World Cup. But, even on that score, I agree with your conclusion that selecting Hayden was an error. Jacques or even promoting Clarke for mine.
no c

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
White should bat higher than 7, imo. Perhaps 4 to fill in for Martyn, keeping the rest of the order as it was??
No-one barring a Victorian would have posted that.

Everyone in the Australian one day batting lineup bats in the top 4 for their state. White is the new boy on the block, can score quickly from word go and is IMO a worse batsman than the other six in the side. All that points to him batting 7. Clarke or Hussey will bat 4.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What a terrible nickname, Hilfenhaus. Surely someone could have come up with something a bit more creative out of that. "Halfway Haus"??
Just babel fished 'Hifenhaus'.

It came back as "Assistance House".......

Sounds promising.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If White plays, i'd bat him at 6, moving Clarke up to 4, or bat him 7, moving Hussey to 6, Clarke to 4.

brockley

International Captain
White is a perfect no 7 very capable,but the batsmen 1 to 6 will do most the job,especially hussey at 4 white is the insurance and he is well capable.
essentially it means going into the world cup we will probably play 4 pacemen and 2 allrounders good depth really.
I don't rate this kiwi attack and englands' attack i fear white will hardly get a bat anyway.
Great to see hilfenhaus get a game good insight for th future,and good to see work horses clark and mcgrath rested.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
brockley said:
I don't rate this kiwi attack and englands' attack i fear white will hardly get a bat anyway.
Bond and Vettori have excellent records against Australia. So does Jimmy Anderson in one day games.

brockley said:
essentially it means going into the world cup we will probably play 4 pacemen and 2 allrounders good depth really.
I wouldn't consider White an allrounder at international level. He'll probably bowl about as much as Symonds tbh.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Beats me how people can say Hayden's selection is wrong. Man is in form, why shouldn't he be picked?.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Technically it is a backward step yeh, but i get the feeling people don't want him picked because of his age TBH. But that really shouldn't be relevant he's in top form ATM & with Watson out i don't see why he can't do well in the coming series & the WC. Look at Jaysuriya 30 odd and still smoking it..

Jaques the other option as you aint too hot ATM so he missed his chance. If he was i would go for him though

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri-Lanka doesn't have anyone near Jayasuria's capabilities waiting in the wings though. Australia does have players whom i beleive are equal, if not better ODI batsmen than Haydos who can open. I agree that Jaques isn't in great form, but he isn't the only other opening option the way i see it.

Brad Hodge has been going great guns opening for Victoria, and Michael Clarke has previously done well whilst opening for Australia.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
beats me why the selectors insist on making a backwards step
How is it a backward step, hes better and in more form then anyone else who they would have open, add to that hes a very good fielder. This servies isn't about the future either, its about preparation for the WC, which i think Hayden will play a key role in retaining.

The only other batsmen i would think about picking would be Haddin, with 327 runs at 81 he is having a great year.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden simply isn't a particularly great ODI batsman. He's not bad, but there's other players who are worth trying and haven't been used and discarded, and are just as likely to make runs. I'd rate him on a similar level to Katich, who was worth his place in the team for most of the stint he had, but there's not much reason to recall him now.

Besides, I'd like to see someone get a run at the top who could take over the position once Watson returns to the team and allow Watson to bat at 4.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
How is it a backward step, hes better and in more form then anyone else who they would have open, add to that hes a very good fielder. This servies isn't about the future either, its about preparation for the WC, which i think Hayden will play a key role in retaining.
He was crap in the last world cup, has never been a good ODI bat, is the most overrated fielder in the history of the universe, at least on this board, and he really hasn't been in great relevant form. They finally drop him, twice, rightly so as he's almost as big a ballast at the top as Katich, and now they bring him back on the basis of what? One decent Ranger cup innings, that I saw and it wasn't as good as Jaques' performances against England, one of the teams actually playing in this series.

Now that Martyn retired, the rest of the top six is without par, and won't hurt too bad when Haddin takes over, but they want to bring this albatross back in. For what, the hundred in Melbourne, that was not a one day game, when he can score 150 from 130 bring him back, but at 35 he won't learn anything new. One day cricket is not about walking down the pitch to a seamer, it's about placement and strike rotation and improvisation and calculated assault. The other five know how to do all those things, Hayden doesn't.

He's there because Ponting is fond of him, and not so enamoured of the alternatives, if the quotes from the captain on the sqaud reveal anything. All he's doing there now is robbing younger players of needed experience by taking a position he's never done enough to earn. So the likes of Rogers, Jaques, and the half dozen or so middle order players more capable have to spend another few months in the wilderness before they inevitably replace him. Why not get the guys that are going to be there for the next five years in the team for a tri-series against NZ (not in great nick) and Eng (only consider losing worth the effort if it takes 3 or more days), rather than throw them in the deep end when the world cup comes around and Hayden has to be dropped when the selectors finally see the light, for the third time.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Lou Vincent's last 10 ODI innings:

As blinding as that record is, I think it's pretty easy to see why the man averages 25.34 in his ODI career.
Not that Marshall has been any better:

2*

How is Vincent unlucky and Marshall just undeserving of another look-in then? AFAIC neither is particularly good.

The main point is that Vincent is a middle order player that had been put up to open consistently throughout his career. He has said openly that he prefers NOT to open, which means in private he probably hates it.

Marshall has batted at 4 or 5 consistently throughout his career...in his preffered position, so I think that makes a big difference.

The last time Vincent batted in his preferred middle order spot, he scored 224 against Sri LAnka, Murali, Vaas, and Malinga..

And because Bracewell is one of the great thinkers of our time, Vincent was moved up to open the very next game averaged 50 for the game and was then subsequently dropped.

So the thing with Vincent is what would he have been like if he had batted in NZ's middle order his entire career,...... a lot better I think.

Josh

International Regular
Sri-Lanka doesn't have anyone near Jayasuria's capabilities waiting in the wings though. Australia does have players whom i beleive are equal, if not better ODI batsmen than Haydos who can open. I agree that Jaques isn't in great form, but he isn't the only other opening option the way i see it.

Brad Hodge has been going great guns opening for Victoria, and Michael Clarke has previously done well whilst opening for Australia.
Brad Hodge will never play any form of cricket at international level again.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marshall has batted at 4 or 5 consistently throughout his career...in his preffered position, so I think that makes a big difference.
And yet at 5 and 6, Marshall averages 43.14 in 10 innings, so there is an argument that by him batting up the order or down the order, he's also batting out of position.
The last time Vincent batted in his preferred middle order spot, he scored 224 against Sri LAnka, Murali, Vaas, and Malinga..
He scored 224 in an ODI? Oh wait, no he didn't. So that's irrelevant really. It doesn't qualify Vincent as a half-reasonable ODI batsman in any way.
And because Bracewell is one of the great thinkers of our time, Vincent was moved up to open the very next game averaged 50 for the game and was then subsequently dropped.
Actually, he scored 13 in his next match. And 92 in the following match. Against Zimbabwe.