Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: An Australian Team all under the age of 30

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator ChipSomeSixes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania
    Posts
    20

    An Australian Team all under the age of 30

    Most of the Australian team today is over 30, soon alot of players will be retiring. who would you pick for Australia if all plaers were under 30?

    I would chose:

    1. Phil Jaques, 27, NSW
    2. Tim Paine, 22, TAS
    3. Chris Rogers, 29, WA
    4. Michael Clarke, 25, NSW
    5. Adam Voges, 27, WA
    6. Shane Watson, 25, QLD
    7. Brad Haddin, 29, NSW (WK)
    8. Dan Cullen, 22, SA
    9. Mitchell Johnson, 25, QLD
    10. Ben Hilfenhaus, 23, TAS
    11. Shaun Tait, 23, SA

  2. #2
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    635
    thats one crap team

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSomeSixes
    Most of the Australian team today is over 30, soon alot of players will be retiring. who would you pick for Australia if all plaers were under 30?

    I would chose:

    1. Phil Jaques, 27, NSW
    2. Tim Paine, 22, TAS
    3. Chris Rogers, 29, WA
    4. Michael Clarke, 25, NSW
    5. Adam Voges, 27, WA
    6. Shane Watson, 25, QLD
    7. Brad Haddin, 29, NSW (WK)
    8. Dan Cullen, 22, SA
    9. Mitchell Johnson, 25, QLD
    10. Ben Hilfenhaus, 23, TAS
    11. Shaun Tait, 23, SA
    I'd go for Travis Birt above Voges, and I'm not sure about Cullen, but there's no obvious choice to go ahead of him. Other than that, I agree.

    Incidentally, I don't think it's a crap team at all. Johnson is a quality bowler, Tait is getting there, and Hilfenhaus has come miles in the last 12 months or so. Jaques, Clarke, Watson and Haddin are class batsmen and the two who aren't currently playing regularly for Australia (Jaques and Haddin) would be for most other countries. Rogers has been in phenomenal form in the last couple of years too, and Birt's looking like a future star. The only real weak link in the side is the spin bowling department.

    It's probably not as proven as some sub-30 sides you could pick for other countries, but very few of those players have any significant international experience due to the strength of the older players in the group, so mainly that's through lack of opportunity.

    EDIT: Also, you could have Rogers open with Jaques and pick someone else in the middle order instead of Paine. Cosgrove or Voges for instance.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 10-12-2006 at 11:09 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  4. #4
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898

    India Under-30 Team

    1. Wasim Jaffer
    2. Gautam Gambhir
    3. Mohammad Kaif
    4. Virender Sehwag
    5. Yuvraj Singh
    6. Subramaniam Badrinath
    7. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
    8. Harbhajan Singh
    9. Zaheer Khan
    10. Sreesanth
    11. Munaf Patel

    Reserves: Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik, Ramesh Powar, VRV Singh, Irfan Pathan


  5. #5
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,071
    That Australian side is pretty decent, though at test level I think the bowling would come up short.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    That Australian side is pretty decent, though at test level I think the bowling would come up short.
    IMO, most bowling attacks with an average age of 23 would come up short at test level. McGrath/Gillespie/Warne/Lee would still have been a fair attack when they were all in their early 20s, but aside from Gillespie none of them were particularly near their peak.

  7. #7
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    1. Wasim Jaffer
    2. Gautam Gambhir
    3. Mohammad Kaif
    4. Virender Sehwag
    5. Yuvraj Singh
    6. Subramaniam Badrinath
    7. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
    8. Harbhajan Singh
    9. Zaheer Khan
    10. Sreesanth
    11. Munaf Patel

    Reserves: Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik, Ramesh Powar, VRV Singh, Irfan Pathan
    Sehwag sure doesn't look under-30

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,050
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSomeSixes
    Most of the Australian team today is over 30, soon alot of players will be retiring. who would you pick for Australia if all plaers were under 30?

    I would chose:

    1. Phil Jaques, 27, NSW
    2. Tim Paine, 22, TAS
    3. Chris Rogers, 29, WA
    4. Michael Clarke, 25, NSW
    5. Adam Voges, 27, WA
    6. Shane Watson, 25, QLD
    7. Brad Haddin, 29, NSW (WK)
    8. Dan Cullen, 22, SA
    9. Mitchell Johnson, 25, QLD
    10. Ben Hilfenhaus, 23, TAS
    11. Shaun Tait, 23, SA
    Like Fuller i'd have Birt ahead of Voges, and i'd probably pick Cosgrove ahead of Rogers as well. If Cam White decided to bowl himself more in FC games i'd be tempted to play him instead of Cullen, or another option would be to play Cullen's SA teammate Cullen Bailey.

    The only other spot i'd considering fiddling with is WK, Chris Hartley is the best gloveman in Australia apart from Gilly imho.

    1.Jaques
    2.Paine
    3.Cosgrove
    4.Clarke (C)
    5.Birt
    6.Watson
    7.White/Cullen/Baileyv (Hartley would only bat 8 if White was the spinner)
    8.Hartley (WK)
    9.Johnson
    10.Hilfenhaus
    11.Tait
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816

    New Zealand Under 30 Side

    1. Jamie How
    2. Tim McIntosh
    3. Ross Taylor
    4. Lou Vincent
    5. Jesse Ryder
    6. Jacob Oram
    7. Brendon McCullum (wk)
    8. Daniel Vettori (c)
    9. James Franklin
    10. Kyle Mills
    11. Mark Gillespie

    Notable omissions: Hamish Marshall, Jeetan Patel, Peter Fulton, Andre Adams.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Hartley in front of Haddin is a joke. This stuff about him being the "best gloveman" is not only unproven, it's also splitting hairs. Would you also pick Healy instead of Gilchrist? The fact is, Haddin is a fine batsman who averages 40 in FC cricket and 50+ in recent years. He's probably in the top 10 batsmen outside of the test side in the country. On top of that he's a perfectly good keeper to both pace and spin and can easily hold down that spot in the team. If Haddin kept like Jimmy Maher it'd be relevant, but he's easily good enough.

    Anyway, I think Rogers has done a fair bit more than Paine to warrant a spot, too. Not only is he more experienced in a variety of condtions, he's also got a better FC average. A shade under 50 compared to 42. Paine might be better in a few years, but not yet.

  11. #11
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,848
    Heal as the tweaker ahead of Cullen.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    I would go with:

    1. Phil Jaques
    2. Chris Rogers
    3. Mark Crosgrove
    4. Michael Clarke
    5. Adam Voges/Travis Birt
    6. Shane Watson
    7. Brad Haddin
    8. Cam White
    9. Mitchell Johnson
    10. Ben Hilfenhaus
    11. Shaun Tait

    Rogers would get a slot as opener, Paine is slighty below and would only play as keeper IMO. Birt or Voges is a toss up, i rather go with Birt, but due to lack quality of spinning options Voges might get infront. White gets the spin bowling all rounders option, most of the spinners in Australia are pretty useless, so atleast White can bat and not really that far behind the rest as a spinner. Most of the attack will rely on the three seamers anyway.

    Looking at other countries possible under 30s, Australia is not that bad, but they will come back to the field in hurry, but Hussey and Ponting will keep them above the pack for a while.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,050
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Hartley in front of Haddin is a joke. This stuff about him being the "best gloveman" is not only unproven, it's also splitting hairs. Would you also pick Healy instead of Gilchrist? The fact is, Haddin is a fine batsman who averages 40 in FC cricket and 50+ in recent years. He's probably in the top 10 batsmen outside of the test side in the country. On top of that he's a perfectly good keeper to both pace and spin and can easily hold down that spot in the team. If Haddin kept like Jimmy Maher it'd be relevant, but he's easily good enough.

    Anyway, I think Rogers has done a fair bit more than Paine to warrant a spot, too. Not only is he more experienced in a variety of condtions, he's also got a better FC average. A shade under 50 compared to 42. Paine might be better in a few years, but not yet.
    Don't get me wrong, i think Haddin is a top WK, and is streets ahead of Hartley in WK/Batsmen terms, but i reckon as a pure keeper that Harts is slightly better. I guess you could say it's my QLD bias coming through On the note of his batting, i think i've mentioned a couple of times myself, that i think Haddin deserves an ODI spot purely because of his batting.

    I'd pick Haddin ahead of Hartley more often than not, the XI i posted above was a possible alternative.

    Another name that could be thrown into the middle order Mix could be Shaun Marsh? He's definetly behind Cosgrove & Birt, but imo probably on Par, or just below Voges.

    Anyones thoughts on George Bailey?? He had a good year along with Birt last year for Tassy, yet doesn't seem to be getting the same accolaides?

  14. #14
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,071
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    IMO, most bowling attacks with an average age of 23 would come up short at test level. McGrath/Gillespie/Warne/Lee would still have been a fair attack when they were all in their early 20s, but aside from Gillespie none of them were particularly near their peak.
    Yeah I understand but its interesting that a team like India only misses out on Kumble from its bowling attack (loses Sachin, Dravid and Laxman (and Ganguly as well) from its batting however which is obviously big)) but Australia has lost every one of its bowlers.

    Hell that bowling line-up adharcric put out may in fact be the bowling line-up India fields in a year or two, depending on how long Kumble can or wants to go on for. You can either see that as a positive or negative I guess.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,225
    Marsh needs to make a lot more runs. Bailey = underrated, Tassie's "Jamie Cox syndrome" striking again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW Players A-Z
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
  2. Relegation/promotion release
    By NZTailender in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30-11-2006, 10:33 PM
  3. Isn't Saurav Ganguly such a lovable character ?
    By DaBombayDuck in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 31-10-2005, 11:49 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •