• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no crowds at Christchurch at Test?

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Watching the first Test between NZ and Sri Lanka I was surprised at how few people turned up to watch a Test match, especially since NZ have so few at the moment. Martin Snedden couldn't work it out either. He said that he didn't think it was the price - $15 a ticket meant that pricing was not the issue.

I sat at the Gabba a couple of weeks ago where there were 40,000 per day and paid $110 for my ticket, and felt lucky that I had managed to get a ticket at all

What's going on in NZ?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a nation we aren't that supportive of Test cricket, there is no atmosphere at the games, people would rather watch it on TV, we don't have the passion other countries have, it's not our national sport. The list goes on my friend.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I was wondering in Australia, is cricket the most popular sport? If not, could someone show me a list of sports ranked in terms of popularity in Australia, to see where cricket is at?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
AFL would probably be the most popular sport numbers-wise. Cricket is probably the only sport that the whole nation loves though, the football codes are divided by state of birth usually. NSW and QLD are traditionally Rugby League states (though it's changing), ACT is mainly Union, though League used to be big there until the Raiders started sucking again. The rest of the states (Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and to a degree the Northern Territory) are mainly AFL states.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In winter, Australia wide all the various football codes (well except the A-League which mainly occurs in summer) are followed which means a split audience in terms of popularity.

However in summer cricket is generally the sole sport, and is loved all over Australia. Is Australia's national sport IMO.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
a few reasons. While the weather was pretty sunny on Day 1, Days 2 and 3 were like 4 seasons in one day..and when Christchurch gets cold, it gets bitterly cold.
NZ have been average at test cricket for awhile now and even though there is every chance they might win a test, they are just likely to do very badly like we've seen over previous seasons..it's just too painful for some to watch.

A few years ago when NZ were actually doing quite well at test cricket, they had fantastic crowds to the Basin Reserve in particular but they're just too hot and cold to draw a decent crowd right now.
I think if the weather comes up fine for the ODI's, we'll see some good crowds but NZ cricket have some work to do in the test arena.

cameeel

International Captain
Turbinator said:
I was wondering in Australia, is cricket the most popular sport? If not, could someone show me a list of sports ranked in terms of popularity in Australia, to see where cricket is at?
Participation wise (including juniors) it's:

Netball
Australian Rules
Cricket
Rugby League
Rugby Union

I think hockey is also quite high up.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
cameeel said:
Participation wise (including juniors) it's:

Netball
Australian Rules
Cricket
Rugby League
Rugby Union

I think hockey is also quite high up.

Participation wise (including juniors) football outstrips them all.

pasag

RTDAS
Jono said:
In winter, Australia wide all the various football codes (well except the A-League which mainly occurs in summer) are followed which means a split audience in terms of popularity.

However in summer cricket is generally the sole sport, and is loved all over Australia. Is Australia's national sport IMO.
Yeah pretty much. Best system tbh.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Turbinator said:
cricket is a national/most popular sport in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Australia, Jamaica, Guyana, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Antigua and Barbuda, Bermuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis and its like a second sport in england, new zealand, south africa and zimbabwehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_sport#Cricket

and crick goes 1st in australia then Australian rules football then Rugby league and/or Rugby Union then Football (soccer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_sport

and as for the reason people not showing up it has to do with again- different aspects of marketing

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
armchairumpire said:
Watching the first Test between NZ and Sri Lanka I was surprised at how few people turned up to watch a Test match, especially since NZ have so few at the moment. Martin Snedden couldn't work it out either. He said that he didn't think it was the price - $15 a ticket meant that pricing was not the issue.

I sat at the Gabba a couple of weeks ago where there were 40,000 per day and paid $110 for my ticket, and felt lucky that I had managed to get a ticket at all

What's going on in NZ?
There is a difference between the test at Gabba, and Christchurch. Look at the teams.

NZL aren't the biggest fans of Test Cricket, or they are too busy for it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
A low scoring typical NZ type Test, 1000 -1500 fans 2 and half day Test - This Test will be long forgotten but remembered for 1 reason only and that would be generally with regard to NZ and a certain non existent aspect of their game. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
JASON said:
Because India refused to tour NZ ....before the World Cup...
Yeah I'm perfectly aware of that. I'm not blaming SL, I'm saying if you keep playing a team for the third year in a row the fans will get bored.

Someone's a bit sensitive.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
JASON said:
A low scoring typical NZ type Test, 1000 -1500 fans 2 and half day Test - This Test will be long forgotten but remembered for 1 reason only and that would be generally with regard to NZ and a certain non existent aspect of their game.
Jono said:
Someone's a bit sensitive.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JASON said:
A low scoring typical NZ type Test, 1000 -1500 fans 2 and half day Test - This Test will be long forgotten but remembered for 1 reason only and that would be generally with regard to NZ and a certain non existent aspect of their game. :laugh:
Stop your whining and get over it.

archie mac

International Coach
Just on the No.1 sport in Aust. in regards to the ACT Aussie Rules was close to No.1 before the Raiders started in 1982.

Even now Canberra is a rare place in Aust (although there are others) where people follow all three of the main football codes.

Also in summer Tennis is very popular and at times has been just as well followed as cricket in Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
archie mac said:
Also in summer Tennis is very popular and at times has been just as well followed as cricket in Australia.
Yeah that's a fair call, but I do think it sort of stops once the Australian Open finishes. But tennis and cricket season in summer always rules. :cool: