Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cricket Lives Off India's Money

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

World Cricket Lives Off India's Money

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Eh, we already knew that. I wished that it didn't. BCCI stinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

TBH that TV deal is just for ICC sponsored multi-national events.

Places like England do fine with their domestic Test and ODI series and have good domestic and International TV deals. ECB have domestic broadcast media deals that total approx $400 million over 4 years.

Its not like the ESPN/Star money is the revenue on which the ECB survives and it is certainly not bankrolled by Indian advertising revenue.

No doubt, it is nice and beneficial but it is a stretch to say the world lives of India's money.

I would, however, be interested in seeing how the ICC earmarks this money. May be the move to Dubai will be worthwhile for taxreasons on deals like this.
    Last edited by Goughy; 10-12-2006 at 03:56 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    TBH that TV deal is just for ICC sponsored multi-national events.

Places like England do fine with their domestic Test and ODI series and have good domestic and International TV deals.

Its not like that money is the the revenue on which the ECB survives and it is certainly not bankrolled by Indian advertising revenue.

No doubt, it is nice and beneficial but it is a stretch to say the world lives of India's money.

I would, however, be interested in seeing how the ICC earmarks this money. May be the move to Dubai will be worthwhile for taxreasons on deals like this.
    Yea, I will try to find the stats but the ECB and the ACB would not be able to function at the level they do now without the international revenue generated from Indian rights. However, without India, Australia, England and South Africa would still be able to function just fine (maybe not at current levels)...its the others that are overly reliant.

Its never a good thing to rely on one thing. With the exception of the Ashes, a series between any two nations nets about $100,000 - $200,000 per match. An Indian ODI gets $2,000,000.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 10-12-2006 at 03:59 PM.

no big deal india is the power house for cricket like usa is the power house for baseball

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    However, without India, Australia, England and South Africa would still be able to function just fine (maybe not at current levels)...its the others that are overly reliant.

Its never a good thing to rely on one thing. With the exception of the Ashes, a series between any two nations nets about $100,000 - $200,000 per match. An Indian ODI gets $2,000,000.
    Pakistan probably nets quite a bit for their ODIs. Would like to think they could at least break even or be better off on their own. Don't have the figures though.

Yea, I will try to find the stats but the ECB and the ACB would not be able to function at the level they do now without the international revenue generated from Indian rights. However, without India, Australia, England and South Africa would still be able to function just fine (maybe not at current levels)...its the others that are overly reliant.

Dude, India PAID the Aussies and WI $1,000,000 per match in the DLF Cup. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Dude, India PAID the Aussies and WI $1,000,000 per match in the DLF Cup. That's ridiculous.
    Wonder how much they would have gotten without India?

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713
    Pakistan probably nets quite a bit for their ODIs. Would like to think they could at least break even or be better off on their own. Don't have the figures though.
    I heard they relied on the Indian tour to Pakistan to break even, and before they were in a pretty bad situation. Just what I heard though.

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Hahah thats so stupid.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    I heard they relied on the Indian tour to Pakistan to break even, and before they were in a pretty bad situation. Just what I heard though.
    I would assume that ODI series against non-Indian teams would be profitable, as attendacne is usually very good. Probably lose a fair bit of money on Tests though. ******* FTP!

A lot of corruption and mismanagement though, so I'm not surprised that Pakistan cricket doesn't get as much benefit from what should be a very profitable sport in Pakistan.

Its a bit of a ticking timebomb I reckon - not because of any evil subcontinental conspiracy to take over the game or anything (don't want to get drawn into that stupid discussion), but because its just fundamentally unhealthy to have such a preponderance of financial clout with any one team, or nation, in a sport. Its entirely likely that over the years, any one country is going to get severely upset over a decision by the governing body, but generally, if the majority is in favour, you have to take your lumps and deal with it or take your bat and ball and go home.

But if we are in a situation where one country, and it doesn't matter if its India, Australia, England, whatever, generates a significant absolute majority of the revenue of the sport as a whole, they're likely to feel they deserve more input into how the game is run. If they don't get it, they may well reach a point where they decide they'd be better to start their own comp. Then we're in a situation like World Series Cricket. Consider, if for some reason India withdrew or was thrown out of the ICC, similar to what happened to South Africa, they'd do what the Saffies did, and start organising their own matches and paying players from around the world to attend, instead of playing in ICC sanctioned matches. Given the depth of BCCI's pockets, its reasonable to think they'd easily secure the majority of players. Not a happy scenario really for those of us who love the game in its current form, warts and all.

I don't know what the solution to the general situation is - obviously the size, passion, and wealth of the Indian market is unique and impossible to replicate. Lets hope all involved can manage the inevitable tensions in a way where Indian cricket still feels like its getting a fair shake, and the other countries don't feel like they've had to sell out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    Its a bit of a ticking timebomb I reckon - not because of any evil subcontinental conspiracy to take over the game or anything (don't want to get drawn into that stupid discussion), but because its just fundamentally unhealthy to have such a preponderance of financial clout with any one team, or nation, in a sport. Its entirely likely that over the years, any one country is going to get severely upset over a decision by the governing body, but generally, if the majority is in favour, you have to take your lumps and deal with it or take your bat and ball and go home.

But if we are in a situation where one country, and it doesn't matter if its India, Australia, England, whatever, generates a significant absolute majority of the revenue of the sport as a whole, they're likely to feel they deserve more input into how the game is run. If they don't get it, they may well reach a point where they decide they'd be better to start their own comp. Then we're in a situation like World Series Cricket. Consider, if for some reason India withdrew or was thrown out of the ICC, similar to what happened to South Africa, they'd do what the Saffies did, and start organising their own matches and paying players from around the world to attend, instead of playing in ICC sanctioned matches. Given the depth of BCCI's pockets, its reasonable to think they'd easily secure the majority of players. Not a happy scenario really for those of us who love the game in its current form, warts and all.

I don't know what the solution to the general situation is - obviously the size, passion, and wealth of the Indian market is unique and impossible to replicate. Lets hope all involved can manage the inevitable tensions in a way where Indian cricket still feels like its getting a fair shake, and the other countries don't feel like they've had to sell out.
    Agreed with everything you said. Its not a healthy situation. The leverage is that the BCCI can't play against itself, so it will always need to convince other sides to join it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79

Agreed with everything you said. Its not a healthy situation. The leverage is that the BCCI can't play against itself, so it will always need to convince other sides to join it.

But those teams need not be the ICC sanctioned teams of the respective boards of the other member countries. They could well be rebel national teams, or "best of the world XIs" drawn by a chequebook that their countries couldn't hope to match.

Seriously, if India decided to recruit a team to come and play matches against the Indian team, and offered Ponting, Murali, Warne, Flintoff, Ntini, Lara, Gayle, Brett Lee, Bond, Kallis, Sangakara and Pietersen each three times what they are currently being paid, as well as facilitated deals with Indian companies for sponsorship deals, you don't think those players would go to play a season in India rather than stick with the establishment? I think it would be a 50-50 proposition, particularly if those players' salaries had taken a cut because their boards weren't getting Indian money any more. While it would be great for Indian fans, it would rather suck for the rest of the world, and would be unimaginably damaging to the fabric of the game - like WSC all over again, but bigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information