• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captain of 1946-65 World XI

Captain of 1946-65 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Please vote for the Captain of the 1946-65 World XI:

Len Hutton: 23 Tests, 12W (48%), 8D (35%), 4L (17%)

Frank Worrell: 15 Tests, 9W (60%) 1T (7%), 2D (13%), 3L (20%)

[Criteria: Must have captained their country to a win during the period]

1946-65 World Test XI

1. Len Hutton (54.62)
2. Arthur Morris (46.48)
3. Clyde Walcott (56.68)
4. Everton Weekes (58.61)
5. Frank Worrell (49.48)
6. Keith Miller (36.37) & (Bowl: 22.97)
7. John Waite (30.33)
8. Alan Davidson (24.59) & (Bowl: 20.53)
9. Ray Lindwall (21.15) & (Bowl: 23.03)
10. Jim Laker (14.08) & (Bowl: 21.24)
11. Fred Trueman (13.81) & (Bowl: 21.57)

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I think Keith Miller should be on that list

Both Hutton and Worrell were very negative captains.

Hutton was the first to slow the over rates down

And Worrell set very negative fields, but had a very attacking batting plan

Slifer

International Captain
Worrell. FIrst truly great West Indian captain. Captaining a team of men from different countries wood be nothing new, seeing that thats what he basically did as captain.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would like to point out that in the 6 series Hutton captained, England never lost a series.

Worrell captained in 3 series and lost 1.

Hutton was also a groundbreaking captain being Englands first pro captain (eathshattering at the time) and having the very rare feat of beating Australia both home and away.

Would also like to point out that Worrells average suffered more as captain than Huttons and Worrell never made a hundred as captain. This poll should not be the blowout it is.

Obviously Hutton for me.

C_C

International Captain
Worrell and this is easy.
Worrell was one of the best ever captains.
Hutton- though good, wasnt great.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While Len Hutton was a very good captain and has an excellent record, Frank Worrell was a real leader of men and judged by some to be the best captain the game has ever had, for that he get's my vote.

oz_fan

International Regular
Perm said:
While Len Hutton was a very good captain and has an excellent record, Frank Worrell was a real leader of men and judged by some to be the best captain the game has ever had, for that he get's my vote.
Agreed. Worrell for me too.

JBH001

International Regular
OMG!

21 - 3 to Worrell!

Wtf?!
That makes no sense at all.

Worrell should not even be in the side - let alone Captain.

(Its a wasted vote, but I would have no cricketing self respect left if I voted otherwise)

Hutton

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Who am I to argue with such a landslide.
Worrell.
And I love this team, too. I dont know how I missed voting for it, but its one hell of a formidable lineup and would sure take the fight to any international team.

bagapath

International Captain
chooka_nick said:
Who am I to argue with such a landslide.
Worrell.
And I love this team, too. I dont know how I missed voting for it, but its one hell of a formidable lineup and would sure take the fight to any international team.
that too after not selcting all-time greats like compton, harvey, benaud, bedser, hazare, mankad and tayfield. an awesome team no doubt.

worrel is my choice too.