• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's run out and the spirit of the game.

Were NZ right o run out Murali?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm sure that by now most of you will be aware of the controversional circumstances in which SL's Muttiah Muralitharan was run out today, but were NZ right to run him out, and does the 'Spirit of Cricket' hold any meaning any more?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd have done it. It's a Test match; you just don't wander out your crease and expect to get away with it.

Had a similar instance in an U13 game last year actually, batsman struck on the pads (not LBW) and then just stood out of his crease as the ball rolled to slip... who wandered up and flicked the bails off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, no issues here. To draw an analogy with football, I'd say it's roughly the moral equivalent of a striker having an open goal to aim after an opposing keeper has slipped whilst taking a goal-kick and accidentally passing the ball to him. It would be unprofessional for the attacker not to put the ball in the empty net & it would've been remiss of McCullum not to whip the bails off.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Murali's fault. The spirit of the game is bunch of BS anyway. I mean do you hear what the players say to each other out in the middle? :laugh:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Was the ball still mid-air during the return throw when it happened? If so then Murali should've stayed in his crease, simple as.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
Was the ball still mid-air during the return throw when it happened? If so then Murali should've stayed in his crease, simple as.
Yes, it was. I was one of the few people that watched it live. The SL dressing room was classic...Jayaurya literlaly said, "What the ****?"

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Yes, it was.
Well in that case I don't think McCullum did anything wrong at all. The whole 'spirit of the game' thing doesn't apply here as far as I am concerned. It goes along the lines of the Perzynski incident that year when the White Sox won the World Series.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The thing was though, was that he clearly wasn't trying to steal a run or anything, just congratulating Sangakkara.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Id have run him out too, it wouldn't have hurt him to wait a few seconds for the ball to become dead.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is the way the modern game is. Australia knew that Andrew Strauss wasn't out in the Second Innings at Adelaide but they happily appealed and sent him on his way. If there was such a thing as "spirit of the game" that wouldn't happen either.

(NB. I'm not singling out Australia or making out that it cost England the game, that was just the most recent example.)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes I watched it too, and Murali clearly tapped his bat down, before walking out to congratulate Sanga.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Don't really have any problem with this, Murali should have known better. Must also say I've done it myself before, when a guy was out off a no-ball but didn't realise, luckily for me he was only a spinner though so there was no retaliation later in the match.