• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee officially OUT!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Its Official Brett Lee has been dropped to 12th man for the opening Ashes test against England 2morrow...

The Final Squad is as follows:

Stephen Waugh (captain), NSW, age 37, 151 caps,
Adam Gilchrist (vice-captain), WA, age 30, 34 caps,
Andrew Bichel, QLD, age 32, 8 caps,
Jason Gillespie (subject to fitness), SA, age 27, 34 caps,
Matthew Hayden, QLD, age 30, 33 caps,
Justin Langer, WA, age 31, 54 caps,
Darren Lehmann, SA, age 32, 5 caps,
Damien Martyn, WA, age 31, 28 caps,
Glenn McGrath, NSW, age 32, 87 caps,
Ricky Ponting, TAS, age 27, 59 caps,
Shane Warne, VIC, age 33, 104 caps,
Brett Lee (12th man), NSW, age 25, 24 caps.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Hes not out yet is he i thought they would wait.
Oh well if he is he'll be back in for the WA game or my girlfriend will hurt me. and the pitch will suit a fast man

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
He has been dropped... I recieved my Media Release Update from the ACB.....

Dissapointing really as i thought he would bowl well....
But Bichel deserves his spot and good luck to him....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im really not surprised that Lee has been dropped. Bichel averaged 13 with the ball in the two test matches that he played against Pakistan which is very good in their own conditions.

Brett Lee really has never lived up to the hype that first surrounded him when he came onto the scene & I guess time is running out for him to find success more consistently or he'll be overtaken by the likes of Bracken, Noffke & Bichel before he knows it.

So much so for Brett's big mouth, he has been warning English team that he will really give them a hard time in Ashes series, now all he's gonna do is serve the drinks to the players!

Fastest waiter in the game, express service:lol:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally think the English are quite lucky....

Lee looked dangerous in the ING Cup match against SA the other day and by all reports has been ripping them down in the nets... I would have thought he would be given 1 more chance but never mind...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think he will be back in at the WACA, bichel usually gets picked for QLD, and i think that he would have been picked if the match were not in QLD

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm now praying that that is the batting order as well!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Gregory Blewett
I personally think the English are quite lucky....

Lee looked dangerous in the ING Cup match against SA the other day and by all reports has been ripping them down in the nets... I would have thought he would be given 1 more chance but never mind...
But let's face it, does it really matter who is the third seamer when there's McGrath, Gillespie and Warne in the attack as well?

I guess the thinking may be that Gillespie is not 100% fit, and they can rely on Bichel more in the event of losing him?

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree he deserves his spot but im just a bit dissapointed for Binga...

Bichel Tipifies the Aussie fighting spirit.. The guy has had to be patient and any lesser person would have given up in that time but he has kept toiling and toiling and it has finally paid dividends...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Either the Aussie Selectors listen to the press a lot more...or in Australia the press are damn good at guessing what the Selectors would do...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ha ha, those losers don't stand a chance against our lot!

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Crawley
Stewart
White
Giles
Caddick
Hoggard
Jones

About the only match-up we can claim is our number 11 batsman is better than your number 11!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178
I'm now praying that that is the batting order as well!
Only Ponting and Gillespie are on the right side of 30. This is certainly an aging team. They should start giving promising youngsters a chance right now or there might be a mass retirement one season and the selectors might be left with inexperienced, not-so-young new comers.

What is the age situation like in the England team?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Stewart and Hussain's last Ashes series most probably, Caddick might retire before then and if Gough doesn't get better then maybe he will finish next year. Trescothick and Vaughan arn't exactly young but they should have another few Ashes series in them. Hopefully Giles will be dropped before he has any chance to retire...Crawley won't make it past this winter with the England Squad. Other than that most of the English players are young enough to be around for a while yet...and theres allways the chance of Ian Bell coming in against Zimbabwe next year...PLEASE SELECTORS PICK HIM!!! Against Zimbabwe would be a quite easy and pressure free debut.

[Edited on 6/11/2002 by Rik]

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Giles
Caddick
Hoggard
Jones

About the only match-up we can claim is our number 11 batsman is better than your number 11!
:lol:

Marc, maybe Key would win the better drinks carrier award as well... afterall Lee hasn't done it before :P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
And Lee won't gain any experiance of carrying the drinks either...hes gone off to play for NSW...lets see how he does...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indies team waited till too late to introduce young players and look at the problems they are having now. They were a top team before then and Australia is now...........deja vu?