Damien Martyn has announced his retirement from all international and domestic cricket.
The Western Australian batsman notified Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland of his decision on Friday morning, which will be effective immediately.
Commenting on his decision Martyn said: "I would like to advise of my retirement from cricket, effective from today (Friday). I do so with a deep awareness of the opportunities that the game and Cricket Australia have provided for me."
"However, I'm also aware of the tremendous challenges facing Australian cricket including this current Ashes series. Such challenges require people who are more than 100 per cent committed, dedicated, disciplined and passionate about the game, what it seeks to achieve and how those involved in the game can best serve cricket, sport and the wider community."
"I feel, therefore, its time for me to move aside. I have enjoyed everything the game has given me. I have gained from it more then I could have ever imagined. I have made, in the playing of cricket, lifelong friends."
"In particular, I want to thank the Australian captain, Ricky Ponting and all members of the current Australian Test and one-day sides. They have always been utterly supportive, totally professional and completely committed to all that their responsibilities require of them."
"I said to myself when I made this decision in the last 48 hours that I may lose friends in doing what I'm doing. But I also said to myself that if I stayed doing what I was doing I may equally lose respect for myself and the friendship of those around me who are entitled to expect from me more than 100 per cent."
"I wish everyone associated with Cricket Australia the very best. In going, I'd like to commend the game to anyone who wants to achieve personal satisfaction, who wants to make good friends and wants to be part of a value system which will serve them long after they finish playing the game."
Australian captain Ricky Ponting said: "This decision is obviously something Damien has thought long and hard about and I know that I and all of the other members of the team will miss him greatly."
"Damien is one of the world’s most unsung players in both forms of the game and I don't think it is really understood how good a player he actually is. In recent times he won the Test in Johannesburg off his own bat and played a huge role in Australia claiming the ICC Champions Trophy in India for the first time."
"He is one of those players who, as the conditions and situations got harder and more difficult, the better he became. Some of his innings in Sri Lanka and India on turning pitches proved his class and I know I will miss his influence on the Australian team."
Commenting on Martyn’s retirement Mr Sutherland said: "Damien’s decision has come as a surprise to us but I fully respect his decision to retire on his terms. He has been a wonderful servant to Australian cricket for many years and has played an integral part in Australia being the number one Test and ODI team in the world. We wish him all of the best for his future endeavours."
Martyn played 67 Tests, the first being against the West Indies at the Gabba in 1992, scoring 4406 runs at 46.37. His final Test was during last week’s victory over England in the second 3 mobile Ashes Test in Adelaide. He also played 208 one-day international matches, the first also against the West Indies in Sydney during the 1992 season and has scored 5346 runs at 40.80.
Martyn's decision means the National Selection Panel will reconvene on Friday afternoon in order to select a squad for the third 3 mobile Ashes Test with an announcement expected later on Friday once they decide on a replacement for Martyn in the Perth squad.