• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn Retires !!!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad to see him go, especially so unexpectedly.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in. Hodge is injured, IIRC, so Jaques is in with a shot. Katich an outside chance too, given his recent form.

Dravid

International Captain
I say once Watson is fit, keep the line up the way it is with Watson comin in for Martyn and no one leaving the side

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
chaminda_00 said:
If Hodge and Watson are unfit then Katich or hopefully Cosgrove will get a game.

Hoping Katich, tbh. Deserves another shot. Jaques will get his run (easily) when Langer retires.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, does this create a bit of an opening of sorts for England, when they look across and suddenly there's a bit of unsettledness amongst their opposition. I'm sure they would rather this than playing against an unchanged line-up.

Dravid

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Hmm, does this create a bit of an opening of sorts for England, when they look across and suddenly there's a bit of unsettledness amongst their opposition. I'm sure they would rather this than playing against an unchanged line-up.
It's like a 1% boost in Englands chances of winning the 3rd test I believe.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NZTailender said:
Hoping Katich, tbh. Deserves another shot. Jaques will get his run (easily) when Langer retires.
Or if Haydos continues to make 16/17 and then get out.

Thanks for the memories Marto!!!

It's a shame really that he couldn't have retired after a good invidual performance with the bat, but in reality, i think i'd settle for being involved in 1 of the great last day performances by any team in test match cricket.

Watson, Jaques, Hodge & Katich would be those inline to get the no.4 spot you'd imagine. It also opens up the question of playing Macgill, and bumping Warne & Lee up to 7/8 for the next match.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I daresay if Watson was fit he would have come in for Martyn anyway, so I doubt it will make a huge difference in terms of actual team makeup. Martyn wasn't really making runs anyway. I suppose it depends how exactly Martyn left, whether or not it has a psychological impact on the team. Martyn did say something about "losing friends", but it's hard to say from the outside how it all happened.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
you can't be sereious? Katich has had plenty of opurtunities and blown them. Bring in Hodge, Rogers or North for mine.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
mikeW said:
you can't be sereious? Katich has had plenty of opurtunities and blown them. Bring in Hodge, Rogers or North for mine.

So has Clarke, and yet he proved himself. I honestly believe Katich can do the same.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If Katich plays, it'll definitely be as a short-term measure. They'll have no qualms about dropping him for Watson, no matter how well Katich does, IMO.

Pffft, What with this and his recent "knocks" Martyns gone out looking pathetically, mentally fragile really, shame. He'll soon be forgotten.

Anyway, Katich is a joke, no way. Hodge, hands down. Bring him back. He shouldn't have been dropped as it was.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Martyn was a critical part of the Aussie dominance over the last 10 years and it's a shame that he had to finish his career this way.

Having said that, recent history suggests that the Aussie Selectors give the long-term players a pre-warning that they'll be dropped in order for them to go out on their own terms. This sounds like one of those cases.

Hodge (if fit) to come in at # 5 for me, with Hussey moving up to # 4.

Laurrz

International Debutant
i think this is the start of things to come guys..its a dark period this

next, maybe Langer
then Hayden
then Gilchrist
then McGrath
then Warne

it seems the further it goes the more deafening each blow is...funnily enough they get older... but i just think the older guys are good enough to hold their spot

Langer Hayden Gilchrist may get the tap on the shoulder.. but i tihnk McGrath and Warne will decide without any help when their time is up

R_D

International Debutant
:-O
Loved watching Martyn bat... sad to see him go out like this.
I hated him during the india tour and always thought he was going to be the most dangerous batsman for india and he did turn out to be the one. I thought he would've at least stayed for his home match but i get the feeling selectors might have told him leave as his services won't be required anymore.

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's been a pretty bad time for Martyn in recent times. Dropped (unfairly, many would say, including myself) after the Ashes, he's struggled to find that great touch he had a couple of years previous to that fateful Ashes tour, and he's succumbed again and again to that waft outside off stump in direction of gully - which is obviously a concentration issue he was able to control through his purple patch. Apparently he split up from his wife not that long ago too.

I wonder if this is a bit of a **** you decision directed towards the selectors in anger, based on his "losing friends" comment, seeing as it was obvious he would have been replaced for Perth had Watto been fit. Perhaps he thought they would replace him with someone like Jaques anyway, or maybe he found the thought that they wouldn't, and that they might play him at Perth with the idea of replacing him as soon as Watson was fit, insulting.

Ideally, while respecting his decision, I think he should have done this a different way, and announced his retirement while agreeing to play in Perth. Very few players actually get a "final game" at which to soak up the adoration and goodbyes from their fans, particularly at their home ground, and I think he should have taken that opportunity. Of course, it's possible he requested this and the selectors denied it, but if so, that would be particularly heartless given that he'd have every motivation still to do well at his farewell, and the Ashes are just about in the bag anyway.

Regardless, wish the guy all the best, he was absolutely instrumental (indeed, one of the chief architects) in our great performance on the subcontinent over '04, particularly of course, winning in India. Great aesthetically, and able to comfortably rotate between defensive and aggressive defending on the situation. Like quite a few other excellent players, his greatest enemy was often himself.