• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the test squad chosen today

brockley

International Captain
Anyone?
Would be a good opportunity to drop martin and pick cam white as the 5th bowler we will need extra bowling at the waca,and its not as if martyn will get any runs anyway.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
May as well change the topic of conversation, and thus the title, to "Cameron White - prospects".

Two to three years - I think he can fulfil an important role at 6/7 in the ODI side, when Clarke and Hussey and the like move up the order. His batting is progressing at a really good rate in FC cricket too, but I think he's behind quite a few in the pecking order. It depends how things work out with Watson, and how well the next generation of wicket-keepers perform with the bat.

brockley

International Captain
Whoa didn't see this coming the selectors must have given damo a tap on the shoulder.

Martyn announces retirement

Damien Martyn has announced his retirement from all international and domestic cricket.

The Western Australian batsman notified Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland of his decision on Friday morning, which will be effective immediately.

Commenting on his decision Martyn said: "I would like to advise of my retirement from cricket, effective from today (Friday). I do so with a deep awareness of the opportunities that the game and Cricket Australia have provided for me."

"However, I'm also aware of the tremendous challenges facing Australian cricket including this current Ashes series. Such challenges require people who are more than 100 per cent committed, dedicated, disciplined and passionate about the game, what it seeks to achieve and how those involved in the game can best serve cricket, sport and the wider community."

"I feel, therefore, its time for me to move aside. I have enjoyed everything the game has given me. I have gained from it more then I could have ever imagined. I have made, in the playing of cricket, lifelong friends."

"In particular, I want to thank the Australian captain, Ricky Ponting and all members of the current Australian Test and one-day sides. They have always been utterly supportive, totally professional and completely committed to all that their responsibilities require of them."

"I said to myself when I made this decision in the last 48 hours that I may lose friends in doing what I'm doing. But I also said to myself that if I stayed doing what I was doing I may equally lose respect for myself and the friendship of those around me who are entitled to expect from me more than 100 per cent."

"I wish everyone associated with Cricket Australia the very best. In going, I'd like to commend the game to anyone who wants to achieve personal satisfaction, who wants to make good friends and wants to be part of a value system which will serve them long after they finish playing the game."

Australian captain Ricky Ponting said: "This decision is obviously something Damien has thought long and hard about and I know that I and all of the other members of the team will miss him greatly."

"Damien is one of the world’s most unsung players in both forms of the game and I don't think it is really understood how good a player he actually is. In recent times he won the Test in Johannesburg off his own bat and played a huge role in Australia claiming the ICC Champions Trophy in India for the first time."

"He is one of those players who, as the conditions and situations got harder and more difficult, the better he became. Some of his innings in Sri Lanka and India on turning pitches proved his class and I know I will miss his influence on the Australian team."

Commenting on Martyn’s retirement Mr Sutherland said: "Damien’s decision has come as a surprise to us but I fully respect his decision to retire on his terms. He has been a wonderful servant to Australian cricket for many years and has played an integral part in Australia being the number one Test and ODI team in the world. We wish him all of the best for his future endeavours."

Martyn played 67 Tests, the first being against the West Indies at the Gabba in 1992, scoring 4406 runs at 46.37. His final Test was during last week’s victory over England in the second 3 mobile Ashes Test in Adelaide. He also played 208 one-day international matches, the first also against the West Indies in Sydney during the 1992 season and has scored 5346 runs at 40.80.

Martyn's decision means the National Selection Panel will reconvene on Friday afternoon in order to select a squad for the third 3 mobile Ashes Test with an announcement expected later on Friday once they decide on a replacement for Martyn in the Perth squad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
His bowling is pretty attrocious, but he`s coming along nicely with the bat.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Some no-good, flea-infested mod should change the title of the thread to the new topic of relevancy. :cool:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's another thread for the Damien Martyn retirement.
Anyways, I think you'll find that White has a better FC average than a few more celebrated spinners going around.

brockley

International Captain
The team will be announced later in the afternoon,they must have given him the tap on the shoulder i reckon.
On white it was just a suggestion anyhow,you guys will have to come up with someone for martyn and hodge is injured,marcus north anyone.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hodge is only injured for the game on Wednesday, and should be right for the Vic Ford Ranger game on Friday. He'd have to be a show.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Hodge is only injured for the game on Wednesday, and should be right for the Vic Ford Ranger game on Friday. He'd have to be a show.
Vics arent playing on Wednesday.... They're playing today and Sunday. Hes a slight chance of playing on Sunday apparently.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the choice would be between Jaques, Hodge, Cosgrove and Katich to be honest. Not sure whether they like the idea of batting Jaques at #4 but it would be worth a shot, personally I would like to see Katich coming back into the team and getting a second chance, it's happened before with Langer, Ponting and Martyn and if he fails this time then he'll probably never play for Australia again.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Perm said:
I think the choice would be between Jaques, Hodge, Cosgrove and Katich to be honest. Not sure whether they like the idea of batting Jaques at #4 but it would be worth a shot, personally I would like to see Katich coming back into the team and getting a second chance, it's happened before with Langer, Ponting and Martyn and if he fails this time then he'll probably never play for Australia again.
Hes had 23 tests, thats plenty of time to prove his worth. He just isnt good enough to play for Australia.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to think that if the selectors gave him another chance he could come back into the side and do alright, but I imagine the main competition for the spot will be between Hodge and Cosgrove.