• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time spinner ratings (rankings by Silentstriker) - NEW METHOD

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Higher than Bhaji, wow.
Bhajji has had some terrible performances, mainly in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Australia. Thats 3/8 countries and way too much to overcome. And his other performances are nothing to write home about either.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Bhajji has had some terrible performances, mainly in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Australia. Thats 3/8 countries and way too much to overcome. And his other performances are nothing to write home about either.
Despite that, I always thought he was a better bowler than Giles.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Despite that, I always thought he was a better bowler than Giles.
If he is, he certainly does not bowl like it. Except at home in India. This ranking system really weeds out the home track bullies, as home advantage only is 1/8 of your ranking.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Give him a break. There is nothing wrong with us Americans.
I wasn't being (totally) serious.

And the "english accent" thing touched a nerve...

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
His figures are 0/355 in Pakistan. He doesn't have an average there...so what do I put in? I guess I'll just put in the worst figures of any of his other countries (Australia).
This is precisely the biggest problem with statistical ratings. That series in Pakistan was played on such ridiculously flat pitches that I don't even consider the first two matches in that series as real cricket. That's why I rate Yousuf's year slightly lower than everyone else (this is not a slight on Yousuf - just trying to give an example). Stats don't take this stuff into account. Another possible example was the Lillee in Pakistan experience - apparently those pitches were intentionally flattened like hell.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
This is precisely the biggest problem with statistical ratings. That series in Pakistan was played on such ridiculously flat pitches that I don't even consider the first two matches in that series as real cricket. That's why I rate Yousuf's year slightly lower than everyone else (this is not a slight on Yousuf - just trying to give an example). Stats don't take this stuff into account. Another possible example was the Lillee in Pakistan experience - apparently those pitches were intentionally flattened like hell.
Yuppers. Though, if I take out Pakistan, he still ranks very low.

Dravid

International Captain
steds said:
I wasn't being (totally) serious.

And the "english accent" thing touched a nerve...
You know, people say some people have an Indian accent, but there isn't such thing because there are so many different accents in India. But we never cry over it

adharcric

International Coach
SS, you're trying too hard now. This rating system is far crappier than the ones you used for batsmen and bowlers. Is this the beginning of the end? The decline of SS?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
SS, you're trying too hard now. This rating system is far crappier than the ones you used for batsmen and bowlers. Is this the beginning of the end? The decline of SS?
Eh..I think its giving more accurate results than the other one did, TBH. I guess you don't agree.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Eh..I think its giving more accurate results than the other one did, TBH. I guess you don't agree.
I don't know. Aren't you giving every country equal weightage regardless of how many matches were played there? Anyways, midterm in 2 hours ... later.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
I don't know. Aren't you giving every country equal weightage regardless of how many matches were played there? Anyways, midterm in 2 hours ... later.
Yea, I tried a more weighted system. The results didn't change in a significant manner (assuming I kept home weight constant and varied away weight based on the number of games played). The results didn't change all that much really, Bhajji came up right next to Giles, but thats about it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
KaZoH0lic said:
Nice idea mate. BTW how would Macgill do?
Not sure if its fair to rank him since he mostly plays only on pitches that Aussies think will benefit from two spinners, but I'll do it anyway.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Not sure if its fair to rank him since he mostly plays only on pitches that Aussies think will benefit from two spinners, but I'll do it anyway.
I appreciate the effort. :)