• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

question on bradman

PrincePeiterson

Cricket Spectator
archie mac said:
He was once asked by Doug Walters, if he thought he would still average 99.94 in the modern game (70s). Bradman said he didn't think he would, but that he believed he would still average more then anyone else. (said according to Walters with no sign of boasting)

I remember something similar to that. The reporter asked what did Bradman think his average would be in the modern (1970s) game and Bradman replied that he think he would average about 70. The reporter then asked was it because the standard of cricket was that much better than when he played but Bradman replied "no its because im 70 years old!"

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
For the sake of this thread, I really don't think he could've done that much better than the best batsmen of 60-80's did against the West Indies bowlers. I'd say its safe to say his average would be between 65-70. His average also might have suffered a bit at the advent of reverse swing, though I'm sure he would eventually dominate reversing yorkers and 90 mph bouncers.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
PrincePeiterson said:
I remember something similar to that. The reporter asked what did Bradman think his average would be in the modern (1970s) game and Bradman replied that he think he would average about 70. The reporter then asked was it because the standard of cricket was that much better than when he played but Bradman replied "no its because im 70 years old!"

tendulkar and shane warne asked him the same question and his reply was the same
tendulkar was amazed at how sharp his sense of humour was at such an age

but i dont think thats the case

hes probably been asked that question for ages, and hes given the same reply over and over

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Bradman used to say that a certain Stan McCabe was just as talented (if not more so) than he was, he just didn't have the concentration, desire and application that he did. Hearing the other things that Bradman said he didn't seem the sort to meaningless flattery either.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I know of one comment he made when asked how he managed to average so much more than anyone else which is on the surface not very helpful, but upon consideration probably tells a lot about the mindset he brought to the game: he said that he could never understand how the others could, after getting themselves set, let themselves get out.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Matt79 said:
I know of one comment he made when asked how he managed to average so much more than anyone else which is on the surface not very helpful, but upon consideration probably tells a lot about the mindset he brought to the game: he said that he could never understand how the others could, after getting themselves set, let themselves get out.

his strike rate suggest he was pretty aggresive though, and usually the more aggresive u are, the more chance of u getting out

but i think bradman reversed that claim

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To put Bradman into context with other sports, in order to be as good as the Don, Pele would've needed to average 3.8 goals per game and Michael Jordan would've needed to average 43 points per game.

The stats are taken from a book on Bradman. Pretty amazing.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think probably the greatest achievement in sports has been the 50.4 ppg / 25.7 rpg season by Wilt Chamberlein. And the thing is that Bradman maintained almost that level for 20 years! Amazing.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Scmods said:
To put Bradman into context with other sports, in order to be as good as the Don, Pele would've needed to average 3.8 goals per game and Michael Jordan would've needed to average 43 points per game.

The stats are taken from a book on Bradman. Pretty amazing.
michael jordan, or for taht fact anyone with the frame of 6'6 averaging 43 points per game is impossible

humanly impossible

bradman cant be that good, i refuse to believe it

mohammad16

U19 Captain
silentstriker said:
I think probably the greatest achievement in sports has been the 50.4 ppg / 25.7 rpg season by Wilt Chamberlein. And the thing is that Bradman maintained almost that level for 20 years! Amazing.
yea he scored 100 in a game too, but the guy wsa a 7 footer plus he coudlnt have averaged that in the modern game noway

shaqs nearly as good of a player as chamberline was

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Big Wilt was overrated. They had no shot clock back then ffs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You realize they changed the rules of baskestball just so he wouldn't dominate as much.

It's like cricket making all pitches into sticky wickets so Bradman wouldn't average so high.

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
michael jordan, or for taht fact anyone with the frame of 6'6 averaging 43 points per game is impossible

humanly impossible

bradman cant be that good, i refuse to believe it
But that doesn't mean he isn't

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
You realize they changed the rules of baskestball just so he wouldn't dominate as much.

It's like cricket making all pitches into sticky wickets so Bradman wouldn't average so high.
Or bouncey so the Indians cant score runs.