• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Steve Bucknor be allowed to umpire?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bucknor has been excellent this series, making several very close and correct calls that looked wrong initially but were with replays, hawkeye or the hotspot gizmo proven to be absolutely correct. I'd say that at the moment he's one of the best umpires going around.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
My respect for Bucknor has grown so much this series compared to when India toured three years ago. I thought Bowden was a bit reluctant to give LBW's in the first test. Bucknor was absolutely spot on. There's been a few instances this series that what looked like edges to pretty much everyone he didn't give. The replays then suggested that he was correct.

I'd rate him as the best umpire in world cricket at the present time (although of course I haven't seen Taufel umpire in a test for about five years).

R_D

International Debutant
Umpiring has been great in this series so far. Bucknor's been Excellent except for that one decision against Strauss... i can't help but think if it was any other umpire.. he would've weilded against the constant pressure put up by the aussie team. He didn't make any rash decisions. I've always thought of Bucknor to be a good umpire with agenda against Sachin :ph34r:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
He's been in great form and made one mistake. The umpiring has been high quality for the first two tests. Perfect - no but it the potential to be much worse.

Don't whinge about one descision. Give credit to the Australians for playing so well. The English team have no one to blame except for themselves.

Dravid

International Captain
Nishant said:
He's a decent umpire in genearl! U cant just discard him for one bad test match! As SS said, its just part of cricket these days. Not one umpire is perfect!
I'm not saying discard him for 1 test match, but his whole career. He has had made more mistake than anyone I have ever seen. Most of them pretty obvious

And to SL, my memory tells me that the last match India played in the CT, vs Australia, he had a pretty bad game. Apart from that game I saw a few bad decisions through out the CT also.

Dravid said:
I'm not saying discard him for 1 test match, but his whole career. He has had made more mistake than anyone I have ever seen. Most of them pretty obvious.
Probably has something to do with the fact that he's officiated in about a million more tests than his current peers.

As for, "ever seen" There wasn't as much use of technology, if any to scrutinise decisions before these recent years, so umpires before Bucknor started really shouldn't be judged against him.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Are you having a laugh? Bucknor was great in the second test, one bad decision, Im sure you could do better, Mr Dravid

Craig

World Traveller
Watch England's 1st innings day 2 morning session - Brett Lee to KP, the ball just beat the outside edge and when I first saw it I thought 'OUT' and Bucknor said no and all of the evidence proved so.

A lesser experienced umpire at that level would have raised his finger and to be fair understandably so. If that makes him a poor umpire, then where is everybody else?