• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overated wicketkeepers

Matt79

Global Moderator
At the international level, not really, the quality ones are pretty much rated right, as are the average and worse ones.

Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
Dhoni, Akmal??
How are they overrated? Akmal is just out of form, that doesn't make him overrated. Dhoni was pretty good in Saf also.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
they are good keepers, akmal was really good with the gloves earlier on, but they still are overrated overall, not crazily overrated but overrated nonetheless

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
they are good keepers, akmal was really good with the gloves earlier on, but they still are overrated overall, not crazily overrated but overrated nonetheless
Are you talking about with the bat then? Cause Dhoni has been performing.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
not with the bat, but with the gloves they are inconsistent so kinda overrated, but akmal was said to be a much better keeper then dhoni, although dhoni has had good times with the gloves, so they are not taht far off each other
but i just think theres alot of fuss around dhoni so he is kinda overrated
and akmal was said to be the next great pakistani keeper, now they are even talking about replacements such as his brother

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
andmark said:
I actually thought Englands Chris Read.

Chris Read isn't overrated. In fact he's hardly rated at all, that's why his inadequate rival for the place in the team is chosen first.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Jones. He is not a test match lower middle order batsman.
The only person who can overate him is Duncan Fletcher, because he is the only one who actally rates him :laugh:

Apart from Geraintismyhero of course :sleep:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Anyone remember James Foster?
Better bet than Read or Jones IMO. Seen him in county cricket and he looks a more mature player than when he played before - and besides, he didn't do that badly then. First man ever to stump Tendulkar in a Test.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
Chris Read isn't overrated. In fact he's hardly rated at all
Which is why roughly 95% of England fans want him to play ahead of Jones?

C_C

International Captain
Boucher.

His batting is okay for a keeper but his keeping i find is seriously overrated. He is often potrayed as the 'wonderkid' of keeping but while he keeps to pacemen mostly pretty competently ( despite his occasional clangers), his keeping against spinners is flipping hillarious and utterly incompetent.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Which is why roughly 95% of England fans want him to play ahead of Jones?

You conveniently left out half of my post. The point of my full post was that he clearly isn't rated by those selecting the team as the less than convincing Jones gets in ahead of him.

shortpitched713

International Captain
C_C said:
Boucher.

His batting is okay for a keeper but his keeping i find is seriously overrated. He is often potrayed as the 'wonderkid' of keeping but while he keeps to pacemen mostly pretty competently ( despite his occasional clangers), his keeping against spinners is flipping hillarious and utterly incompetent.
Tbf, how often does he keep to any spinners of decent quality? 8-)