• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overated wicketkeepers

mohammad16

U19 Captain
shortpitched713 said:
They need to be shot.
rameez raja talked about it during the last test match, that before kamran akmal actually made it to the team, they were more interested in his brother, cuz they tohught he was a better keeper, they took akmal in because he was a good batsmen, and it turned out an excellent keeping prospect too

mohammad16

U19 Captain
C_C said:
Boucher.

His batting is okay for a keeper but his keeping i find is seriously overrated. He is often potrayed as the 'wonderkid' of keeping but while he keeps to pacemen mostly pretty competently ( despite his occasional clangers), his keeping against spinners is flipping hillarious and utterly incompetent.
hes the most anoyying player in the world, hes played soo many matches for s africa and he isnt even half a decent batsmen
choosing him over sangakara for world xi series was like woahahahah

R_D

International Debutant
mohammad16 said:
hes the most anoyying player in the world, hes played soo many matches for s africa and he isnt even half a decent batsmen
choosing him over sangakara for world xi series was like woahahahah
That was a bit of a farce but so was leaving Inzi out of the team and picking Sachin... when Sachin hadn't done much besides being injured for most of the season.
Boucher is a decent batsman, he's very under-rated imho.

R_D

International Debutant
mohammad16 said:
they are good keepers, akmal was really good with the gloves earlier on, but they still are overrated overall, not crazily overrated but overrated nonetheless
Dhoni's batting has been over-rated to some extent but alot of people don't really rate his keeping that highly anyway where's Kamal is highly rated but been going through bit of a rough patch lately.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
First man ever to stump Tendulkar in a Test.
He'll be telling his grandkids about that.

R_D said:
Boucher is a decent batsman, he's very under-rated imho.
I agree, I think Boucher is quite good at both batting and wicket keeping without being extraordinary.

Dravid

International Captain
R_D said:
Dhoni's batting has been over-rated to some extent but alot of people don't really rate his keeping that highly anyway where's Kamal is highly rated but been going through bit of a rough patch lately.
How has his batting overrated? He's scoring runs right?

R_D

International Debutant
Dravid said:
How has his batting overrated? He's scoring runs right?
Yeah he's had few good innings lately but he certainly isn't as good as he was hyped upto be by the media and fans.

Dravid

International Captain
R_D said:
Yeah he's had few good innings lately but he certainly isn't as good as he was hyped upto be by the media and fans.
So you are saying he's overrated by the Indian media and the fans that follow him. I seriously hope you know the media is full of nothing but idiots, and the fans who follow the media are also idiots. It would not be right to call someone overrated because of the hype the media creates.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Akmal. Guy averages like 20 or something ridiculous.
30 in tests and 26 in one dayers, not too bad for a 25 year old.

I'd say Denesh Ramdin batting wise, and I'd say the most underrated is Brad Haddin, who would make most international teams (bar the ones with Gilly and Sangakkara).

haroon510

International 12th Man
Danish Ramadin

Akmal is better in both bat and wicket keeping than Dhoni. Dhoni is just like Afridi. no consistancy and plays unnaccessary shots that makes him out.

i say the best Wicket keeper in the pakistani team ever was Rashid latif then moin khan and then akmal. some one said akmal is second best wicket keeper in pakistan team. he can't be as good as moin khan was.

adharcric

International Coach
Dhoni is vastly superior to Afridi. That's saying a lot because Dhoni's still an irresponsible batsman sometimes.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the most misunderstood (and misused) ideas is that of a wicketkeeper-batsman. Initially, we had seen Romesh open the innings for Sri Lanka, but he was merely a pinch-hitter and not a genuine opening batsman, and his wicketkeeping was top stuff.

But what really set the trend was the entry of Adam Gilchrist. Not only was he a superior wicketkeeper, his blistering (and often successful) batting changed the course of many a match. Gilchrist was a key component of one of the most successful teams of all time, the Australian team of that time and today. While we all remember him for his batting, he was also very reliable and very productive behind the stumps. Fans of every team wished they had him in their teams.

That set off a very negative trend, as all teams tried to find their own answer to Adam Gilchrist. Wicketkeepers were promoted to open at nearly all levels of the game in each country, while batsmen were asked to keep wickets. Alec Stewart and Kumar Sangakkara are well-known examples, but they've been doing it for years. An experiment that failed was that of having Rahul Dravid behind the stumps in the Indian side, only in ODI's. We've seen several genuine wicketkeepers lose their places because of this wild goose chase done by every national team's selection committee. Not surprisingly, we've also seen a large number of 270+ totals, and even more than a few over 300 these days.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prasana Jayawardene the guy can't bat and nothing special behind the stumps. Worse keeper in International Cricket, by a fair decent. Could be the worse keeper-batsmen in the history of Test Cricket. Did i mention he can't bat. :@

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
That set off a very negative trend, as all teams tried to find their own answer to Adam Gilchrist. Wicketkeepers were promoted to open at nearly all levels of the game in each country, while batsmen were asked to keep wickets. Alec Stewart and Kumar Sangakkara are well-known examples, but they've been doing it for years. An experiment that failed was that of having Rahul Dravid behind the stumps in the Indian side, only in ODI's. We've seen several genuine wicketkeepers lose their places because of this wild goose chase done by every national team's selection committee. Not surprisingly, we've also seen a large number of 270+ totals, and even more than a few over 300 these days.
TBF if a keeper can't average over 20 with the bat they should get dropped i.e Prasana Jayawardene. I rather a keeper that drops the odd catch over some ****** that can't hold a bat and will never ever score a Test hundred, let alone a Test 50, in Prasana Jayawardene case.