Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponting to 3rd Highest in History

Ponting to 3rd Highest in History

With the ICC world ratings updated at the end of the 2nd Ashes Test, Ricky Ponting has not only stayed at no.1 but has now pushed his rating to 942 - equal with Jack Hobbs as the third highest peak rating any batsman has ever achieved.

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/test/ba...me-ranking.php

It's interesting also to Yousuf and Hayden in the top 10, remembering that these ratings aren't an average over a full career, but rather the highest score the batsman ever achieved at the peak of his form.

Given that these ratings are designed to take into account the quality of the opposition, pitch, influence of the performance etc. how much weight do people attach to this score - do you think that Ricky Ponting is batting at (or even close to) a level exceeded by only two players in Test history?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I find it difficult to believe that Ponting is in the 3rd beest form of all time, nevertheless, he is a great, no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Great batsman. Dead set tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Great batsman. Dead set tool.
    Never misses an opportunity to say it, this one. I'd go as far as to say you're obsessed.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean
    Given that these ratings are designed to take into account the quality of the opposition, pitch, influence of the performance etc. how much weight do people attach to this score - do you think that Ricky Ponting is batting at (or even close to) a level exceeded by only two players in Test history?
    I don't think you can take them that literally in all cases, but you can't argue too much with the assessment of Ponting. I do think the ratings are a good form guide, but you can't say that just because someone has the third highest rating that they are in the third greatest run of form in history. It's simply not that exact.

Having said that, Ponting's form in the last 4 or so years has rarely been matched by any player. He is averaging comfortably in excess of 70 over more than 50 test matches, and his overall test average of 59.99 is remarkable, and has risen more than 10 runs in the last few years. Add to that general patch of brilliance the fact that his form in recent times has been even better - with 10 centuries in 13 tests and 1250 odd runs in 8 matches this year, and you're looking at a run of form that very few people can touch.

There's various arguments one could make about the bowlers he has faced and the nature of wickets at the present time, but based simply on the weight of runs he has produced in recent years he's as prolific as anyone you could care to name aside from Bradman over such a time frame.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Never misses an opportunity to say it, this one. I'd go as far as to say you're obsessed.
    I'm just looking for a target for my abuse other than the England team for a change. I'll shut up about him now.

U19 Captain
    ratings are pretty much useless

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16
    Well, since you put it THAT way...

Cricket Spectator
    Pointing in my opinion is the greatest player of this era. He has been so consistent, even with added burden of captaincy. Awesome player to watch.

Lara and Tendulkar have scored more runs than him but Pointing has always showed up in games that matter the most. Take this second test for an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries007
    Pointing in my opinion is the greatest player of this era. He has been so consistent, even with added burden of captaincy. Awesome player to watch.

Lara and Tendulkar have scored more runs than him but Pointing has always showed up in games that matter the most. Take this second test for an example.
    And Lara and Tendulkar haven't?

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries007

best right now, but nowhere close to being the best of this era if u count even the last 10 years, tendulkar has been nothing short of phenomenal and lara has played some unreal innings too
    the innings that really stands out for me is one of the knocks ponting played in last years ashes under tough conditions

other then that if u want to refer to his world cup innings, that was a belter of a track, and it was againts a very sub par bowling attack

ponting is one of the top 3 batsmen of this era, not above tendulkar or lara, CERTAINLY not above tendulkar if u are basing ur analysis on so called tough under pressure innings

I'm a massive Tendulkar fan and always have been, but to be honest one of the few criticisms that can be levelled at him, and has been even by some Indian fans, is that he hasn't "stepped up" in a real backs-to-the-wall situation as often as a player of his greatness should have, and you could argue that he still hasn't played that career defining epic we'd all like to see from him. In fact, when it comes down to the real match-winning/saving situations, Dravid has been India's go-to man.
    Last edited by The Sean; 05-12-2006 at 11:14 AM.

And on that note, I'm out of town on work for the next few days - so I'll chat to you all again on the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean
    I'm a massive Tendulkar fan and always have been, but to be honest one of the few criticisms that can be levelled at him, and has been even by some Indian fans, is that he hasn't "stepped up" in a real backs-to-the-wall situation as often as a player of his greatness should have, and you could argue that he still hasn't played that real, career defining epic we'd all like to see from him. In fact, when it comes down to the real match-winning/saving situations, Dravid has been India's go-to man.
    Kumble has won more matches than anyone for India btw.

But I seriously don't get how people blame Tendulkar for a team defeat. I mean look at the number of times he has scored runs for India when they lost. If he's scoring runs, it can't be his fault you know.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information