• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to 3rd Highest in History

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
With the ICC world ratings updated at the end of the 2nd Ashes Test, Ricky Ponting has not only stayed at no.1 but has now pushed his rating to 942 - equal with Jack Hobbs as the third highest peak rating any batsman has ever achieved.

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/test/batting/all-time-ranking.php

It's interesting also to Yousuf and Hayden in the top 10, remembering that these ratings aren't an average over a full career, but rather the highest score the batsman ever achieved at the peak of his form.

Given that these ratings are designed to take into account the quality of the opposition, pitch, influence of the performance etc. how much weight do people attach to this score - do you think that Ricky Ponting is batting at (or even close to) a level exceeded by only two players in Test history?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I find it difficult to believe that Ponting is in the 3rd beest form of all time, nevertheless, he is a great, no doubt.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Sean said:
Given that these ratings are designed to take into account the quality of the opposition, pitch, influence of the performance etc. how much weight do people attach to this score - do you think that Ricky Ponting is batting at (or even close to) a level exceeded by only two players in Test history?
I don't think you can take them that literally in all cases, but you can't argue too much with the assessment of Ponting. I do think the ratings are a good form guide, but you can't say that just because someone has the third highest rating that they are in the third greatest run of form in history. It's simply not that exact.

Having said that, Ponting's form in the last 4 or so years has rarely been matched by any player. He is averaging comfortably in excess of 70 over more than 50 test matches, and his overall test average of 59.99 is remarkable, and has risen more than 10 runs in the last few years. Add to that general patch of brilliance the fact that his form in recent times has been even better - with 10 centuries in 13 tests and 1250 odd runs in 8 matches this year, and you're looking at a run of form that very few people can touch.

There's various arguments one could make about the bowlers he has faced and the nature of wickets at the present time, but based simply on the weight of runs he has produced in recent years he's as prolific as anyone you could care to name aside from Bradman over such a time frame.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
pasag said:
Never misses an opportunity to say it, this one. I'd go as far as to say you're obsessed.
:laugh: I'm just looking for a target for my abuse other than the England team for a change. I'll shut up about him now. :)

Aries007

Cricket Spectator
Pointing in my opinion is the greatest player of this era. He has been so consistent, even with added burden of captaincy. Awesome player to watch.

Lara and Tendulkar have scored more runs than him but Pointing has always showed up in games that matter the most. Take this second test for an example.

Dravid

International Captain
Aries007 said:
Pointing in my opinion is the greatest player of this era. He has been so consistent, even with added burden of captaincy. Awesome player to watch.

Lara and Tendulkar have scored more runs than him but Pointing has always showed up in games that matter the most. Take this second test for an example.
And Lara and Tendulkar haven't?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Aries007 said:

best right now, but nowhere close to being the best of this era if u count even the last 10 years, tendulkar has been nothing short of phenomenal and lara has played some unreal innings too
the innings that really stands out for me is one of the knocks ponting played in last years ashes under tough conditions

other then that if u want to refer to his world cup innings, that was a belter of a track, and it was againts a very sub par bowling attack

ponting is one of the top 3 batsmen of this era, not above tendulkar or lara, CERTAINLY not above tendulkar if u are basing ur analysis on so called tough under pressure innings

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a massive Tendulkar fan and always have been, but to be honest one of the few criticisms that can be levelled at him, and has been even by some Indian fans, is that he hasn't "stepped up" in a real backs-to-the-wall situation as often as a player of his greatness should have, and you could argue that he still hasn't played that career defining epic we'd all like to see from him. In fact, when it comes down to the real match-winning/saving situations, Dravid has been India's go-to man.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
And on that note, I'm out of town on work for the next few days - so I'll chat to you all again on the weekend!

Dravid

International Captain
The Sean said:
I'm a massive Tendulkar fan and always have been, but to be honest one of the few criticisms that can be levelled at him, and has been even by some Indian fans, is that he hasn't "stepped up" in a real backs-to-the-wall situation as often as a player of his greatness should have, and you could argue that he still hasn't played that real, career defining epic we'd all like to see from him. In fact, when it comes down to the real match-winning/saving situations, Dravid has been India's go-to man.
Kumble has won more matches than anyone for India btw.

But I seriously don't get how people blame Tendulkar for a team defeat. I mean look at the number of times he has scored runs for India when they lost. If he's scoring runs, it can't be his fault you know.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
The Sean said:
I'm a massive Tendulkar fan and always have been, but to be honest one of the few criticisms that can be levelled at him, and has been even by some Indian fans, is that he hasn't "stepped up" in a real backs-to-the-wall situation as often as a player of his greatness should have, and you could argue that he still hasn't played that career defining epic we'd all like to see from him. In fact, when it comes down to the real match-winning/saving situations, Dravid has been India's go-to man.
pakistan vs india world cup 2003??? sure that was a batting beauty but the pressure was enourmous and he stood way above all other batsmen in that match

pakistan vs india that test match 1999 in chennai i think, one of the greatest innings ever againts a deadly akram who totally bamboozeld dravid with one of the best ball sequences ever seen
india nearly won that game, but everyone will remember it for tendulkars genius

i think these 2 are probably his best knocks

Dravid

International Captain
One of my favorite inning from Tendulkar has to be the Coca Cola Cup match to qualify for the final in 98. India were playing Australia and Sachin got a beautiful 100 to help India qualify.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
The problem with Tendy in the 90's was he scored runs when no one else was able to. If his prime was post 2001, you'd have seen a much different stereotype of him.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Aries007 said:

They all have different strengths and weaknesses but there is no doubt that Ponting has proven to be more reliable and dangerous out of the three in pressure situations. No matter the situation, early wickets ect, he just strolls to the middle and attacks with no obvious fear and 8 times out ten he takes the game away from the opposition. He is bad ass with great mental strength.
One advantage he does have though, is not having to bat against the best attack in the world.