• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS:::: SHOIAB and ASIF ban Lifted!!!!!!

qaisar

Cricket Spectator
Ibrahim said the committee found it was "clearly, plainly evident that Shoaib Akhtar nor Mohammad Asif were ever warned or cautioned against taking supplements." Neither player was "even provided with any international or local publication warning them against the use supplements," the committee was quoted by AFP. It was the committee's "considered view that Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif have successfully established that they had an honest and reasonable belief that the supplements ingested by them did not contain any prohibited substances".

:)

Great news..

Bouncer

State Regular
Just gathared from Asif interview live on Geo Tv

According to asif, crucial points were made byLawyer from eng, was the one who pointed fingers at the way first test was conducted, according to him it was not done in right was, which were most important for the case

he is fit to play WIndies ODI's

he might have to take another test before he comes back

Bouncer

State Regular
qaisar said:
Ibrahim said the committee found it was "clearly, plainly evident that Shoaib Akhtar nor Mohammad Asif were ever warned or cautioned against taking supplements." Neither player was "even provided with any international or local publication warning them against the use supplements," the committee was quoted by AFP. It was the committee's "considered view that Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif have successfully established that they had an honest and reasonable belief that the supplements ingested by them did not contain any prohibited substances".

:)

Great news..

Qaisar, Do u go by Kool Kashif on another forum?

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
well maybe im being too lenient but i think, the punishment is harsh even if its 3 months or 2 years

ur labelled a cheat for life, i mean imagine how the public would deal with u for the rest of ur life, its alot for someithing they possibly didnt even take

Okay then let every one who commits a crime free.

haroon510

International 12th Man
what wow lol this is just surprising. Am I dreaming or something? i just think the whole issue was fixed or something. i just can't wait to read the report of judge if they will post the report. i am a big pakistani cricket team ( only cricket team) fan and iam not happy with this. i love to see pakistan wining and these guys in the team but if these players get away with this without any consiquancess every player would start using drugs. it isn't good for cricket at all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully there is better justification than them saying they didnt know what they were taking and/or were unaware that it was a banned substance

If that is the rationale behind this decision, then Pakistan cricket is officially in the toilet

Son Of Coco

Wow...if this is true then I guess that makes Pakistan one of the 'Pots and Kettles' capitals of the world.

Bouncer

State Regular
Icc's First response (taken from cricinfo)

The ICC had applauded that decision, saying that it was an appropriate deterrent where the threat of drugs to cricket was concerned. "It is a good judgement, well written, very professionally done and they have made constant reference to the guidelines laid down in the PCB's anti-doping code,"Percy Sonn, the ICC president had said.

I am sure ICC will have more to say on this issue on next few hours.
Malcolm Speed has to stand against this decision otherwise he will be thought of someone who bowed infront of asian countries, i am sure he doesn not want that specially after what happened in Hair Saga!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Going from reports, it seems like a few points were used to argue for overturning the ban.
-the nature of the test itself
-the difficulty in pronouncing that high levels of nandrolone in itself could prove the usage of drugs (there have been similar cases that have been overturned - one of the articles on Cricinfo gave the example of Greg Rusedski)
-the fact that both were unaware of what they were doing (the flimsiest excuse IMO)

Overall though, it seems like it's technically a correct decision to overturn the bans. Whether they'll be tested again under proper procedures and whether they'll be punished at all remains to be seen.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know enough to comment on the decision, but since I love watching both of these guys bowl I'm happy to have them back.

Matt79

Global Moderator
What a joke. People here and Dick Pound give Australia crap for only banning Warne for one year, but at least we didn't accept stupidity as a complete excuse.

PCB = no credibility

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Perm said:
The Pakistan Cricket Board are "corrupt" for want of a better word, saw it coming though because there was no way they would've deprived Pakistan of their two best bowlers.
How is PCB being labelled as corrupt, i mean on what basis?? Has the ban be overruled by PCB boss ?

The fact is that PCB only appointed a tribunel for the hearing that overruled the ban, and it is the decision of the three member commitee to lift the ban on the players.

I will wait to learn on what grounds the judge has lifted the ban .I thought most ppl appreciated the original ban because they wanted the players to get punished even though the basis on which Akhtar was banned (Akhtar leading a wild life) was completely rediculous.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Matt79 said:
PCB = no credibility
True, for not carrying out the doping test professionally,for not informing the players (Asif in particular NEVER had any briefing about drugs) about banned drugs.However as far as ban is concerned, it was placed by PCB and so far it has not been lifted.Its an independent tribunel decision (which has nothing to do with PCB) to lift the ban.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like Asif
I like Akhtar
I like Pakistani cricket
Don't like cheating though, surely reducing the ban would have been the better way to go?

Johnners

Jono said:
I like Asif
I like Akhtar
I like Pakistani cricket
Don't like cheating though, surely reducing the ban would have been the better way to go?
My thoughts exactly....

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Asif was completely innocent and the ppl who wanted him to be banned were a total disgrace, because you simply cannot ban a player who has never in his life ever been briefed about banned drugs.

I have my suspicion on Akhtar, and i thought maybe Pak cricket would be better off without him.Can't say much unless the grounds on which he has been cleared is revealed.