• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW awards for the first week of Dec

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Btw while we are on this topic I might as well mention I hate the English accent. No offence to anyone here, but I hate how the word can't is said. It's the most annoying thing ever.
"the English accent"? There's many. And they're all so different. Well, apart from the southern ones. They all sound the same tbh.

Dravid

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Is this in a particular regional accent, of just the flat english way of saying it, because when you say it normaly, it doesn't sound remarkable.
I guess the normal way of saying it in England. The way it's said in US is much more easy on my brain.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dravid said:
Btw while we are on this topic I might as well mention I hate the English accent. No offence to anyone here, but I hate how the word can't is said. It's the most annoying thing ever.
You mean English people don't say it like "Ceeeeaannttt"

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
I'm not sure whether everyone says this, but I don't actually think that English people have an accent at all. Most people pronounce things like it says in the Oxford dictionary (which is the offically correct way of saying it), and doesn't have an accent at all. Except maybe if you have a specific regional accent, then it sounds fairly flat and normal, and correct to the dictionary.
Haha. What are you on about? There's no connection between pronouncing things as they "should be pronounced" and having an accent. An accent is simply a way of speaking that is characteristic to a particular area or group of people. In other words, anyone who can be identified by their way of speaking as being from a particular area can be described as "having an accent". Obviously some people have a fairly non-regional way of speaking, but by definition you can't have an entire region which has "no accent".

Anyway, English people have more clearly identifiable regional accents than most English-speaking places. Australians for instance have a relatively small range of accents. You can have a reasonable guess that, say, Ian Healy is from Queensland, but most people in Australia have fairly uniform accents. Even someone who isn't English like myself can tell someone from Lancashire from a Londoner or whatever.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Theres no such thing as an "English Accent" - Just like there is no such thing as a South African, or American accent, or Baby Jesus...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Theres no such thing as an "English Accent" - Just like there is no such thing as a South African, or American accent, or Baby Jesus...
:dry: Unless I'm missing something, that's just not true.

archie mac

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
A Freudian slip perhaps? :ph34r:

:laugh:
This is how people pickup nicknames: silentstriker=little glitch (I wonder if it will take off)

Just on English, I much rather listen to the poms butcher the english language then the yanks, I always feel they are yelling at me, very aggressive, maybe that is why they shoot so many people.

What I don't like is how the English have lost th, so words become fink=think and fought=thought and free=three

archie mac

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Errr, I don't get it?

In a reply to you, instead of writing 'a little glitch' I wrote 'little glitch' which made it seem I was calling YOU Little Glitch

Get it? :wacko:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
archie mac said:
In a reply to you, instead of writing 'a little glitch' I wrote 'little glitch' which made it seem I was calling YOU Little Glitch

Get it? :wacko:
Err, no. You're the first one to say anything about glitches? Are you high? :unsure:

adharcric

International Coach
archie mac said:
I have not heard from Marc (said he had a good Skull) or adharcric, so I will do the awards tonight:)
Actually, I sent you an email already. Will do it again.