• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slower Ball

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who was the best exponent of it???

I think Courtney Walsh had his spot on, and hell it was devastating (ask Graham Thorpe :laugh: )

cpr

International Coach
Who was it that caught Chris Reed out ducking a slower ball, got a feeling it was Cairns?? Cant argue with that for disguising the slower one :)

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
cpr said:
Who was it that caught Chris Reed out ducking a slower ball, got a feeling it was Cairns?? Cant argue with that for disguising the slower one :)
that was a top one aswell :happy:

bet both of these will be on youtube somewhere :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I remember when Craig McDermott first started using the "split finger" style slower ball, and was bowling them as full-tosses. The batsman used to get scared, thinking it was a beamer, before the ball just dipped and hit him on the pads on the full, directly in front. Worked a couple of times.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a West Indian bowler during the 80's I think it was who played a lot of County Cricket in England and really perfected the slower ball. Can't remember his name now.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Josh said:
Harvey's out the back of the hand ball was a pearler.
Agreed.

Shoaib`s slower-balls are the best I`ve ever seen. When England toured Pakistan... he was amazing.

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
Perm said:
There was a West Indian bowler during the 80's I think it was who played a lot of County Cricket in England and really perfected the slower ball. Can't remember his name now.
Franklyn Stephenson?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that might be the one, from what I've read he had the best slower ball in the game.

shankar

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
Shoaib`s slower-balls are the best I`ve ever seen. When England toured Pakistan... he was amazing.
I really don't understand why England were so clueless against them. It looked a bit obvious (I think some posters mentioned it on here as well). In fact in the next series vs India, I don't remember even one occasion where he fooled the batsmen with it let alone get a wicket.

shankar

International Debutant
nightprowler10 said:
I don't remember Shoaib using too many slower balls against India, or maybe my memory's a bit dodgy.
I do remember him using them. But considering how flat the pitches for the first two tests were and how few wickets fell, you'd think he'd have used them a fair bit.