• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Spinner ever

Who is the best Spinner ever?

• Shane Warne

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Other (are you crazy, better than these 2?)

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adharcric

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
I pity a fool, and laugh at his ignorance.
Seriously though, everytime someone brings up his unimpressive test record (after plenty of opportunities) you don't really respond to the criticism.
Do you have a valid argument as to why you rate Rhodes so highly or what?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tomm NCCC said:
Nope, Im laughing because no-one else has mentioned him.

Ha.

When was the last time Warney or Muttiah took 19 in a game?
When was the last time Warney or Muttiah faced a team that barely knew what type of bowling they faced on a pitch custom made from that type of pitch?

I've seen the videos, they were literally falling all over themselves. Laker bowled brilliantly, but please.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Some of those backfoot shots just make me LOL. I wish they played spinners like that now - India would never lose a test match.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
adharcric said:
Seriously though, everytime someone brings up his unimpressive test record (after plenty of opportunities) you don't really respond to the criticism.
Yes, I do do that an awful lot, partly through my outrage, and partly through my laziness.

It basically comes fromt the fact that I don't believe an impressive test record is paramount to greatness. In my opinion if you take 4000 @ 16, then you should be classed as great, because it defies so much head in my case. I can admit that his test record very average at the most, but I don't think that you need to have a good test record to be considered great, but that's just my opinion.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Yes, I do do that an awful lot, partly through my outrage, and partly through my laziness.

It basically comes fromt the fact that I don't believe an impressive test record is paramount to greatness. In my opinion if you take 4000 @ 16, then you should be classed as great, because it defies so much head in my case. I can admit that his test record very average at the most, but I don't think that you need to have a good test record to be considered great, but that's just my opinion.
Being a great is a whole lot different from being the best of all time. Or even close to it.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I have mentioned a countless number of times that he has this unique charm for me, and that it doesn't really follow logic, just a feeling of mine. It's a shame very few (if any) people agree with me, but that's just me. I don't expect many people to agree with me either.

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
silentstriker said:
When was the last time Warney or Muttiah faced a team that barely knew what type of bowling they faced on a pitch custom made from that type of pitch?

I've seen the videos, they were literally falling all over themselves.
The England team for the past 10 years have been like that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

a massive zebra

International Captain
adharcric said:
To be fair he hardly played any Test cricket between 1898 and 1902 during which time he must have been one of the best bowlers ever, most of his Tests were played in a later period when his bowling had lost some of its zip.

a massive zebra

International Captain
After 13 Tests he had 66 wickets at 17.65, and effectively won back the Ashes down under in 1903/04 with 31 wickets at 15.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Alright, I'll consider him in the Ranking the Bowlers thread then ... even though nobody will consider the equally deserving Vijay Merchant.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Rhodes is anywhere near the best spinner, then Merchant is the best opener. He has a good Test record on top of an amazing FC record.

In actuality, neither is true.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
adharcric said:
Alright, I'll consider him in the Ranking the Bowlers thread then ... even though nobody will consider the equally deserving Vijay Merchant.
There is a small difference between getting 4000 FC wickets and averagin 70 odd.

adharcric

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
There is a small difference between getting 4000 FC wickets and averagin 70 odd.
Actually there's nothing special about getting that many first-class wickets. Rhodes scored 40,000 first-class runs at 30. He clearly wasn't special with the bat as the average suggests, but the aggregate run statistic would indicate that he is, by your standards.

Merchant scored his runs @ 71. That's second only to Bradman himself.