View Poll Results: Who is the best Spinner ever?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shane Warne

    27 43.55%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

    25 40.32%
  • Other (are you crazy, better than these 2?)

    10 16.13%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 234

Thread: Best Spinner ever

  1. #16
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Those of you who said Murali, I want to know why.
    I agree, and extend that to anyone that didn't vote Dave Mohammed.

  2. #17
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    I agree, and extend that to anyone that didn't vote Dave Mohammed.
    I just explained why in the post above, even though I said Warne.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #18
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,215
    I think I've said it before, but I go for the drug-cheat over the chucker.

    TBF though its a legitimate thread, though one that will descend into anarchy soon. Personally I think the murali-warne thread should of remained stickied and locked, if the wish was for it not to recur.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  4. #19
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Murali outperforms Warne in virtually every measurable category. There is no way an unbiased person could claim that Warne is better than Murali, except if they prefer one over the other. Murali has a better economy rate, a better average, a better strike rate, more wickets per test, more five fors and more ten fors (even while playing less tests). For example, Murali has played like 35 less tests than Warne, yet still has about 20 more five-fors, and 8 more ten-fors.

    However, it all boils down to the action, as always.
    SS what do you think about Bhajji and Kumble?


  5. #20
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    SS what do you think about Bhajji and Kumble?
    They are spinners that play for India.

  6. #21
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    He asked for what you think about them, not what you know about them.

  7. #22
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Those of you who said Murali, I want to know why.
    When Wisden assembled exactly one hundred distinguished judges of the game for its 2000 edition and asked them to settle on five “Cricketers of the Century”, Shane Warne’s name was on that exalted list. In effect, the accolade named Warne as the greatest bowler of all time.

    Five years on and Warne stands as the all-time leading wicket-taker in Test matches. He has taken more wickets than Lillee and Thomson combined. Wisden in 2005 called him the leading cricketer in the world. Yet there are grave doubts. Warne is hardly a bowling, or even a spinning, equivalent to Sir Donald Bradman. A detailed look at the statistics can do nothing but lead one to believe that Warne's unparalleled reputation is based more on style and charisma than genuine bowling substance. If the figures are to be trusted, Muttiah Muralitharan leaves Warne for dead and is easily the greatest spinner of our times.

    1) Warne has failed dismally against the best players of spin – India (43 wickets at 47.18). Murali has done far better against them (67 wickets at 32.47).

    2) Murali has a better average, strike rate, economy rate, and takes more wickets per match than Warne; despite the fact that Warne has not had to play against the world's best team.

    Mat O R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
    Murali 107 5969.1 1554 14275 652 21.89 9-51 56 18 54.9 2.39
    Warne 141 6581.5 1724 17460 683 25.56 8-71 36 10 57.8 2.65


    3) Murali has a better record against all countries, except Pakistan who effectively fielded a youth team on Warne’s most successful tour there.

    4) Murali is far more consistent. Warne has been known to be hit around occasionally and although Murali has previously been nullified to a degree, he has very rarely been smashed around the park.

    Warne
    45 7 150 1 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1991/92 at Sydney
    22 2 107 0 4.86 1st Test v SL in SL 1992 at Colombo (SSC)
    30 2 104 3 3.47 3rd Test v Pak in Pak 1994/95 at Lahore
    30 7 122 1 4.07 1st Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Chennai
    42 4 147 0 3.50 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 1997/98 at Kolkata
    15.5 2 70 1 4.42 3rd Test v WI in WI 1998/99 at Bridgetown
    13 1 60 0 4.62 3rd Test v Ind in Aus 1999/00 at Sydney
    34 3 152 1 4.47 2nd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Kolkata
    42 7 140 2 3.33 3rd Test v Ind in Ind 2000/01 at Chennai
    30 6 108 2 3.60 3rd Test v SA in SA 2001/02 at Durban
    38 7 129 3 3.39 2nd Test v SL in Aus 2004 at Cairns
    32 4 115 2 3.59 1st Test v Ind in Ind 2004/2005 at Nagpur
    24 4 84 1 3.50 3rd Test v Pak in Aus 2004/05 at Sydney
    19.2 2 77 1 3.98 3rd Test v WI in Aus 2005/06 at Adelaide
    20 1 112 0 5.60 1st Test v BD in BD 2005/06 at Fatullah

    Murali
    36 6 123 1 3.42 1st Test v Pak in SL 1994 at Colombo
    20 2 83 2 4.15 2nd Test v Pak in Pak 1995/96 at Faisalabad
    54 3 224 2 4.15 1st Test v Aus in Aus 1995/96 at Perth
    33 6 136 0 4.12 1st Test v NZ in NZ 1996/97 at Dunedin
    25 2 96 2 3.84 2nd Test v Ind in SL 2001 at Kandy
    30 3 102 2 3.40 Only Test v Aus in Aus 2005/06 at Sydney
    36 4 128 3 3.56 3rd Test v Ind in Ind 2005/06 at Ahmedabad


    5) Warne is part of a stronger bowling attack. If Warne was of equal ability to Murali he would take less wickets per match than Murali (because Australia have four good bowlers competing for wickets), but would have a lower average and strike rate (because greater pressure is exerted upon the batsman by the higher class Australian bowlers at the other end). For an example of this take two great fast bowlers, Marshall and Hadlee. Marshall had a better average because the other outstanding West Indian bowlers maintained penetration, but Hadlee took more wickets per match because there was less competition for them. However, Murali takes more wickets per match and has a lower average and strike rate, which suggests strongly that he is a class above the Australian. Furthermore, when McGrath does not play, Warne averages a Kumblesque 28, and Murali has never had a bowler of anything like McGrath's quality to call upon.

    6) A high proportion of Warne's test wickets are numbers 10 and 11 in the batting order; Murali does well against all batting positions. Of Shane Warne’s 683 Test victims, 36.7% have occupied numbers 8-11 in the batting order (the highest proportion among all bowlers with over 300 Test wickets), while the comparative figure for Murali is just 30.7% - a significant difference of 19.5%. And we all know it is far more valuable to be able to defeat players of high ability, because they can really make you suffer. Tailenders will usually get out sooner rather than later anyway, and very rarely turn a match on its head. A bowler who can trouble the likes of Bradman or Tendulkar surely deserves far more credit than a colleague feasting on the easy pickings of Mbangwa and Aislabie.

    7) Although Warne has been less effective since his shoulder injury, even at his peak (1993-97) he was not as effective as Murali has been this century.

    Mat O M R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
    Murali 2000-2003 37 2347.3 684 4990 258 19.34 9-51 22 10 54.5 2.13
    Warne 1993-97 57 2876.5 938 6457 277 23.31 8-71 11 3 62.3 2.24

    8) You could take a look at their respective records in the English county championship (correct to the end of the 2005 season):

    Mat Balls M R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
    Murali 25 7695 391 2735 185 14.78 7-39 21 6 41.5 2.13
    Warne 51 11837 423 5583 226 24.70 7-99 13 0 52.3 2.82

    9) Murali on top form is more devastating than Warne on top form.

    Best innings:

    9/51 M Muralitharan v Zimbabwe at Kandy, 2nd Test, 2001/02
    9/65 M Muralitharan v England at The Oval, Only Test, 1998
    8/46 M Muralitharan v West Indies at Kandy, 2nd Test
    8/70 M Muralitharan v England at Trent Bridge, 3rd Test, 2006
    8/71 SK Warne v England at Brisbane, 1st Test, 1994/95
    8/87 M Muralitharan v India at Colombo (SSC), 3rd Test, 2001

    Best Series:

    Murali
    Sri Lanka in Pakistan, 1999/00 [Series]
    3 213.1 516 26 6/71 19.84 2.42 49.1 1 1
    South Africa in Sri Lanka, 2000 [Series]
    3 227.4 480 26 7/84 18.46 2.10 52.5 3 1
    Zimbabwe in Sri Lanka, 2001/02 [Series]
    3 203.1 294 30 9/51 9.80 1.44 40.6 2 1
    England in Sri Lanka, 2003/04 [Series]
    3 231.4 320 26 7/46 12.30 1.38 53.4 1 1
    Australia in Sri Lanka, 2003/04 [Series]
    3 209.1 649 28 6/59 23.17 3.10 44.8 4 1
    Sri Lanka in England, 2006 [Series]
    3 146.2 405 24 8/70 16.87 2.76 36.5 2 2
    Warne
    The Ashes (Aus/Eng) in England, 1993 [Series]
    6 439.5 877 34 5/82 25.79 1.99 77.6 1 0
    The Ashes (Aus/Eng) in Australia, 1994/95 [Series]
    5 256.1 549 27 8/71 20.33 2.14 56.9 2 1
    The Ashes (Aus/Eng) in England, 2001 [Series]
    5 195.2 580 31 7/165 18.70 2.96 37.8 3 1
    Australia v Pakistan Test Series in Sri Lanka/U.A.E., 2002/03 [Series]
    3 124 342 27 7/94 12.66 2.75 27.5 2 1
    Australia in Sri Lanka, 2003/04 [Series]
    3 168 521 26 5/43 20.03 3.10 38.7 4 2
    The Ashes (Aus/Eng) in England, 2005 [Series]
    5 252.5 797 40 6/46 12/246 19.92 3.15 37.9 3 2

    10) One reason why Warne is rated so highly is Gatting’s reaction to the so called “ball of the century.” The shock that that ball sent through the cricketing world was immense because it was thought no one else could bowl that delivery. Actually, Warne was not the only one to bowl such a delivery in recent years, Abdul Qadir had bowled the same delivery a few years earlier, it just wasn’t highlighted at the time because it wasn't on such a big stage. Murali bowled similar balls which were every bit as good to both Sadgapan Ramesh and Mark Butcher a few years ago.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 03-12-2006 at 03:02 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  8. #23
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    They are spinners that play for India.
    Yup, what Steds said, please explain further.

  9. #24
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    He asked for what you think about them, not what you know about them.
    I think that one uses his wrist to spin the ball, but uses more bounce and pace to get his wicket. While the other uses his fingers for the offspin and his elbow for the doosra.

    Kumble is one of the top three spinners to play for India. Harbhajan also plays for India.

  10. #25
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,802
    5) Warne is part of a stronger bowling attack. If Warne was of equal ability to Murali he would take less wickets per match than Murali (because Australia have four good bowlers competing for wickets), but would have a lower average and strike rate (because greater pressure is exerted upon the batsman by the higher class Australian bowlers at the other end). For an example of this take two great fast bowlers, Marshall and Hadlee. Marshall had a better average because the other outstanding West Indian bowlers maintained penetration, but Hadlee took more wickets per match because there was less competition for them. However, Murali takes more wickets per match and has a lower average and strike rate, which suggests strongly that he is a class above the Australian. Furthermore, when McGrath does not play, Warne averages a Kumblesque 28, and Murali has never had a bowler of anything like McGrath's quality to call upon.

    6) A high proportion of Warne's test wickets are numbers 10 and 11 in the batting order; Murali does well against all batting positions. Of Shane Warne’s 683 Test victims, 36.7% have occupied numbers 8-11 in the batting order (the highest proportion among all bowlers with over 300 Test wickets), while the comparative figure for Murali is just 30.7% - a significant difference of 19.5%. And we all know it is far more valuable to be able to defeat players of high ability, because they can really make you suffer.


    I think this should really clinch it for a lot of people IMO, assuming he doesn't chuck I think you do have to rate him, by far, the best spinner of all time.

    But unluckily for him, that assumption isn't always true.

  11. #26
    International 12th Man Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,595
    Yeah I have heard alot of people say that Murali's figures are only better than Warne's because of how the pitches r prepared in SL but i think the fact that Warne plays with a much better attack backing him up and the fact that he doesnt have to bowl to the best batting lineup in the world more than balances things out. Also some have said that Murali benefits from bowling to the lesser nations such as Zim and Bang. But having seen his performances against England (in England) and against RSa recently I am convinced that had he had more tests against these teams he still would have maintained his statistical supremacy over Warne.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

  12. #27
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I think that one uses his wrist to spin the ball, but uses more bounce and pace to get his wicket. While the other uses his fingers for the offspin and his elbow for the doosra.

    Kumble is one of the top three spinners to play for India. Harbhajan also plays for India.
    Speaking of bowlers, do you think Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth, and Pathan make a deadly pace attack?

  13. #28
    International Debutant andmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Taking 39 steps
    Posts
    2,807
    I have realised what about batting

  14. #29
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    I went for Warne. As an Aussie I may well be biased by national sentiment and the fact I've seen vastly more of Warne bowling, but he remains the greatest bowler I've seen and the one I'd pick if I had my choice of watching anyone in the world at the moment.

    Personally, and without at all wishing to be offensive to anyone, I do think that Murali delivers the ball with an illegal action. I know that it is not illegal according to the new laws, but I disagree with those laws. I don't consider Murali a cheat, because I accept that is the only way he can deliver the ball, and that he's not deliberately seeking an unfair advantage, but it does affect my view of him. Although I think people who go to matches he plays at and yell "no ball" at him are cretins...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  15. #30
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    No matter what people try and tell me I'll always rate Warne above Muralitharan because of the issues over the doosra and the number of wickets Muralitharan has picked up against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. I'll not try and justify my decision with numbers because in this case it is a preferential decision that I would like Warne more than Muralitharan.

    In saying all that, I was very disappointed with how negative Warne was yesterday when he came up against a batsman who can dominant him. Very disappointed indeed.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What Is A Good Test Average For A Spinner?
    By a massive zebra in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 20-01-2008, 11:05 AM
  2. Best Indian spinner ever? 85940384
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28-09-2006, 10:03 AM
  3. best spinner
    By andmark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-09-2006, 11:04 AM
  4. The Best Leg Spinner Ever-Subhash Gupte
    By DhonisOnslaught in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 28-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •