View Poll Results: Who is the best Spinner ever?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shane Warne

27 43.55%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

25 40.32%
  • Other (are you crazy, better than these 2?)

10 16.13%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Best Spinner ever

Of course, if CA had scheduled 50 extra matches against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, it wouldn't be Warne's fault that the matches scheduled for him were against those options.

You know what, you have a blind spot for anything anti-Warne regardless of how much merit it has. Not worth a debate. End of story.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic
    Haha coulda fooled me mate. I wonder why Murali is always whinging about the record then?
    You're unbelievable. Unless you're a complete dolt, it's quite obvious what point I (and others are making), yet you still choose to ignore it. adharcric is right, it's not worth debating with you.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Of course, if CA had scheduled 50 extra matches against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, it wouldn't be Warne's fault that the matches scheduled for him were against those options.

You know what, you have a blind spot for anything anti-Warne regardless of how much merit it has. Not worth a debate. End of story.
    Point is: you take those two out and the statistics will show that Warne and Murali are very even in some instances, in few instances Murali is better and in fewer instances Warne is better. But the difference in wickets will be quite large. So all those things being so close yet the wicket haul will favour Warne more heavily.

Let Murali play better opposition regularly, try and fix his action and then we'll talk about this. I said it before, but I'll say it again, Warne is a legend - the greatest ever.

Dude, Murali has 137 wickets from the two worst test sides in cricket. If that isn't going to bring him - or you - down to Earth I don't think anything will.
    Again, here are the comparative figures with Zim and Bang removed from Murali's stats.

----------------------------------------------------

Well, 20 of Murali's test matches have been played against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and his record against them is considerably better than his overall record.

Even so, Zimbabwe needs to be broken down into the pre Mugabe and post Mugabe phase - as in the pre Mugabe phase they did have a good test side with decent batsmen and bowlers and I would hardly classify them as minnows.

In any case, I nevertheless removed Murali's record against Zim and Bang.
    Here are his revised test career stats against all nations except the above.
    (not including current 1st test vs NZ)

88 Tests
    29985 balls
    12339 runs
    520 wickets (5.9 wkts/test)
    9/65 BBi
    16/220 BBm
    23.72 runs/wkt
    57.66 balls/wkt
    2.46 econ
    43 5wi
    13 10wm

These are Warne's total career figures.
    Note, he played only 1 test versus Zimbabwe and his record his not much better than his career record, he has also played 2 tests against Bangladesh for a poorer record against them compared to his overall record.
    Therefore Warne's figures against all test playing nations.
    Warne's complete career figures:
    (including 2nd Ashes test)

142 Test
    40025 balls
    17662 runs
    694 wickets (4.88 wkts/test)
    8/71 BBi
    12/128 BBm
    25.44 runs/wkt
    57.67 balls/wkt
    2.64 econ
    36 5wi
    10 10wm

Even removing the figures against Zim and Bang (though as I said Zim had a decent test side up until 2001 or thereabouts) Murali has better or equal figures in all departments.

-------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    You're unbelievable. Unless you're a complete dolt, it's quite obvious what point I (and others are making), yet you still choose to ignore it. adharcric is right, it's not worth debating with you.
    Whatever mate. You're stuck on the numbers and, even with the differences being so small, you think it fit to just blurt out what you pompously imply to be the only answer. Sport is never as clear cut as these little figures and cricket is not an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by JBH001
    Again, here are the comparative figures with Zim and Bang removed from Murali's stats.

----------------------------------------------------

Well, 20 of Murali's test matches have been played against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and his record against them is considerably better than his overall record.

Even so, Zimbabwe needs to be broken down into the pre Mugabe and post Mugabe phase - as in the pre Mugabe phase they did have a good test side with decent batsmen and bowlers and I would hardly classify them as minnows.

In any case, I nevertheless removed Murali's record against Zim and Bang.
    Here are his revised test career stats against all nations except the above.
    (not including current 1st test vs NZ)

88 Tests
    29985 balls
    12339 runs
    520 wickets (5.9 wkts/test)
    9/65 BBi
    16/220 BBm
    23.72 runs/wkt
    57.66 balls/wkt
    2.46 econ
    43 5wi
    13 10wm

These are Warne's total career figures.
    Note, he played only 1 test versus Zimbabwe and his record his not much better than his career record, he has also played 2 tests against Bangladesh for a poorer record against them compared to his overall record.
    Therefore Warne's figures against all test playing nations.
    Warne's complete career figures:
    (including 2nd Ashes test)

142 Test
    40025 balls
    17662 runs
    694 wickets (4.88 wkts/test)
    8/71 BBi
    12/128 BBm
    25.44 runs/wkt
    57.67 balls/wkt
    2.64 econ
    36 5wi
    10 10wm

Even removing the figures against Zim and Bang (though as I said Zim had a decent test side up until 2001 or thereabouts) Murali has better or equal figures in all departments.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, but how much? 1% differences? 0.5% differenecs? Then take a look at the wicket hauls. Tell me the differences then. Statistics are fine to imply a prediction - when he actually gets there let me know.

never mind - I am going on a road trip for 3 days.

So, it is time to consign another Warne vs Murali thread to the dustheap.
    Hope we do not have one more of these for a while...

Point is: you take those two out and the statistics will show that Warne and Murali are very even in some instances, in few instances Murali is better and in fewer instances Warne is better. But the difference in wickets will be quite large. So all those things being so close yet the wicket haul will favour Warne more heavily.

Let Murali play better opposition regularly, try and fix his action and then we'll talk about this. I said it before, but I'll say it again, Warne is a legend - the greatest ever.
    let kazholic come in with an unprejudiced mind, less of the blind warne love and then people will not walk away from arguments with him. true, you've said it before, you'll say it again and again and again....no one really cares you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    let kazholic come in with an unprejudiced mind, less of the blind warne love and then people will not walk away from arguments with him. true, you've said it before, you'll say it again and again and again....no one really cares you know.....
    It's fine, as I said before, we all have our preference and if you don't think others have a bias you're mistaken. I don't consider Murali's action acceptable, but I didn't say let's half the value of his wickets because of it, did I?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread Information