• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated Cricketers//Underrated Cricketers

mohammad16

U19 Captain
how is shoaib akhtar overrated? if u mean hes just the talk of the town and more famous then that doenst mean hes overrated

as an PERFORMER shoaib isnt overrated, most cricket fans do not consider him a great bowler of this generation
although alot of the players who have played againts him praise him alot in terms of performance

surely he is only overrated interms of his off the feild antics and personality

his performance is NOT over rated

mohammad16

U19 Captain
PS trescothick has got to be one of the most UNSTYLISH, ugliest to watch batsmen ever
from his ugly stance to his ugly follow throughs, the guys just a disaster on the eyes

good player tohugh

haroon510

International 12th Man
mohammad16 said:
most sub continent players are overrated
most players from s africa are underrated
that pretty much summarizes it
but to be specific

overrated
dhoni
sehwag
afridi
hussey
inzi
flintoff as a batsman

WARNE- i say this because he gets atleast 2wice as much attention as murali although he is a great great playre

underrated
smith
vetorri
kallis
murali
how can u say that inzi is overrated. he has always played match wining innings for pakistan whenever he has scored. i think he is underrated while he is almost as good as sechan, lara and pointing.

overrated
Flintof ( as a allrounder often rated higher than kailles and pollock)
Dravid ( his innings make me fall a sleep. in test he is good but one day he needs to imporve his strike rate)
pathan
agerker
jaysuriya
Dave Mohmmad
Mathew Hayden
Danish Kuneria
Ifthekhar Anjum
sehwag
Rana Navid Ul Hasan
and some others i cant think of them now

Under rated
Abul Razaq
malik
Shoiab
bret lee
teriscothick
Saqlien Mushtaq ( best off Spinner after muli)
Polock ( much better allrounder than Andrew Flontoff)
Chiminda Vass
Vetterie ( spacially with Bat)
Sarwan
and the list can go on and on

Eclipse

International Debutant
BingLeeElectric said:
He's a freak of nature. He's the Muralitharan of allrounders.

As a batsman. he makes Pietersen look like Boycott. He can make an opposition captain poo his pants like no other though.

Alas, he is a flawed genious, with the tendancy to then give it away, but has the quickest hands and the best eye in the history of the game.

His bowling is equally as devastating. The man can produce a near 85 MPH quicker leg break off a short trot, using arm power alone, for Gods sake.
Just because he has freakish talent does not make him good.

I too believe I have never in my time seen a player with such a good eye and ability to strike the ball so well but facts are his output is average at best.

haroon510

International 12th Man
PhoenixFire said:
Afridi can hit the ball further than anyone in international cricket, but that's about it.
i agree with u. i even doubt his talent. most people say he is very talanted what kind of talanted cricketer is he that he hasn't learn how to stay in crease for a long time dispite playing 10 years of international cricket. most bowlers know his weakness. they bowl short ball to him all the time and he gets out in short ball very often. even the worst bowlers in international cricket know his weakness and they bowl short deliveries to him. they know if he is going to hit one or two of them for six. he is going to give a catch in the next ball to mid one or mid wicket region.
afridi knows this but he repeats his mistakes most of the time. i think if pakistan really wants to play afridi. they should tell him to work in his bowling. his bowling is much better than his bating and put him in number 7 as a leg spiner and pitch hitter batsman in number 7 or 8 position. we all know that kuneria won't be a good one day bowler why not play afridi whose batting might save pakistan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
PhoenixFire said:
Vivian Richards admited he is his modern incarnation, and one of the most talented batsmen since himself.
Is there a link for that? Never knew that actually.

The similarities are obviously there, and it'd be interesting to read what Viv's thoughts are.

Eclipse

International Debutant
haroon510 said:
i agree with u. i even doubt his talent. most people say he is very talanted what kind of talanted cricketer is he that he hasn't learn how to stay in crease for a long time dispite playing 10 years of international cricket. most bowlers know his weakness. they bowl short ball to him all the time and he gets out in short ball very often. even the worst bowlers in international cricket know his weakness and they bowl short deliveries to him. they know if he is going to hit one or two of them for six. he is going to give a catch in the next ball to mid one or mid wicket region.
afridi knows this but he repeats his mistakes most of the time. i think if pakistan really wants to play afridi. they should tell him to work in his bowling. his bowling is much better than his bating and put him in number 7 as a leg spiner and pitch hitter batsman in number 7 or 8 position. we all know that kuneria won't be a good one day bowler why not play afridi whose batting might save pakistan.
True. but as far as pure hand eye cordination goes and quick hands it's hard to say anyone is better.

And last year when he was in good form to me he seemed to have sorted out his weekness against the short ball.