• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated Cricketers//Underrated Cricketers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Josh said:
Overrated:
Watson - All this hype about something that isn't very special at all. If he ever gets on the park to disprove me, then fair enough. Don't think he will be much of a test player
Harmison
Sami
Akhtar
Agarkar
Pathan
G.Smith
Clarke

Underrated:
Bracken
Bravo
Hogg
Jon Moss
Abdul Razzaq (seems to have gone off the boiler)

can't think of any more right now; did I mention Bracken?? :D
I must ask - who in this mortal universe 'overrates' Agarkar and Pathan? Considering what us Indian fans usually say about these guys, I don't think its possible to become close to overrating them.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
silentstriker said:
I must ask - who in this mortal universe 'overrates' Agarkar and Pathan? Considering what us Indian fans usually say about this guys, I don't think its possible to become close to overrating them.
'Us Indian fans' of cricketweb do not the majority of Indian fans make.

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
I edited for you :)
its interesting that the poster made it a point of referring to test cricket only on his overrated list, and yet you appear to be using performances from the CT and calling Ganguly an all time great.....

PhoenixFire

International Coach
tooextracool said:
its interesting that the poster made it a point of referring to test cricket only on his overrated list, and yet you appear to be using performances from the CT and calling Ganguly an all time great.....
I'm afraid I missed the bit about test cricket at the top, I do apologise.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Overrated - Trumper :ph34r:
Underrated - H. Sutcliffe
Ha! You thought you could change threads with this debate and I wouldn't notice!

I'm like GD McGrath - I am omnipresent, ubiquitous. A gun, if you will.

How's that - praise for McGrath AND disagreement with your opinion simultaneously! Don't pretend you're not confused now...

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Underrated -

Jim Laker - you never hear alot about him which is a shame, although he didnt take that many wicets in his career, He had a few blinding games and always seemed to do a competent job for England, One of, if not, the best Spinner England have ever had

Samit Patel - In a season where Notts got relagated, positives were overlooked. Samit, who has promised plenty in his early years, delivered the goods in 2006, including a 150 for the first class team, and spellbinding performances in the 20/20. Not much ahs been said about how well he did come on last season, a shame aswell. Obviously, with me wanting to marry him, its a biased opinion, but I think Ive justified it.

Overrated -

Dave Mohammed - I want to see a reaction. 8-)

Out of todays players.

Overrated.

Flintoff (Good, by no means great allrounder as backed up by the stats. Get's alot of Botham Type wickets due to personality and friendly umpire relationships)
Pietersen (Has got lucky so far with drops, missed edges & umpires. Just because he has an ego, it gets confused with actually being good)
Collingwood (Bores bowlers to death, then gets runs. Only has one shot in his locker)
Bell (Gets beaten all ends up by every ball, but always survives the edge of being bowled by a millimetre)
Harmison (Obvious really isn't it? Was never anything close to #1 in the world, that was a joke)
Simon Jones (One good series and suddenly he's Malcolm Marshall, bowls lots of bad balls)
Panesar (Decent, but nothing special about him. Not the magician he's being portrayed as)
Trescothick (Seemingly all his centuries are after about 10 edges through the slips, 4 drops & 5 wrong LBW calls)

Underrated.

Afridi (Second best cricketer in the world and geniusly talented)
Kaneria (Would have 100 extra wickets if he was allowed LBW's. Old umpires who cant comprehand mystery, struggle to understand his skill)
Shoaib Just because people don't like him personally, they don't admit his greatness. Unlucky with injuries)
Abdul Razzaq (Better than the likes of Flintoff, but doesn't get the recognition because he's not a funny joker, northern lad)
Stuart Clark (Get's belittled, as if just being consistently pin point accurate isn't anything special in itself. What Harmisson wouldn't do to "just be accurate")
Macgill Would have 500 wickets himself if it wasn't for Warne. One of the best wicket taking threats in the world)
Ponting Get's respect, but not as one of the top 10 batsman of all time, like it should be)
Symonds Started off like Flintoff did yet every one writes him off. Top 5 cricketer in the world.
Vettori (In reality as good a left arm spinner as any one else but gets forgotten. Impressive allrounder)
Astle (Should be considered an all time great for that 220 against England alone)
Jayawardene Unfashionable choice and just quietly goes about his business without ****y bravado like Pietersen)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Arghhh!!!

You make me even more pissed off than SS! At least his arguments are based on fact rather than unnerving bias.

Have you any idea what the **** you're on about??? I'm not biased, but how can anyone deny that KP is a supremley talented batsmen? Vivian Richards admited he is his modern incarnation, and one of the most talented batsmen since himself.

Pietersen (Has got lucky so far with drops, missed edges & umpires. Just because he has an ego, it gets confused with actually being good)
As I have just said, this bloke is literally one of the best players of spin I have ever seen. You can't fluke 2 150+ against the best team in the world, in test cricket. I have heard from so many ex-cricketers that he seriously is the real deal. Anyone with half a brain and that isn't biased will admit that he is a very, very good batsman. I don't really like Glenn McGrath, but I can still freely admit that he is a great bowler, grow up.
Collingwood (Bores bowlers to death, then gets runs. Only has one shot in his locker)
Seriously, have you ever seen him bat. "Only one shot", never heard such a load of bollocks in my life. He scored cover/square drives against McGrath and Lee, great pulls against all bowlers, and cuts against Warne and Clarke. Plus he went down the track plenty of times against Warne, and every single time he did it (bar one), he suceeded.
Bell (Gets beaten all ends up by every ball, but always survives the edge of being bowled by a millimetre)
Fair enough, McGrath made him look foolish last year, but even then, people (like in Pietersen's case) in the know called him one to watch in the future. A test average of 46 for a 23 year old is anything but poor. Dayle Hadlee called him the best 16 year old he's ever seen. Good enough for me thanks.
Harmison (Obvious really isn't it? Was never anything close to #1 in the world, that was a joke)
Clearly he's having a poor series, but pretty much all the test batsmen would say that he is bloody scary to face when he's on song, bowling 95,ph bouncers at your head not pleasant. The PWC rankings don't lie, perhaps the most accurate way of determining a players current form, without going too far.
Simon Jones (One good series and suddenly he's Malcolm Marshall, bowls lots of bad balls)
I don't know who you've been listening to, but anyone who likened him too Marshall is a fool of all fools. He was all over the Aussies in 2005, and a strike rate of 47 is hardly overated/
Panesar (Decent, but nothing special about him. Not the magician he's being portrayed as)
How on earth is there nothing special about him? Did you see the ball he got Younis Khan out to? Genius, gets the seam straight every single time, and is as an accurate spinner as you'll ever see nowerdays.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Don't bother replying to the wind up merchant. But that aside some hilarious moments in this thread, who doesn't rate Dravid that highly, and who rates Sami?!?!?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
BingLeeElectric said:
Don't worry, I don't plan on it. Although I do feel he made some valid points actually.
:sleep:

Indeed, far more valid than yours. Your Afridi comment is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

silentstriker said:
He's a freak of nature. He's the Muralitharan of allrounders.

As a batsman. he makes Pietersen look like Boycott. He can make an opposition captain poo his pants like no other though.

Alas, he is a flawed genious, with the tendancy to then give it away, but has the quickest hands and the best eye in the history of the game.

His bowling is equally as devastating. The man can produce a near 85 MPH quicker leg break off a short trot, using arm power alone, for Gods sake.

UncleTheOne said:
:sleep:

Indeed, far more valid than yours. Your Afridi comment is one of the funniest things I've ever read.
Afridi is second only to Warne as the greatest allround cricketer on earth, with more talent than any other.

Fact.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BingLeeElectric said:
He's a freak of nature. He's the Muralitharan of allrounders.

As a batsman. he makes Pietersen look like Boycott. He can make an opposition captain poo his pants like no other though.

Alas, he is a flawed genious, with the tendancy to then give it away, but has the quickest hands and the best eye in the history of the game.

His bowling is equally as devastating. The man can produce a near 85 MPH quicker leg break off a short trot, using arm power alone, for Gods sake.
This is a solid point here dawg, i'm with you on this one..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to note that all the "Overrated" crickets on Bing's list were English.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
most sub continent players are overrated
most players from s africa are underrated
that pretty much summarizes it
but to be specific

overrated
dhoni
sehwag
afridi
hussey
inzi
flintoff as a batsman

WARNE- i say this because he gets atleast 2wice as much attention as murali although he is a great great playre

underrated
smith
vetorri
kallis
murali