• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Pace Bowlers Ever

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have made a list of what I think are the top 10 pace bowlers in history.

(No Order)

Glenn McGrath
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Courney Walsh
Curltly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Dennis Lillie
Shaun Pollock
Malcom Marshall
Richard Hadlee

I know this will cause debate, especially people supporting bowlers from their country.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Looking at yr list - guess u must mean the last 20 odd years - can't be all time if u did'nt include Imran

Last edited:

SA

Banned
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcom Marshall
Joel Garner
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Curtley Ambrose
Allan Donald
Waqar Younis
Courtney Walsh

I don't consider bowlers who played before 1960s as "greats" because they almost always bowled on bowling friendly wickets.

aussie tragic

International Captain
SA said:
I don't consider bowlers who played before 1960s as "greats" because they almost always bowled on bowling friendly wickets.
Thanks for clearing that up as I always wondered why Bradman, Headley, Sutcliffe, Barrington, Hammond, Hutton & Hobbs had such terrible batting averages. Now I know it was because they all played on pre 1960 bowler friendly wickets :laugh:

SA

Banned
grant28 said:

(No Order)

Glenn McGrath
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Courney Walsh
Curltly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Dennis Lillie
Shaun Pollock
Malcom Marshall
Richard Hadlee
No bowlers list is complete without Imran Khan whom I consider the best bowler ever.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's Marshall, Lillee and Trueman, then the rest, many of whom are of similar pedigree and too close to separate.

SA

Banned
aussie tragic said:
Thanks for clearing that up as I always wondered why Bradman, Headley, Sutcliffe, Barrington, Hammond, Hutton & Hobbs had such terrible batting averages. Now I know it was because they all played on pre 1960 bowler friendly wickets :laugh:
Exceptions r always there.The number of players averaging above 50 after 1960 r many times more than those who played before 1960

SA

Banned
grant28 said:

(No Order)

Glenn McGrath
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Courney Walsh
Curltly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Dennis Lillie
Shaun Pollock
Malcom Marshall
Richard Hadlee
Dennis"The greentop bully"Lillee is nowhere near an alltime great.He used to get truckloads of wickets on bowling friendly wickets of Australia but failed miserably in Subcontinent.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Malcom Marshall
--------------------------
3. Trueman
4. Ambrose
5. Barnes
6. Hadlee
7. Imran
8. Lillee
9. Lindwall
10.Donald

My top ten list changes like every other day, but thats the gist of it. The first two are solid though.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Waqar Younis
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Keith Miller
Michael Holding
Fazal Mahmood
Richard Hadlee

Glenn McGrath/Mohammad Sami

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Malcom Marshall
3. Trueman
4. Ambrose
5. Barnes
6. Hadlee
7. Imran
8. Lillee
9. Lindwall
10.Donald

My top ten list changes like every other day, but thats the gist of it. The first two are solid though.
No Indians in there! SS, I am not liking this! Not including an Indian in the top ten pace bowlers list is an insult to Indian cricket!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
No Indians in there! SS, I am not liking this! Not including an Indian in the top ten pace bowlers list is an insult to Indian cricket!
But including one would be an insult to the intelligence of all Indians, therefore I did the right thing.

Slifer

International Captain
Mines:

Marshall/Mcgrath/Hadlee
Imran
Ambrose
Trueman
Donald
Wasim
Garner
Lindwall

Mines changes fairly frequently as well but my top three remains the same

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Malcom Marshall
3. Trueman
4. Ambrose
5. Barnes
6. Hadlee
7. Imran
8. Lillee
9. Lindwall
10.Donald

I swear it said the top ten pace bowlers of all time, not medium pace trundlers.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Glenn McGrath
3. Richard Hadlee
4. Fred Trueman
5. Sydney Barnes
6. Curtley Ambrose
7. Dennis Lillee
8. Imran Khan
9. Allan Donald
10. Wasim Akram

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Dennis Lillee
3. Richard Hadlee
4. Curtley Ambrose
5. Fred Trueman
6. Joel Garner
7. Allan Donald
8. Waqar Younis
9. Alan Davidson
10. Ray Lindwall

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
SA said:
Dennis"The greentop bully"Lillee is nowhere near an alltime great.He used to get truckloads of wickets on bowling friendly wickets of Australia but failed miserably in Subcontinent.
Yes his three Tests in pakistan and one in Sri Lanka 8-)

Any expert who watched or any player who played with or against rank him the best fast bowler or close to it.

archie mac

International Coach
1. Dennis Lillee

2. Malcolm Marshall

3. Wasim Akrim

4. Ray Lindwall

5. Fred Trueman

6. Tom Richardson

7. Harold Larwood

8. Joel Garner

9. Mike Holding

10. Alan Donald

I only considered bowlers that have retired, and left out Imran to annoy people:laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
archie mac said:
1. Dennis Lillee

I only considered bowlers that have retired, and left out Imran to annoy people:laugh:
Surprised at Lillee over Marshall. First I didn't think he would make my top ten, but I went over everything and I think I'd put him at around #7-#9 all time. Over marshall though?

archie mac

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Surprised at Lillee over Marshall. First I didn't think he would make my top ten, but I went over everything and I think I'd put him at around #7-#9 all time. Over marshall though?
Marshall himself said Lillee was the best fast bowler ever. I also remember Colin Croft not even selecting Marshall in his all time squad, as he thought he got wickets because of the other great bowlers in the side.