• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Pace Bowlers Ever

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They agreed that Australia wanted to win Test-matches, though, and this allowed them to put aside their countless other differences.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I have probably missed someone out because I always do but here is my verdict:

Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Glenn McGrath
Chaminda Vaas
Curltly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Shoaib Akhtar
Dennis Lillie
Malcom Marshall
Allan Donald

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
:lol:
There would be atleast 50 test bowlers better than those two.
I do not agree that there is more than nine better than Chaminda Vaas and scrap Akhtar for Imran, though I would have Akhtar highly due to his ability to roll over teams.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
About Akhtar,he might make Top 50 but Vaas is nowhere near being Top 50.
He has for many years carried Sri Lankan opening bowling and not only that but he has done a fine job too. Stats aside (thought I'd never have to say that), he was and to a lesser extent still is a fantastic opening bowler in both forms of the game.

He has for many years carried Sri Lankan opening bowling and not only that but he has done a fine job too. Stats aside (thought I'd never have to say that), he was and to a lesser extent still is a fantastic opening bowler in both forms of the game.
Vaas is a very fine bowler but mostly,he gets the fruit of Murali's labour by taking some cheap wickets at the other end while Murali does the real job.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree TBH. Vaas can be the best bowler going around, bar none. He can also be someone who offers absolutely no penetration whatsoever.

This changes often, from series to series, from game to game, for no apparent reason. Vaas is almost the complete seam-bowler, really - he can bowl everything, seam, cutters in both directions, conventional-inswing, conventional-outswing, reverse-inswing, reverse-outswing, Yorkers, Bouncers, slower deliveries, over and around the wicket, equally well at left- and right-handers... the ole kaboodle. Only thing he's ever lacked is that few mph, but even that has never mattered as we all know 80mph is plenty enough for a top-notch bowler.

If he had had more good games (and he had loads of them) and less outright awful ones (he has loads of them too) he'd be the best seamer ever, bar none, even Malcolm Marshall.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I disagree TBH. Vaas can be the best bowler going around, bar none. He can also be someone who offers absolutely no penetration whatsoever.

This changes often, from series to series, from game to game, for no apparent reason. Vaas is almost the complete seam-bowler, really - he can bowl everything, seam, cutters in both directions, conventional-inswing, conventional-outswing, reverse-inswing, reverse-outswing, Yorkers, Bouncers, slower deliveries, over and around the wicket, equally well at left- and right-handers... the ole kaboodle. Only thing he's ever lacked is that few mph, but even that has never mattered as we all know 80mph is plenty enough for a top-notch bowler.

If he had had more good games (and he had loads of them) and less outright awful ones (he has loads of them too) he'd be the best seamer ever, bar none, even Malcolm Marshall.
Good point but I feel that the respect you have given to him in that post shows he is worthy of the top ten.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the thing, though - as I say, he can be top-ten one game, and bottom-ten the next. He's so damn difficult to rate.

I mean, I love him to bits and have done from the very first time I ever saw him bowl. But it's hard to give a rating to a bowler who changes so often.