• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good do you think Kevin "King Viv" Pietersen can be ?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'm reserving judgement until he's played all the test nations.
He's played the best of them already though, hasn't he? With the possible exception of South Africa. His record's only likely to get better once he comes up against the likes of West Indies and India at home this summer, then once he eventually faces Bangladesh and Zimbabwe it could rocket upwards.

pasag

RTDAS
Thought I'd dig this thing up, seeing as though KP will, sadly, be leaving our shores this weekend. I think he has been magnificent this Summer. In my view, given the rampant attack he has come up against (including two of the all-time greats) he has been the batsman of the Summer so far (yes, above Hussey and Ponting).

At the start of the Summer, Ponting said that Pietersen could be the next superstar of world cricket. Well, I think he's there. He's lean and hungry. World cricket needs young marque players like this. Youngish guys who can handle the fame and success. Young guys who are ultra-talented and invariably show up ready to play.

Fair play, KP.
Agreed, top post.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IMO, Cook will be at least as good as Pietersen - being "too English" is not a valid reason why he won't.
Right. I agree. Pietersen will be a good player, but I am not sure about a great player. In fact, I think he won't be, but I could be wrong. Before we start giving him collective fellatio, we ought to wait a bit to see how he does long term.

I'm putting my money on Cook & Asif as the two young stars for the next decade. Then again, Pietersen could be like Viv Richards and I'd win the all time Greigy ;).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pietersen seems to be a lot more 'natural' than Cook tbh. Cook has some pretty glaring technical errors that have been pretty well uncovered by the Australians, but he's only 21, so he should be able to iron them out as he gets older. Pietersen doesn't really have any glaring technicals errors. Both will be greats, but Pietersen will be greater.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pietersen seems to be a lot more 'natural' than Cook tbh. Cook has some pretty glaring technical errors that have been pretty well uncovered by the Australians, but he's only 21, so he should be able to iron them out as he gets older. Pietersen doesn't really have any glaring technicals errors. Both will be greats, but Pietersen will be greater.
Two great batsmen in the English lineup? Thats saying something, since the last time an Englishman averaged 50 was....40 years ago?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Do you have to average 50 to be great? Lara might not average 50 by the end of his Test career.........
Its a good benchmark. How many all time greats do you know that average less? You are not necessarily great if you average 50 (Sehwag), but you have to average 50 to be great. With perhaps a couple notable exceptions. Now, a guy averaging 49 isn't much different from 50, so its a loose benchmark obviously.

Oh, and Lara is averaging 52 even after 131 test matches and over 16 years of test cricket. Your boy does that, and I'll call him great. :laugh:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The trouble with Both is that he often speaks without engaging the old grey matter first.
Commentates as he played.

Speak (or act) first, think later.

Doesn't mean he can't think, of course, and when he does he comes-out with some thoroughly informed comments, but too often takes the fast route.