• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good do you think Kevin "King Viv" Pietersen can be ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hear, hear. It's one thing to bash runs all over the place when your team is on top like KP did for the majority of his early Test career, but it's quite another to watch the rest of your side collapse around you and yet still have the skill and heart to stand up and do your part.
Nonsense, Pietersen's attitude is disgraceful and his attitude was the main reason England lost The Ashes, don't you know? He should have thrown his wicket away more often and not played for not-outs when there was nothing whatsoever to gain by protecting the tail. And how dare he dislike the idea of batting four, the stereotype has it that your best player should ALWAYS bat three or four.

8-)

It really beggars belief that people have honestly been saying stuff along those lines.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thought I'd dig this thing up, seeing as though KP will, sadly, be leaving our shores this weekend. I think he has been magnificent this Summer. In my view, given the rampant attack he has come up against (including two of the all-time greats) he has been the batsman of the Summer so far (yes, above Hussey and Ponting).

At the start of the Summer, Ponting said that Pietersen could be the next superstar of world cricket. Well, I think he's there. He's lean and hungry. World cricket needs young marque players like this. Youngish guys who can handle the fame and success. Young guys who are ultra-talented and invariably show up ready to play.

Fair play, KP.
Well said. He's too good for us, frankly.

I've just been watching the ODI highlights and some of the comments from the Sky team when he went down after McGrath pinged him were disgraceful. Admittedly I had the benefit of hingsight, but Hussain (who I generally quite rate as a commentator) & Botham (who I absolutely do not) basically accused him of lacking ticker. Botham said something like "you don't play shots like that with broken ribs" after KP carried on and hit a boundary. Yes, actually he does, Ian.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hussain is the one commentator that I just can't be doing with. I'm not sure what it is, but I just hate him and his opinions on the game. All the others I love, not Hussain.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I thin Pieterson will be a good batsman for a long time to come. I wouldn't say great though, as someone said earlier, his style of playing might mean he goes on extended slumps (see Sehwag, V).

Of course, I could be wrong and he might become the next Richards...but he has a long way to go.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well said. He's too good for us, frankly.

I've just been watching the ODI highlights and some of the comments from the Sky team when he went down after McGrath pinged him were disgraceful. Admittedly I had the benefit of hingsight, but Hussain (who I generally quite rate as a commentator) & Botham (who I absolutely do not) basically accused him of lacking ticker. Botham said something like "you don't play shots like that with broken ribs" after KP carried on and hit a boundary. Yes, actually he does, Ian.
I really can't believe both commentators would say that, for different reasons. I rate Nasser in general, and isn't Beefy manager of KP or something like that. Or was he back in 05 or something?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I seriously cannot believe my ears. The distance between KP's and Sehwag's technique is so big it's not even funny. Pietersen has a much better technique than most people give him credit for. Has some of the best footwork around (maybe only Ponting has better), and his technique doesn't usually let him down.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I seriously cannot believe my ears. The distance between KP's and Sehwag's technique is so big it's not even funny. Pietersen has a much better technique than most people give him credit for. Has some of the best footwork around (maybe only Ponting has better), and his technique doesn't usually let him down.
Ponting? He has decent footwork but I wouldn't say he's the benchmark.

The opposite is Lara, who with very unorthodox technique still manages to dazzle. His eyesight must be outstanding. He's closer to Lara than Tendulkar in terms of technique. Obviously, they are both successful, so its just a matter of avoiding the slumps, which IMO he won't be able to do.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Could you explain the simalarities between Sehwag's and Pietersen's technique, if that was what you were implying.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Could you explain the simalarities between Sehwag's and Pietersen's technique, if that was what you were implying.
?? I was comparing their aggressive natures, though I've noticed Pietersen falling into similar habits from time to time like hitting the ball away from his body. So far it hasn't come back to bite him, but hopefully he cuts that out or he'll be in for the same slump.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well, I've never seemed to notice it to be honest, I'll take your word for it. I just think that Pietersen has a good enough eye and technique to cope with any major defficiences on his part.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I've never seemed to notice it to be honest, I'll take your word for it. I just think that Pietersen has a good enough eye and technique to cope with any major defficiences on his part.
Eyesight players (except Lara) always suffer, and suffer early (around age 30) when that eyesight starts failing just slightly, if not earlier. In a game like cricket where it is so important to judge the ball, it doesn't take much.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I really can't believe both commentators would say that, for different reasons. I rate Nasser in general, and isn't Beefy manager of KP or something like that. Or was he back in 05 or something?

IIRC they have (or had) the same management team.

The trouble with Both is that he often speaks without engaging the old grey matter first.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also, to be honest if I had to pick a batsman from the England team to make it big long term, I'd pick Cook over Pieterson.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Also, to be honest if I had to pick a batsman from the England team to make it big long term, I'd pick Cook over Pieterson.
I don't see that happening.

Cook's a good player, but he's too English, just like Ian Bell he'll never attain the level of performance KP will.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't see that happening.

Cook's a good player, but he's too English, just like Ian Bell he'll never attain the level of performance KP will.
Eh? There are many ways of being successful, and scoring fast not necessarily the only way, or really even the best way.

adharcric

International Coach
Pietersen should remain at the 4 spot. It seems he's susceptible to the moving new ball and he should bat according to his strengths.
Three of Strauss, Vaughan, Bell and Cook should be good enough to shore up the top order.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, the best thing about KP's batting, and something that will always stand him in good stead, is the massive stride he takes down the wicket. I'm not talking about when he charges the bowlers :laugh: but the stride he takes to play his drives and generally his shots in front of the wicket. It's one of the biggest strides in International cricket. I always think that if you can minimise the number of times you're stuck playing on the crease, then it can only be a good thing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He was Asif's bunny so I took points away from him, but it looks like half the batsmen in international cricket will be Asif's bunnies, so I can't really hold it against him. :laugh: