• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good do you think Kevin "King Viv" Pietersen can be ?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Once he keeps improving he has the ability to become an all-time great, he really has this great aura about him, the way he has played Warne & Murali over the past 18 months really shows how special the bloke is.

Disgrace to see the great Richards name being tarnished alongside that of a lucky rookie upstart who happened to come along at the right time & take advantage of one of the weakest periods of pace bowling ever. Infact, the topic title makes me physically sick

If Richards had worn a helmet in his day and played on these lifeless, batsman friendly roads we're seeing around the world, then you can add another 10 to his average at least.

Viv also didn't look umpires in the eye & tell umpires to give him not out during appeals, unlike Pietersen. He stuck to intimidating the bowlers.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
BingLeeElectric said:
Disgrace to see the great Richards name being tarnished alongside that of a lucky rookie upstart who happened to come along at the right time & take advantage of one of the weakest periods of pace bowling ever. Infact, the topic title makes me physically sick

If Richards had worn a helmet in his day and played on these lifeless, batsman friendly roads we're seeing around the world, then you can add another 10 to his average at least.

Viv also didn't look umpires in the eye & tell umpires to give him not out during appeals, unlike Pietersen. He stuck to intimidating the bowlers.

I've gone past the point of getting pissed off at your posts, and I just find them amusing now.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has all the tools to be as good as anyone. Raw physical hitting talent, shots all-round the wicket and a love for the fight. He'll go as far as he wants to although, like Viv, I think he'll suffer form lapses when it all seems too easy and he gets a bit lazy.

howardj

International Coach
Thought I'd dig this thing up, seeing as though KP will, sadly, be leaving our shores this weekend. I think he has been magnificent this Summer. In my view, given the rampant attack he has come up against (including two of the all-time greats) he has been the batsman of the Summer so far (yes, above Hussey and Ponting).

At the start of the Summer, Ponting said that Pietersen could be the next superstar of world cricket. Well, I think he's there. He's lean and hungry. World cricket needs young marque players like this. Youngish guys who can handle the fame and success. Young guys who are ultra-talented and invariably show up ready to play.

Fair play, KP.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Thought I'd dig this thing up, seeing as though KP will, sadly, be leaving our shores this weekend. I think he has been magnificent this Summer. In my view, given the rampant attack he has come up against (including two of the all-time greats) he has been the batsman of the Summer so far (yes, above Hussey and Ponting).

At the start of the Summer, Ponting said that Pietersen could be the next superstar of world cricket. Well, I think he's there. He's lean and hungry. World cricket needs young marque players like this. Youngish guys who can handle the fame and success. Young guys who are ultra-talented and invariably show up ready to play.

Fair play, KP.
Right on, well said.

Barney Rubble

International Coach

Fair play, KP.
Hear, hear. It's one thing to bash runs all over the place when your team is on top like KP did for the majority of his early Test career, but it's quite another to watch the rest of your side collapse around you and yet still have the skill and heart to stand up and do your part. There's nothing stopping him from becoming the best batsman in the world IMO - quite remarkable for someone who started off as a bowler.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why doesn't he open in ODI's? Your best, most destructive batsman should be at the top in ODI's IMO. Sachin, GIlly, etc.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Why doesn't he open in ODI's? Your best, most destructive batsman should be at the top in ODI's IMO. Sachin, GIlly, etc.
I don't personally think it's that bad an idea, but until recently we had Trescothick up there who could do his fair share of damage, so we didn't really need him there. Plus Fletcher's experiments in ODIs only usually extend to the cunning use of rubbish players instead of good ones.

PY

International Coach
I honestly believe if he doesn't get injured for long periods then he'll become England's leading runscorer in Tests.

He's at 2000 @ 50 with at least 70 Tests left in him which would take him past Goochie. Plus, a lot of his innings were cut short by rash shots (and still are) so if he stamps on that then his average might improve. Hopefully, then he'll get passed by Cook. ;)

Aussies seem to have warmed to him and it's hard to fault his attitude to cricket, he's probably the one who's appeared to care the most out of all the England side.

Parting interview says it all - http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/276237.html

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of a generalisation to say your best batsman should be at the top. It really depends on where their strengths lie. Symonds is probably just as destructive as Gilchrist, but you wouldn't want him to open, and players like Hussey and Bevan excel in the lower order where other batsmen tend to struggle having to score quickly with little time at the crease. Generally in ODIs I think it's valuable to have guys at the top of the order who can play a long innings, and England's problem really isn't explosive scoring in the top order but the sorts of scores those guys make. Strauss and Vaughan have horrible ODI averages and Bell's yet to make big scores, which matters a lot more than the fact that none of them strike in the 90s.

If all of them averaged in the 40s and Pietersen and Flintoff were at 4 and 5 it would be a pretty good lineup. Perhaps putting Pietersen at 3 could be a worthwhile move though, if they want to keep the two best batsmen seperated. Bell down to 4. Collingwood should definitely be at 6 or 7.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
There's a worry about his susceptibility to the banana white ball at the start of his innings so they don't want him at first drop?

I agree with the rest of your comments though, if any 2 of the top 3 averaged 40+ then it wouldn't be such a big deal because we'd likely be at over 100 before Pietersen/Flintoff would have to come in and finish with the last 25 overs. As it is, they almost have to bat the whole 50 to be in for the slog overs.

If any of them averaged over 40 then it'd likely be at a fair pace (>70) because they all play their shots.

howardj

International Coach
Moreover, I think his competitive streak will ensure that he’ll be a real stayer in International cricket. Cricket is like the vehicle through which he can satisfy his desire to compete. He has a love for the fight.

It’s good to see new champions emerge. Because, let’s face it, a lot of young kids follow players as much as they do teams. For too long, as a game, cricket has lived off the fabulous four - Warne, Tendulkar, Murali and Lara.

The game needs new demi-Gods. :laugh:

sideshowtim

Banned
Pietersens style of play leaves him open to very large form slumps. When you are constantly attacking you are always giving the bowler a chance of getting you out, and when luck is going against you that can sometimes be your worst enemy. He seems to be supremely confident but we haven't really seen him in a form slump yet, so I think a real test of his character and ability will be seen through his ability to come out of a slump.