Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: How come Hingston/Saffies in general don't like Kevin Pietersen ?

  1. #1
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,138

    How come Hingston/Saffies in general don't like Kevin Pietersen ?

    I always thought Rich "Langeveldt" Hingston was a true-blue Pommy from Somerset who took more than a passing interest in the Proteas.

    If so then why does he dislike KP so much - because KP also has a background that straddles both countries.
    I mean if it's all about betrayal and all that shabang,,,,,c'mon it's agame.....it's not like KP sold South African state secrets to Tony Blair's government....he made a decison in the interests of his professional career by playing for England - something we all do .
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 01-12-2006 at 02:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,183
    Might have something to do with the fact that KP quite often mouths off about his gripes against South African cricket.
    RIP Craigos

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,077
    From my observations, South Africa is a complicated country. It is very economically, socially, linguistically, culturally and historically diverse.

    Previously it was the oppressive National Party government that held the country together.

    Now, in the new South Africa, there is nothing holding the people together apart from Mandela as an icon and an insecure but fervent belief that in order to to survive they all must try to get along as best they can. To do that, and try and put the past behind them, they bind behind the flag and positive nationalistic feelings towards the new SA.

    SA is still very precarious politically and all thoughts towards the young democracy tend to be positive as there is a fear it could all come down.

    People like KP are disliked because they buck this trend and also voice what others are afraid to think

    Anyway, thats one posibility.
    Last edited by Goughy; 01-12-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  4. #4
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Hah no i've lived in South Africa for a fair bit of my life so have at least a grasp of what goes on and who calls the shots..

    Lots of players leave SA and come to the UK, whether it be to further their careers or earn more money, and I don't have the slightest problem with that.. I do similar and would rather earn my bucks in England and spend them elsewhere..

    My main gripe with KP is his continued mouthing at "the system" - One which has produced players like AB de Villiers, Dale Steyn, Makhaya Ntini and Graham Smith. One where white or black, pink or purple, players of quality are still being produced. I'm not naive enough to think that white cricketers are not becoming disillusioned with the transformation process, but if players are talented enough, they will mostly hit the top and I know several white cricketers who are doing very well for themselves in the new South Africa.. I'm sorry to hear Goughy paint a much more gloomy picture up north however..

    Let us not forget Pietersen was nothing special when he left KZN.. A chappie by the name of Goolam Bodi who hit a century the other day I think was the main man who took his place, and if I remember correctly, quite rightly..

    Now one way or another Pietersen has made his name as a world class cricketer with England.. but what I dislike most is his penchant for slating the system back in South Africa, a country which thank the lord above, now has nothing at all to do with him,, Okay we are all bitter behind the new flag because we wish that such a talent was playing for us, but his comments about things that no longer concern him, not to mention his new found worship for Hansie Cronje and the defense of what he did, leaves me wishing he would just put up, shut up, and score some runs for his newfound England..
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 01-12-2006 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Graham Smith
    Hehe, the guy who's now gone 17 Tests without a century against class opposition...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  6. #6
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Hehe, the guy who's now gone 17 Tests without a century against class opposition...
    why is that relevant to anything? You might have a point if he didn't average 49.25 in test cricket...

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    why is that relevant to anything? You might have a point if he didn't average 49.25 in test cricket...
    Vinod Kambli averages 56. Your point?

    Smith has been pretty much dire in Test cricket (excluding Zim and WI) since after the innings where Nass dropped a skier on 8. Plus he's scared of opening against the swinging ball, and he's now officially Zaheer Khan's bunny.

    "Class player"?

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,899
    tbf it wasn't a skyer, IIRC he cut waist height to point

  9. #9
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Vinod Kambli averages 56. Your point?

    Smith has been pretty much dire in Test cricket (excluding Zim and WI) since after the innings where Nass dropped a skier on 8. Plus he's scared of opening against the swinging ball, and he's now officially Zaheer Khan's bunny.

    "Class player"?
    You make out that just because he's done sod all this year, he's a useless player.. He's played three times more than Kambli, a poor example really.. Not to mention captaining us to a win against Australia in ODI's.. Sorry that the series was "irrelevant", but I call that an achievement for a 22/3 year old.. And a good example of what "the system" can do..

    It's like saying that because Tendulkar did sweet FA for a year or so, he is a poor player.. For such a quality poster, that is a really poor go, you could have used Steyn or de Villiers as examples for having far less to shout about, but no...

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    You make out that just because he's done sod all this year, he's a useless player.. He's played three times more than Kambli, a poor example really.. Not to mention captaining us to a win against Australia in ODI's.. Sorry that the series was "irrelevant", but I call that an achievement for a 22/3 year old.. And a good example of what "the system" can do..

    It's like saying that because Tendulkar did sweet FA for a year or so, he is a poor player.. For such a quality poster, that is a really poor go, you could have used Steyn or de Villiers as examples for having far less to shout about, but no...
    Fair enough. He does have a decent record and I suppose it was a bit OTT. But it's a three-year-period now where he's really got sod all to shout about in Tests, and if ODIs are anything to go by, he'll not do much against India either.

    Hey, that'd be a nice avatar bet, actually...if he makes more than 200 runs in the Tests I'll put his mug up for three months.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,077
    Just lost a massive post. Anyway Ive probably posted enough long posts today, its just annoying to lose something that Id actually spent a fair time researching.

    It went something like this.
    Rich, the list you mention of the quality produced by the system is not great evidence. 2 of the guys you mention are kids unproven at the top level. Compared to any list of similar players of any semi-recent period in SA cricket history it looks weak. If anything it is evidence that the system is producing poorer 'quality' players and less of them. But of course it would when the half the players that would have been in the system are no longer there.

    Also, I cant believe people think KP shouldnt speak about his time in SA. It is clearly a defining part of his life that he is perfectly entitled to address. The incidents completely changed his life. I would be amazed if he didnt have strong feelings or say anything. Imagine the most important thing that has ever happened in your life and being told to shut-up and that you had no right to say anything about it. No doubt KP is a strange fruit, but he is entitled to express feeling about moments that shook his life.

    Also its not just KP. Look at Claude Hendersen. He left after Omar Henry told him he was 5th in line behind about 2 good bowlers and 2 poor ones (Ontong being 1) when many considered him to be the best spinner in the country. Now look at last seasons leading Supersport Series wickettaker (Paul Harris) leaving and signing a Kolpak with Warwickshire because he is being ignored and placed behind guys like your good mate, Peterson.

    Now if you dont believe me about the implications of being a white cricketer in SA read the following quote from Gerald Majola, SA Cricket boss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Majola
    We don't have quotas, we've never had quotas, we have targets. In 10 years' time the majority of this team will be black, that is our target. "
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...ca/4253241.stm

    Nothing to do with being the best team in the world and certainly nothing to make an up-an-coming white cricketer think he has a future.

    Anyway, my lost post was longer and more elequant than this but it will have to do.
    Last edited by Goughy; 01-12-2006 at 05:15 PM.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin
    KP also has a background that straddles both countries .
    For educational purposes the term is Soutpiel

  13. #13
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Just lost a massive post. Anyway Ive probably posted enough long posts today, its just annoying to lose something that Id actually spent a fair time researching.

    It went something like this.
    Rich, the list you mention of the quality produced by the system is not great evidence. 2 of the guys you mention are kids unproven at the top level. Compared to any list of similar players of any semi-recent period in SA cricket history it looks weak. If anything it is evidence that the system is producing poorer 'quality' players and less of them. But of course it would when the half the players that would have been in the system are no longer there.

    Also, I cant believe people think KP shouldnt speak about his time in SA. It is clearly a defining part of his life that he is perfectly entitled to address. The incidents completely changed his life. I would be amazed if he didnt have strong feelings or say anything. Imagine the most important thing that has ever happened in your life and being told to shut-up and that you had no right to say anything about it. No doubt KP is a strange fruit, but he is entitled to express feeling about moments that shook his life.

    Also its not just KP. Look at Claude Hendersen. He left after Omar Henry told him he was 5th in line behind about 2 good bowlers and 2 poor ones (Ontong being 1) when many considered him to be the best spinner in the country. Now look at last seasons leading Supersport Series wickettaker (Paul Harris) leaving and signing a Kolpak with Warwickshire because he is being ignored and placed behind guys like your good mate, Peterson.

    Now if you dont believe me about the implications of being a white cricketer in SA read the following quote from Gerald Majola, SA Cricket boss.



    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...ca/4253241.stm

    Nothing to do with being the best team in the world and certainly nothing to make an up-an-coming white cricketer think he has a future.

    Anyway, my lost post was longer and more elequant than this but it will have to do.
    But wouldn't a white player who's old man knew people in the higher ranks of SA cricket actually be helpful to him? I remember reading on a different forum when Smith became captain somebody speculated that his dad knew people on board, of course that probably isn't true.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  14. #14
    State Vice-Captain Poker Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kilbirnie, Scotland
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Fair enough. He does have a decent record and I suppose it was a bit OTT. But it's a three-year-period now where he's really got sod all to shout about in Tests, and if ODIs are anything to go by, he'll not do much against India either.

    Hey, that'd be a nice avatar bet, actually...if he makes more than 200 runs in the Tests I'll put his mug up for three months.
    Since the Lord's test of 2003 Grahame Smith has scored 2621 runs for SA at an average of 42.96 with 7 centuries. But there are lies, damn lies and statitics! Of his seven centuries five have been against the worst WI attack in living memory, one against Zimbabwe who had one good bowler (streak) and the other was against a Bond less NZ. No centuries against Australia, England (since we learned how to bowl at him), India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka. You have to wonder that if he wasn't the captain....and if he keeps struggling, will he do what he did against England when Hoggy had the wood over him and escape down the order.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,102
    Had a post in here before, but it disappeared for some reason.

    Pietersen annoys the hell out of me, but he's a rare talent. I think he'll be one of the better batsmen in the world, but will be a bit too inconsistent to rate as an all-time great. Being such an eye player and fairly reckless will see him go through some lengthy form slumps IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him absolutely dominate in between. Similar to someone like Sehwag or Gilchrist in the last 2-3 years.

    Having said that, some batsmen (Waugh, Ponting, Kallis etc) mature a great deal in their late 20s/early 30s and become much improved batsmen, so who knows what he's capable of?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 09:29 AM
  3. Mahmood and Panesar power England to series glory
    By symonds_94 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 12:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •