• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 6 for 1946-65 World Test XI

# 6 for 1946-65 World Test XI

• Dennis Atkinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trevor Bailey

• Trevor Goddard

• Vinoo Mankad

• Collie Smith

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
silentstriker said:
Ehhh, Sobers was more of a 'genuine' all rounder than Imran, considering he performed with both bat and ball in many series, whereas Imran usually was dominant with the ball or good with the bat, rarely both at the same time.
Imran Khan was twice the allrounder Gary Sobers was.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotta go with my av on this one. The 2nd greatest allrounder of all time in my books. And undoubtedly the coolest.

The Sean said:
Gotta go with my av on this one. The 2nd greatest allrounder of all time in my books. And undoubtedly the coolest.
Yes,Imran Khan was not a great allrounder for his crime of being not a white.

Matt79

Global Moderator
BhupinderSingh said:
Imran Khan was twice the allrounder Gary Sobers was.
How many of your 213 posts have been a variation of that one sentence - I'd guess around 50%. Did Sobers run over your dog or something? :)

oz_fan

International Regular
Keith Miller - great with the bat and with the ball. IMO one of the top three all rounders of all time.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
IMO if there is an all-rounder good enough to play, you pick him and play fibe bowlers. There are three good enough here - Miller just wins over the "Barnacle" and Goddard.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Poker Boy said:
IMO if there is an all-rounder good enough to play, you pick him and play fibe bowlers. There are three good enough here - Miller just wins over the "Barnacle" and Goddard.
I rate both Bailey and Goddard highly, but I'd say Miller was more than "just" ahead of them!

bagapath

International Captain
C_C said:
Very very dumb, in that case.
Anyways, this whole thing has been pretty dumb from the get-go. No sobers in 46-65 team = no credibility.
Period.
Too bad we didn't have you here earlier to help us out CC. The whole world is full of dumb guys. You are the only genius this world has seen since Mozart died! Thanks for letting us know every now and then no matter what the thread is. We are too dumb to remember this important detail otherwise.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Bit surprised Mankad didn't get any votes as it would then have allowed 2 spinners (Miller would most likely have still got in as 2nd or 3rd pacer)

Matt79

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
Bit surprised Mankad didn't get any votes as it would then have allowed 2 spinners (Miller would most likely have still got in as 2nd or 3rd pacer)
I think (or hope) a lot of people are going to vote for Richie as the last bowler.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Matt79 said:
I think (or hope) a lot of people are going to vote for Richie as the last bowler.
Well, I hoped Lindwall would open with Trueman, but now that it looks like he won't, I'll probably vote Lindwall for final bowler, just over Benaud....

Maybe you can convince me otherwise :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I voted for Lindwall as well, so share your disappointment. I think its a question of team balance. I usually think 4 quicks is overkill. Benaud would bring wrist spin to complement Laker's finger spin, he'll bring useful lower order batting, very good fielding and an exceptionally shrewd cricketing mind. If he makes it, I'll vote for him as captain. Lindwall is also a useful lower order bat, but Benaud is better in that regard, and if we have Lindwall, Miller, Trueman and Davidson in the team, one of them is going to be criminally underbowled.

archie mac

International Coach
I voted for Neil Harvey, a left hander, one of the greatest players of spin ever (forget 1956) and stood up to Tyson at his fastest. Also one of the great cover fielders. I really think we should have picked 5 bats 4 bowlers 1 ar and 1wk. Where was I when we started picking this side.

I won't miss the 1877-1914 selections :ph34r:

aussie tragic

International Captain
archie mac said:
I really think we should have picked 5 bats 4 bowlers 1 ar and 1wk. Where was I when we started picking this side.

I won't miss the 1877-1914 selections :ph34r:
Umm, we are picking 5 bats, 4 bowlers, 1 AR and 1 WK.

It's just that people were saying they wanted to have a choice between and allrounder or a batsman at # 6, so we throw the # 5 runner-ups into this poll. So far an AR has been selected everytime though.....

archie mac

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
Umm, we are picking 5 bats, 4 bowlers, 1 AR and 1 WK.

It's just that people were saying they wanted to have a choice between and allrounder or a batsman at # 6, so we throw the # 5 runner-ups into this poll. So far an AR has been selected everytime though.....

Not to be pedantic but that is not strickly picking an AR is it? But I will let it slide just this once :happy:

aussie tragic

International Captain
archie mac said:
Not to be pedantic but that is not strickly picking an AR is it? But I will let it slide just this once :happy:
Well, in our defence....... there was a problem in having an allrounder at # 6 averaging 30, while two of Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Waugh and Border missed a middle order berth in the 1986-05 XI, so this is what evolved after many criticisms on this subject. It seems to have worked out pretty well though.