• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrats Mohammed Yousuf for breaking Viv's record

Rob T

Cricket Spectator
------------Year---- M---- I---- NO---- Runs---- HS---- Av---- 100s
M Yousuf ---2006----11----19----1----1788----202---99.34---9
IVA Richards 1976--- 11--- 19--- 0--- 1710--- 291--- 90.00--- 7
RT Ponting 2005--- 15--- 28--- 5--- 1544--- 207--- 67.13--- 6
RT Ponting 2003--- 11--- 18--- 3--- 1503--- 257--- 100.20--- 6
JL Langer 2004--- 14--- 27--- 0--- 1481--- 215--- 54.85--- 5
MP Vaughan 2002--- 14--- 26--- 2--- 1481--- 197--- 61.70--- 6
SM Gavaskar 1979--- 17--- 26--- 0--- 1407--- 221--- 54.11--- 4

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Reactions to the record

Bob Woolmer
It is a marvellous achievement. I have had the honour of playing against Viv Richards and coaching Yousuf. Both are very different in their styles, Viv was a lot more aggressive and Yousuf more sedate but to break Viv's record is really an outstanding achievement.

Brian Lara
It's excellent and slightly unbelievable what he has achieved. Nine hundreds in a year and that many runs is just magnificent. He is a very committed player and an excellent role model, not just for Pakistan but for young cricketers everywhere. He's had an amazing year, though the last 600 runs that he has scored I haven't really enjoyed.

Sanjay Manjrekar
The most striking thing about Yousuf at the moment is that it is as if he is batting in a trance. He is so calm at the crease and that mental change is the most striking change from last year. You know people will say that he played on flat tracks, against weak attacks at times but that is neither here nor there. He still had to break a big record and he has done it. What's good to see, apart from the calm demeanour, is that he is, like all good batsmen, cashing in on good form and making the most of that period."

Nasim Ashraf
Pakistan is very proud of his achievements and he will be honoured by the PCB after the match.

Hanif Mohammad
We are proud of what he has done and I hope this is the start of of something great for him.

Rameez Raja
He's been absolutely brilliant this year and has done it against good teams in India, England and the West Indies and has done it home and away. I don't think he has made any technical adjustments as such, but he is so sound mentally now. Religion has played an integral part in his growth not just as a cricketer but as a person. I used to doubt his ability to see Pakistan through in situations before but he has rescued Pakistan from precarious positions through the year. A superb achievement.

Other records he holds:

Feats achieved
* Most hundreds in a calendar year (9)
* Highest run scorer in a calendar year (1788 runs in 2006)
* Highest average of any Pakistani batsman (56.65)
* 3rd highest career average (56.65) from players still playing (min of 20 tests). Only Ponting (59.52 avg) and Dravid (58,75 avg) average higher than him.
* 5 hundreds in consecutive tests (joint 2nd with Kallis)
* 6th Pakistani batsman to score a century in each innings of a test match.
* Joint 5th for most runs in an over, 24 runs off a N. Boje over in Cape Town.
* 3rd fastest (in balls) test fifty made in 27 balls vs SA in SA.
* Joint (with Viv and Sachin) 6th fastest player to reach 6000 test runs
* 2nd best centuries to matches ratio from players with over 20 test centuries. MoYo makes a century every 3.17 matches. He's behind Bradman (1.79 matches per century) but ahead of Hayden (3.27 matches per century) and Ponting (3.31 matches per century). The only non-Aussie in the top 4!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually I think it's still five consecutive Tests, but he's scored two tons in this one, so that's six centuries. Still needs to get one in his next Test to make it 6 in a row. Though 6 tons in 5 Tests isn't too shabby either, all things considered... ;)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I think it's still five consecutive Tests, but he's scored two tons in this one, so that's six centuries. Still needs to get one in his next Test to make it 6 in a row. Though 6 tons in 5 Tests isn't too shabby either, all things considered... ;)
You speak the truth. Welcome to the forums. I think you'll find I'm The Sean, though. :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
You speak the truth. Welcome to the forums. I think you'll find I'm The Sean, though. :p
Thanks mate - long time reader, first time poster and all that. Figured it was about time I joined the discussion.

Fair enough, but calling myself The Other Sean just didn't have the same ring to it...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
PhoenixFire said:
Bradman scored 6 in a row, the record's here.
Some people (depending on their criteria) even credit Bradman with 8 in a row - because he scored those 6, then didn't bat due to injury in the Oval Test next up. And then got hundreds in each of his next two Tests - in Brisbane and Sydney against England in 1946/7. So it was tons in 6 consecutive Tests in which he played, but actually 8 consecutive Tests in which he batted.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That's just insane. How many has Mohammed Yousuf got in consecutive innings? The record is 5 I believe by Sir Everton Weekes.

Welcome to CW by the way, you seem to know your stuff :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks mate, happy to be here. :) Yousuf's on three in a row now for consecutive innings, and you've called it dead right about Weekes' five in a row. (and he was run out for 90 going for number 6!)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
So I guess he won't fit in. :whistling
Lol

Glenn McGrath is the greatest, bestest, handsomest, gunnest bowler in the history of everything.

Do I fit in now? ;)