View Poll Results: Will baseball be a threat to cricket at the international level?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    1 2.33%
  • No!

    41 95.35%
  • May be...

    1 2.33%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92

Thread: Cricket vs Baseball

  1. #1
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973

    Cricket vs Baseball

    Ok, I've been thinking and wanted to know what you guys think on this topic. Cricket at present is the better sport internationally but with the populary of World baseball classic and that being hosted every 4 years like the cricket world cup, can this be a threat to cricket. Baseball overtook cricket in the US(cricket use to be the main sport before baseball took over), is there are chance for it taking over other countries?

  2. #2
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    No. Baseball only took over Cricket in US is because it was shorter. The rest of the world has patience, unlike the US, to play a better game

  3. #3
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    im just going to say baseballs side because no one else here will but i hope you guys prove everything in this thread wrong...ok 1 the International Baseball Federation has 112 member when the ICC has 97 seven and places like japan and china are already playing baseball when we are just trying to get china to play...and more people/countries gets influenced by the US(because we are into everyones bussness)...baseball might...hope to god it doesnt

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,300
    To be fair, I don't think either games are a threat to each other. I don't ever foresee Cricket making it big in the American Continents. On the other hand, I don't see baseball making inroads in the current Test playing nations. While Cricket will eventually be successful in China, Baseball has long established a foothold in Japan and Korea. Both games have their core audiences and are unlikely to threaten each other.


  5. #5
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E
    im just going to say baseballs side because no one else here will but i hope you guys prove everything in this thread wrong...ok 1 the International Baseball Federation has 112 member when the ICC has 97 seven and places like japan and china are already playing baseball when we are just trying to get china to play...and more people/countries gets influenced by the US(because we are into everyones bussness)...baseball might...hope to god it doesnt
    But Baseball isn't trying to develop in the second most populated country in the world, thus it will always be below Cricket.

  6. #6
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion
    To be fair, I don't think either games are a threat to each other. I don't ever foresee Cricket making it big in the American Continents. On the other hand, I don't see baseball making inroads in the current Test playing nations. While Cricket will eventually be successful in China, Baseball has long established a foothold in Japan and Korea. Both games have their core audiences and are unlikely to threaten each other.
    Cricket is popular in the carribean, which is part of the North American continent
    Last edited by Dravid; 30-11-2006 at 12:05 AM.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Cricket is in popular in the carribean, which is part of the North American continent
    Right you are. My oversight. However, I was more referring to the main land continents. Baseball has a massive hold on South America. It is clearly the second most popular sport there after football. And of course it's well ahead in United States and Canada.

  8. #8
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Another reason baseball is ahead in US is because Cricket never had the right exposure. Barely any American knows how to play Cricket, where world wide so many countries know how to play Cricket.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    Another reason baseball is ahead in US is because Cricket never had the right exposure. Barely any American knows how to play Cricket, where world wide so many countries know how to play Cricket.
    Wouldn't have mattered IMO. Cricket is just too long for the American audience. Even Baseball, which used to be America's passtime, is now losing it's appeal. At best, it's the 2nd most popular sport in the States (behind American Footbal). It's probably behind basketball now tbh. The reason is that baseball is considered slow and boring. When I speak to my American collegues about Test Cricket, they shudder at the very mention of a 5 day/8 hour long game with a possibility of no result. No amount of marketing could've made Cricket big in the US.

  10. #10
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,299
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E
    Ok, I've been thinking and wanted to know what you guys think on this topic. Cricket at present is the better sport internationally but with the populary of World baseball classic and that being hosted every 4 years like the cricket world cup, can this be a threat to cricket. Baseball overtook cricket in the US(cricket use to be the main sport before baseball took over), is there are chance for it taking over other countries?
    How popular is it actually?!

    I for one have never heard of it.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  11. #11
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,061
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    How popular is it actually?!

    I for one have never heard of it.
    Yeah, full stadiums don't necessarily mean the event is popular on a world wide level. I live in the US and I didn't even know about it until it was half way through.
    RIP Craigos

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    How popular is it actually?!

    I for one have never heard of it.
    Held for the first time last year, Japan won (I think). It was held in the USA and got a lukewarm response. The structure of MLB (162+ games per season per franchise) means that the franchises don't like their players to play internationals.

    TBH from the limited experience I have, the sheer amount of games seem to me to be a huge problem. When cricketers talk of overkill, at least they don't play four back-to-back individual games against the same side several times per season. How can anyone keep track of so many matches?

  13. #13
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion
    Right you are. My oversight. However, I was more referring to the main land continents. Baseball has a massive hold on South America. It is clearly the second most popular sport there after football. And of course it's well ahead in United States and Canada.
    Guyana?
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  14. #14
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    Baseball is only popular in the US and surrounds and Japan, really. A tiny bit of popularity in Europe.

    Cricket has a much higher profile internationally and also a ****load more players at amateur level. The two aren't comparible.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year Kweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,723
    baseball is bigger in Holland then cricket
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Domestic cricket revamp.
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 30-11-2007, 08:15 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Replies: 1876
    Last Post: 23-09-2005, 04:21 PM
  4. Cricket Web - Fantasy Cricket - T&N Trophy Challenge IV
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 03:24 AM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •