• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Roope R.I.P

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not the best known of cricketers, but played 21 times for England in the 70's and was still competing at a good club level right up to his premature death at the age of 60.
He has two rather quirkish claims to fame. He was the batsman at the other end when both John Edrich and Geoff Boycott reached their 100th century. He hit the winning runs in his last Test innings and was then left out of the next match to make way for the return of Geoff Boycott after injury - he never played for England again. By a strange twist of fate the previous summer of 1977 the same fate befell Dennis Amiss who hit the winning runs and was also left out of the side for the next match to make way for the return of Boycott after a self imposed exile, he also never played for England again.

R.I.P

Graham Roope

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Had the pleasure to spend some short time with Graham. Cant say I knew him well, or that he was a great batsman but he seemed pleasant enough.

RIP

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. Poor fella, RIP. :(

I do know Boycott didn't rate him at all as a player. The Lancs batsman Frank Hayes told a story that Boycott was so incensed when he dropped him in one of the old test trial matches after which Roope went on to make a ton that he pinned a press cutting to Hayes's locker the next day. Hayes asked Boycs why he'd done this & he replied, with typical tact, "You've just got him in the Test side & he's not a fookin' player's arse." Supposed to be a bit of a ladies man tho.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Wow. Poor fella, RIP. :(

I do know Boycott didn't rate him at all as a player. The Lancs batsman Frank Hayes told a story that Boycott was so incensed when he dropped him in one of the old test trial matches after which Roope went on to make a ton that he pinned a press cutting to Hayes's locker the next day. Hayes asked Boycs why he'd done this & he replied, with typical tact, "You've just got him in the Test side & he's not a fookin' player's arse." Supposed to be a bit of a ladies man tho.[/QUOTE

:laugh: Boycott you have to love him

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RIP, I think I heard Bill Lawry talking about him the other day during the cricket.