Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black armbands - what a joke !

Black armbands - what a joke !

Looking forward to having a go at our umps for this on Saturday.......
    ............after the game that is

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Syd...476254849.html

Melbourne umpires did this too.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I disagree with the wearing of a black armband because he hasn't died, he lost his job that's all.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Eh...they feel strongly about it. If I were an umpire, I probably would too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Perm
    I disagree with the wearing of a black armband because he hasn't died, he lost his job that's all.
    Exactly. I disapprove of using a symbol of mourning for someone who has died when someone has simply lost their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm
    Agreed

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Black armbands aren't only used to mourn the dead. They've been used to make political statements in the past - eg Andy Flower.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

True, but they referred to that as the "death of democracy", so it was in a sense still a symbol of mourning.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    True, but they referred to that as the "death of democracy", so it was in a sense still a symbol of mourning.
    Eh. I'm sure this could symbolise the death of something in terms of the umpires.

But isn't it a bit of an exaggeration? People were (and still are) dying at the hands of the Zimbabwean government.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Says "black ribbons" in the article, TBF. Same principle tho, obviously, just not so ostentatious.

You may or may not like Hair (I'm probably more in the latter camp TBH), but with the fallout from the 4th test has implicitly eroded umpire's authority to make calls, much as the current nonsense of a chucking law we have has done.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Says "black ribbons" in the article, TBF. Same principle tho, obviously, just not so ostentatious.

You may or may not like Hair (I'm probably more in the latter camp TBH), but with the fallout from the 4th test has implicitly eroded umpire's authority to make calls, much as the current nonsense of a chucking law we have has done.
    They still have the authority to make the right the calls, if they don't make the right calls then they should be held accountable just like Hair was.

I have no problem with them wearing ribbons to support him, it good to see umps get behind each other. But it would be more worthwhile getting behind someone who is half decent umpire, not just some show pony.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    They still have the authority to make the right the calls, if they don't make the right calls then they should be held accountable just like Hair was.

I have no problem with them wearing ribbons to support him, it good to see umps get behind each other. But it would be more worthwhile getting behind someone who is half decent umpire, not just some show pony.
    They aren't tho, are they? If an ump makes an incorrect LBW call he isn't hauled before an ICC commitee. Well, not yet anyway... They're only "held accountable" regarding certain calls like ball tampering & chucking, which is probably their point with the armbands.

I mean no-one (not even Hair before his removal from the elite panal) calls chucking any more. & I don't blame them, frankly. Can you imagine the outcry if one of the umps had called Shabbir for throwing (correctly as it would've turned out) in the 1st test v us last year?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    They aren't tho, are they? If an ump makes an incorrect LBW call he isn't hauled before an ICC commitee. Well, not yet anyway... They're only "held accountable" regarding certain calls like ball tampering & chucking, which is probably their point with the armbands.

I mean no-one (not even Hair before his removal from the elite panal) calls chucking any more. & I don't blame them, frankly. Can you imagine the outcry if one of the umps had called Shabbir for throwing (correctly as it would've turned out) in the 1st test v us last year?
    There's a huge difference between an incorrect LBW decision and a dubious accusation of ball tampering or chucking. The former involves a spontaneous decision in which a judgment must be made in virtually a second. The latter requires substantial evidence, allows considerable time for observation and has a huge impact on a cricketer's career and reputation. If on-field umpires are too scared to call chuckers and ball-tamperers now, that's fine. The match referee, third umpire or another off-the-field committee should do it.
    Last edited by adharcric; 29-11-2006 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    They still have the authority to make the right the calls, if they don't make the right calls then they should be held accountable
    Then why was no action taken against Doctrove?
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information